Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Resin Bonanza!

I've been showing you the progression of my little project.

Today, I had a great conversation with Greg Wann, who is quite the caster! He made my Ventura hood happen and I couldn't be happier! I had this resin trans kit of a Formula 400 based off the Monogram kit, in 1:24th. Jeff Pierson did the master for Cheesecast, ages ago! I always wanted to do the correct hood underside and air cleaner. Discussions with Jeff led to his mastering the underhood details and air cleaner. This then prompted me to look for some parts that I had from a GTO 1:24th diecast program.

I couldn't ask for two nicer guys to work with, on this little project!!!

After many emails and approval, I'm pleased to tell you here, that I am submitting these parts to Greg for his consideration. If all goes as planned, I will advise when these will be available from Greg and "Holy Grail Resins"! Again, pricing and availability have not been determined at this stage, but I thought you might enjoy the sneak peek!

Greg can be contacted at: mastercaster1@cox.net.

I hope to be doing more "fun" projects with him in the future!

Those that picked up the Ventura Hood from me, can also attest to Greg's quality! 

Here we go...

Aircleaners.jpg.4444f86b3b53e268f3bc219e2097892f.jpg

1 - '70 - '75 Formula 400, 350 and HO Ram Air Package.

2 - '71 - '72 GTO Ram Air Package.

5af6192549d5f_RamAirwMPCHood.jpg.cb6c2157d4d493a7748fb7cb5170af23.jpg

Received many emails asking for fitment to a 1:25th kit. This is a MPC '72 GTO hood. There are mounting pins on the underside that should be removed and final fit should be adjusted.

3 - '68 - '70 GTO Ram Air Package.

IMG_4334.thumb.jpg.e8d2adfce5bd9197a0481998ec44d408.jpg

Shown fitted to a Monogram 1:24th GTO hood.

4 - Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner.

5af61923a6b52_EspritPkg.jpg.f048da1e3927899a618cb9a03313ec60.jpg

Note: I spelled Espirt correctly, here!

5af619247229d_FormulaPackage.jpg.f9fe39adfb9a1d225ba7c7465a384295.jpg

Edited by George Bojaciuk

Thank you George, the conversation was very much appreciated.  I do have a couple of mint unbuilt 1:24 scale Monogram kits, number 2794.  Perhaps the spoiler could be copied and added for body parts.  I also have a mint 76 MPC formula kit that came with the separate fender vents.  This is a 1:25 scale kit so I am not certain of the difference in the physical size between these two bodies.  I thought they might be worth throwing in for fun.  I already have a small mold that makes them.

I really appreciate George offering to help add new products to what I can make and help give business a boost.  I do have lots of original mint unbuilt kits begging to be dipped in silicone so that a Holy Grail can be achieved and be more affordable.  Here are three nice examples and they were pricey kits for me too.  The 67 Camaro is my favorite.  The 69 Camaro has a lot of parts that may have never been offered in resin.  The Torino kit is only missing a window glass but that's OK.  Mike Schnur the vacuum glass expert will create a buck so that a glass would be in the kit.  I know, I know, posting this in George's thread was rude.  I don't think he will mind much.

Pace Car 1.JPG

Pace car 3.JPG

Pace Car 2.JPG

Edited by Greg Wann

Oh yeah....uh, my feelings are crushed! Eh, sorta' not.

I really think we have a golden op to cultivate a good, honest caster, here! Especially, in this ever diminishing field! I'm quite impressed with his quality! Maybe that explains my excitement!

Edited by George Bojaciuk

• 2 weeks later...

The AMT '69 Camaro's RS grille/front end is much more accurate than Revell's. I believe there would be a market for those parts to convert common Revells. I know I'd buy a set or two. 

The AMT '67 Camaro RS grille is also MUCH more accurate than the Revell '67's. I just got several of them from Modelhaus, but with them now OOB, you would have a steady market for those, too. 

Edited by Snake45

http://ponchoperfection.com/

https://horsepowersports.com/clear-wheels-for-your-car-by-forgiato/

Thank you for your suggestions, Snake.  Mike Schnur has looked at this 67 kit.  He said the body is the most accurate one that he has ever seen.  Tim Sickle made contact with me about the parts above.  He writes for Pontiac Perfection Magazine.  He wants some of these parts to write a column about them.

Here is a experimental project I worked on a few years ago.  Someone was selling a concept convertible Camaro body.  I thought a Pontiac Trans Am Roadster was a better idea.  I made a few parts that would be created in a "What If" scenario for a car to be built out of modern materials that were transparent.  I really like the spoiler I made.  Actually if you do a search for transparent wheels.  I found that such a thing really does exist for real cars.  Unfortunately for me my interest is all over the map and I am a horrible organizer too.  I have trouble staying focused on things.  My head gets full of ideas.  I also have a interest in vacuum tube stereo equipment and speakers.  I have built some kits.  It is quite a lot of fun to build these amplifiers.  I am a member of a Audio Video club here in the valley.  The group met at a record shop.  The owner also sells audio equipment.  I mentioned building kits.  He said that he did not think it was possible to build such a thing.  It is a shame that the allure of Heathkit is long gone.  Most everyone today wants that instant happiness.

These gold transparent parts had House Of Kolors Pagon Gold Kandy dye added to the mix.  Transparent resin is not always fun to play with, it can be a real pain.  I also made this hood with the traditional shaker scoop.  At some point I dropped the body and broke the windshield frame off.  The fender vents and spats were in my MPC 76 Formula kit.  The spoiler parts are sanded down wheel spats.  I do like my deck lid spoiler.  One of these 1 to 1 would look cool and have a real attitude!

TAconcepthood1.jpg

TARoadster011.jpg

TransAmconcept15.jpg

TAgoldwheels1.jpg

TransAmconceptupdate001.jpg

Edited by Greg Wann

1 hour ago, Greg Wann said:

http://ponchoperfection.com/

https://horsepowersports.com/clear-wheels-for-your-car-by-forgiato/

Thank you for your suggestions, Snake.  Mike Schnur has looked at this 67 kit.  He said the body is the most accurate one that he has ever seen. 

I've never seen the '67 convertible body but I have two of the hardtops to restore. I'd agree that it's the most accurate except in one area: The sheetmetal right under the rear side windows. AMT got this wrong in '67, MPC got it wrong in '68 and '69 and on the Firebirds too. (I'll have to take a look at the AMT '69 body, I forget how it is on that one.) Revell got this right on the '69 Camaro and the '68 Firebird. AMT's "new" '68 has it sort of right--the whole area under the side windows needs to be reworked (per my tutorial here) but you can get the right shape out of it.

37 minutes ago, George Bojaciuk said:

These vents shouldn’t  be hard to make.

I think making them accurately, in 1/24 scale, is beyond most people's ability, but I think it's important to note they are not present on the body in case somebody wants to build an accurate '71 Firebird.

Is anybody offering Formula or Esprit decals in 1/24 scale?

I have a mint fresh MPC 71 Formula kit.  It would be easy to cast a part that would be much like a photo etch part.  This vent and the 400 script are on the body.  There is probably little physical difference in size.  Perhaps someone local has a Otaki body I could borrow?

17 hours ago, Casey said:

I think making them accurately, in 1/24 scale, is beyond most people's ability, but I think it's important to note they are not present on the body in case somebody wants to build an accurate '71 Firebird.

Is anybody offering Formula or Esprit decals in 1/24 scale?

The Keith Marks Formula stripes would work. They are a bit too big for 1:25,had to cut them down.

Frankly, I was going to do a tutorial on how to make the vents... it really isn’t difficult! I did this years ago when I back dated an AMT Nova to a ‘70. Modelers are very creative.

Instead, I sent a note to Bob at Model Car Garage. I suggested a ‘70-‘73 etch kit to include interior items and scripts for T/A (although most items were stickers), Formula and Esprit. We’ll see how this evolves.

Just note that all my shots and suggestions are preliminary. I think this image is a void that can be filled and that was its purpose. 

I’m hoping to do more with Greg, with the boxes of parts I have at my disposal.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:06 PM, Young iron said:

Talk about the ultimate Pontiac Bonanza : make a transkit from Otaki 1974 T/As to build 1975s and 1976s from the usual Monogram 1978...

Yes...!  75s PLEASE...!!!   I want to be able to make a replica of my old 75 TA I once owned....I loved that car with all my heart.

• 2 months later...