Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1930 model A coupe kit

Peavus

I just bought a pre-production built sample of the five window model A coupe that is due to be released in July( according to modelroundup). It is molded in grey plastic with a GMC blown motor with Halibrand wheels. There are no chrome parts on this car and is the number 5 final sample before kit production. I know nothing about the optional kit parts but what I see in the sample is very cool and should be a good seller for Revell.

Yes the '29 Roadster was first but the '30 Coupe has also been out on the market, how could I else have bought the ones I have. ;)
Because I do have two each of both the Roadster and the Coupe and they were bought at the same time from Model Roundup about a year and a half to two years ago, the copyright date on the kit boxes is 2015 on the '29 Roadster (kit# 85-4322) and 2016 on the '30 Coupe (kit# 85-4326).
The tooling for these kits was appearently damaged after the first run...at least that's the official explanation to why they only were issued once...and with the recent events regarding the Hobbico bankruptcy and the selling of both Revell US and Revell AG to a German company and mostly everything is on hold, so who knows if they ever will come out again.

Here is Tim Boyd's topic when the kit was just released.

Edited by Force

Maybe give Jerry a break guys? We don't know what he's got here.

Thanks for sharing Jerry. My thoughts are you have one of two things.

1) A test shot or built up of the first issue of the 30 Coupe from a couple years ago. There was a highly circulated "leaked" photo of the first test shots of the 30 coupe on someones desk, no chrome or decals yet, and molded in grey plastic 

2) a test shot of the forthcoming re-release of the 30 kit. Since Revell ceased production of the 29 Roadster and 30 coupe  due to rumored "tooling damage" Revell has said they were trying to bring it back. Once test shot has surfaced of the 29 roadster has surfaced, but featuring the Chevy engine from the 30 coupe, instead of the nailhead. Yes, these two kits were designed with a lot of interchangeable parts, but the speculation was that either Revell completely redid the tooling and now the roadster has the Chevy engine, or they are taking the opportunity to do the re-release in a slightly different version instead of a straight re-issue. Since Revell's parent company has now gone through a bankruptcy since then, it remains to be seen what comes of the 29 roadster/30 coupe tooling. 

I have a feeling you purchased one of the first issue test shots. If that's what it is you still have a cool piece of history there.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

53 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Maybe give Jerry a break guys? We don't know what he's got here.

I have a feeling you purchased one of the first issue test shots. If that's what it is you still have a cool piece of history there.

I suspect that's what he has, too, but he could've done a bit of research before posting as his statement was not very accurate, unfortunately. 99.9 times out of 100, you/we/I aren't the first people/person to know any given information.

model-making-9-1263.jpg?ssl=1

The announcement for the release of the RMX '30 Model A Coupe in the "Coming Soon" section of Modelroundup is dated July...2016.  This section of the site hasn't been updated in years.

I would love to see them resurrect the tooling on both Model A kits and while they're at it fix the rear ends so that they have proper "buggy springs" w/banjo diffs, and Halibrand QCs, of course, as an option.  That's the only thing about both kits that disuaded me from buying them.  And, did the roadster come with an up-top? 

Revell announced the return of the 29 Model A Roadster for 4th quarter 2017 and the kit number for it was 85-4463, the original number for this kit from 2015 was 85-4322...but that was well before the issue with Hobbico and the sale of Revell.

I have only been able to post pics of my 68 road runner conversion on this site on the day I joined the forum. For a reason unknown to me, I can’t upload anymore. But the 30 coupe I got was supposed to be the final #5 and has a GMC on a Chevy. I don’t have or have seen a kit of the roadster or coupe to say what parts are in them either. But I can say I saw. 40 standard coupe sample in green plastic that was also purported to be a pre-production sample but I picked the 30 coupe instead. All I am doing is sharing my story to the forum and the rest of you can debate it. I was told by the seller that it was a pre-production sample of the to be re-released kit. If it is, it is like Mr. Mettalic said, a piece or model history.

4 hours ago, Peavus said:

I saw. 40 standard coupe sample in green plastic that was also purported to be a pre-production sample but I picked the 30 coupe instead. All I am doing is sharing my story to the forum and the rest of you can debate it. I was told by the seller that it was a pre-production sample of the to be re-released kit. If it is, it is like Mr. Mettalic said, a piece or model history.

I have purchased test shot parts and a built up Revell 1/16 '34 Ford Coupe and Phaeton kits/parts from seller "stupidtoy99" in the past, so I don't doubt your story:

I'm curious who you purchased the built model from, when, where, etc., especially if they have more available.

There was a copper-colored Revell Trans Am test shot body on ebay a few weeks ago, so they are out there.

6 hours ago, Peavus said:

I have only been able to post pics of my 68 road runner conversion on this site on the day I joined the forum. For a reason unknown to me, I can’t upload anymore. But the 30 coupe I got was supposed to be the final #5 and has a GMC on a Chevy. I don’t have or have seen a kit of the roadster or coupe to say what parts are in them either. But I can say I saw. 40 standard coupe sample in green plastic that was also purported to be a pre-production sample but I picked the 30 coupe instead. All I am doing is sharing my story to the forum and the rest of you can debate it. I was told by the seller that it was a pre-production sample of the to be re-released kit. If it is, it is like Mr. Mettalic said, a piece or model history.

The reason you confused people is that the actual re-released kits will have the engines and wheels swapped so the SBC is going in the '29 Roadster, and the Buick Nailhead is going in the '30 Coupe.  So what you bought is a final pre-production build of the ORIGINAL kit, not something that represents the kit as it will be re-released from the fixed tooling.

Edited by niteowl7710

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

the actual re-released kits will have the engines and wheels swapped so the SBC is going in the '29 Roadster, and the Buick Nailhead is going in the '30 Coupe.  

This confirms my understanding the last time I discussed the topic with Revell management, which was now a quite a number of months ago. 

Given what's happened in the interim, it's anybody's guess as to whether this will actually take place, and if so, when.   TIM 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like someone with an eBay user ID (cynthirowlet0) very close to former Revell Senior Engineer Ron Rowlett is selling some built Revell model test shots, and presumably, is the same selling from which Jerry purchased his Model A:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-1932-Ford-3-5-Window-Coupe-Conversion-1-25-Scale-PRE-PRODUCTION-Test-Shot/153099794001

32test2.thumb.jpg.32067b6a7f883b7fc3b5ea28b5f58f74.jpg32test1.thumb.jpg.3993701b92d8aeb27af65a4770482aa2.jpg

70chevsstest.thumb.jpg.a7f552e781ebd3c886ab1a4271d749ce.jpg

72oldstest.jpg

Edited by Casey

On July 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Casey said:

It looks like someone with an eBay user ID (cynthirowlet0) very close to former Revell Senior Engineer Ron Rowlett is selling some built Revell model test shots, and presumably, is the same selling from which Jerry purchased his Model A:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-1932-Ford-3-5-Window-Coupe-Conversion-1-25-Scale-PRE-PRODUCTION-Test-Shot/153099794001

32test2.thumb.jpg.32067b6a7f883b7fc3b5ea28b5f58f74.jpg32test1.thumb.jpg.3993701b92d8aeb27af65a4770482aa2.jpg

70chevsstest.thumb.jpg.a7f552e781ebd3c886ab1a4271d749ce.jpg

72oldstest.jpg

I ended up winning the 70 chevelle auction ..... Just hope these are real deal test shots and not good fakes ...