Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1930 model A coupe kit

Peavus

6 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

I ended up winning the 70 chevelle auction ..... Just hope these are real deal test shots and not good fakes ... 

You should ask the seller for a note indicating the built model came from a former Revell employee-- assuming who I think the seller is related to is, in fact, the person she is related to. Look back at the many review topics and you'll see many other built up test shots molded in this same grey color, so I would feel very confident they are what they are represented to be. Revell has been using grey plastic for test shots for quite a while:

IMG_1561.jpg

On July 24, 2018 at 9:33 AM, Casey said:

You should ask the seller for a note indicating the built model came from a former Revell employee-- assuming who I think the seller is related to is, in fact, the person she is related to. Look back at the many review topics and you'll see many other built up test shots molded in this same grey color, so I would feel very confident they are what they are represented to be. Revell has been using grey plastic for test shots for quite a while:

IMG_1561.jpg

I specifically asked her if she was related to the Revell engineer  bearing a similar name.  She had a very sly reply ,  and I took it as confirmation .  She also stated when I asked her for more test shots that she did have more to list ....  Among other Revell items ....

Well considering in addition to the abrupt exit the company took when the sale when done, Hobbico owed most of the staff quite a bit of money from salaries and their ESOPs - so it's not exactly shocking that some of them would...err liquidate some of those not exactly for public consumption items they have of value.

15 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Well considering in addition to the abrupt exit the company took when the sale when done, Hobbico owed most of the staff quite a bit of money from salaries and their ESOPs - so it's not exactly shocking that some of them would...err liquidate some of those not exactly for public consumption items they have of value.

Hhmmm... shades of JoHan?

1 minute ago, Bainford said:

Hhmmm... shades of JoHan?

No shades of I have a bunch of test shots, and I bet I can sell them for something on eBay to collectors.  JoHan employees were allegedly scrapping tooling inserts while the company was still in it's last days of operations.  The only tooling that was still stateside by the time Hobbico closed was stuff they didn't think was economically feasible to send to Hong Kong.  The Dodge Ramcharger is one of the more recent "Made in America" reissues, and that thing hadn't seen the light of days since the 1991 Gone Fishin' reissue.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

No shades of I have a bunch of test shots, and I bet I can sell them for something on eBay to collectors.  JoHan employees were allegedly scrapping tooling inserts while the company was still in it's last days of operations.  

It has been said the JoHan employees were also owed money while still working. That is why they did what they did. That is according to the guy selling stuff at the Detroit shows who claims to be one of the guys that cleaned out the place after it closed. He had a big supply of bodies and parts  just no complete kits. 

This is all fine and dandy and makes for great conversations on a club meeting etc.. But what I really want to know is what is going to happen in the future. Are we going to see the kit reissued and when? I believe this is what this section of the forum is for. Honestly, what reason Johan's employees had to do some shady BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH has nothing to do with Revell's '30 kit. 

So do we have any info on future release of this kit? 

42 minutes ago, mrm said:

This is all fine and dandy and makes for great conversations on a club meeting etc.. But what I really want to know is what is going to happen in the future. Are we going to see the kit reissued and when? I believe this is what this section of the forum is for. Honestly, what reason Johan's employees had to do some shady BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH has nothing to do with Revell's '30 kit. 

So do we have any info on future release of this kit? 

They are already quite a few topics in the Reviews section discussing the Revell '30 Model A Coupe, and while the title of this post does relate to that very kit, it seems to me to be more about a "look what I found"/"look what I got" than an actual review/discussion of the kit itself.

Not sure if this is the earliest post discussing the 1/25 Revell '30 Model A kits in the Car Reviews section or not:

If you want drama and speculation, that exists, too:

Nobody is going to be able to answer until the New Revell puts out some type of press release and lets the public know what its plans are, or unless someone with inside info is willing to share it. Now, that won't stop anyone from speculating, but if you are genuinely wanting to know, all you can do is wait.

24 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

Revell stuff ? Ready to sell some of them ?? 

I don't have any, but clearly this person who's "closely related" to the Revell Engineer who's been screwed over on his retirement and salary has a pile, I noticed one of the Baldwin Motion '70 Chevelle on eBay the other day.

On 5/20/2018 at 12:46 AM, niteowl7710 said:

The reason you confused people is that the actual re-released kits will have the engines and wheels swapped so the SBC is going in the '29 Roadster, and the Buick Nailhead is going in the '30 Coupe. 

Oh great. I bought several copies of the roadster while it was still available, but was really looking forward to the coupe with its nice SBC engine and different wheels. Now if I want that engine and wheels I have to buy MORE roadsters? Fabulous. :rolleyes:

Of course, that's assuming that either of these kits is EVER available again. 

Makes me want to give up on rods and go back to '60s musclecars. :angry:

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Oh great. I bought several copies of the roadster while it was still available, but was really looking forward to the coupe with its nice SBC engine and different wheels. Now if I want that engine and wheels I have to buy MORE roadsters? Fabulous. :rolleyes:

Of course, that's assuming that either of these kits is EVER available again. 

Makes me want to give up on rods and go back to '60s musclecars. :angry:

Just goes to show you can't please everyone.  I'm sure there are roadster fans who were happy that they wouldn't have to buy the coupe to get the wheels and engine.

15 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

, I noticed one of the Baldwin Motion '70 Chevelle on eBay the other day.

It just arrived .... The guys in the shop are giving it the "once over" to make sure it's good , lol ! 

Anyone with a production kit handy that can tell me if the air cleaner got engraved mesh ? It's just smooth and plain on this one . 

image.jpeg

On 7/29/2018 at 2:18 PM, Dale Gribble said:

It just arrived .... The guys in the shop are giving it the "once over" to make sure it's good , lol ! 

Anyone with a production kit handy that can tell me if the air cleaner got engraved mesh ? It's just smooth and plain on this one . 

image.jpeg

Cool looking shop!  Show us some more please.

19 minutes ago, bbowser said:

Cool looking shop!  Show us some more please.

It’s pretty much in every pic I take from some angle  . It’s a slightly modified Crown Premeiums Snap On modern garage . I use it for a backdrop and storage , the lifts come in handy for my modelers A.D.D.

• 2 years later...
On 7/26/2018 at 8:00 AM, tim boyd said:

It has also been my experience that Revell primarily used that gray color for most of their test shots, but I have also seen Revell test shots in lime green and terra cotta colors as well.....TIM 

I don’t know how I stumbled back onto this topic again ....but I ended up purchasing another test shot and you’re right ,they like to use weird colors ....so far I have some salmon colored ones, some gray ones, a white one and now this lime green one...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg