Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone buying Revell kits just in case?

nope and don't see any reason to, the secondary market will keep us supplied for many years, look how many kits are listed at any given time, almost 130K right now on Ebay automotive, and very few kits are so rare you might never see them again

The only ones I've purchased "just in case" are 2 Chase Elliott Chevy SS Nascar kits as I bought aftermarket decals without having the kits in hand. Figured I should make sure I get them on hand just in case. Anything else, well, like so many are fond of saying, plenty of kits in my stash.

No, and I can't say I've seen any kind of "run" on them locally.  Last week I bought the new-issue Thunderbolt kit for $13 (didn't have one with the small hubcaps; this issue has two sets of tires and four sets of wheels).  At an IPMS show last month, I picked up three NASCAR kits for a buck apiece.  Two were sealed.  One was a notchback Monte Carlo SS (needed the body to replace a damaged one in another kit), another was a Cartoon Network car (I'll buy those for cheap if I don't already have them), and the third is an early Eighties "brick" Thunderbird (I was looking for one; for a buck I'll grab it).  When Hobby Lobby was blowing out the '57 Ford gasser wagons, I did snag one of those as I did want another one.  I don't "need" any more Bronco or '76 Torino kits, and other than the '69 Boss 302, can't think of any upcoming stuff that I'll want.

I've bought a few that were on the list of must-haves anyway, but mostly when I've seen them for really good prices. The post-bankruptcy speculators bought out a few before I got to them, so I tend to move when I see something now, rather than waiting.

My income is going to be taking a massive hit in a few months, so now's the time to stock up for the future. 

Yeah, like I really need more models.  :D

Not panic buying (yet), with the Thousand-Year Stash in the basement. For right now, I'll just have fun watching the eBay geniuses pitch their '76 Torinos and Broncos as "RARE! OOP!" for $149.99 each.

Mark said: "At an IPMS show last month, I picked up three NASCAR kits for a buck apiece."  Sounds right. Almost every week at a big local flea market, somebody has  NASCAR kits for sale, Revell, old Monogram and AMT . And even more NASCAR die-casts.  I talked to an estate-sale vendor once at that flea market who bought more than 1,000 NASCAR kits and die-casts from a recent widow.  He paid her $1 each for them, and said he was having trouble even selling them for $2 each. 

I've bought a few I would have bought "eventually" but hadn't really planned to anytime soon--'62 Corvette, '32 5-window, and Bronco Baja. Got them with 50%, 55%, and 40% off coupons, respectively. 

I have some, picked up a second Foose Caddy, second Lincoln Futura (for less than $20 on that one too!), two more prefinished ZL1 Camaro kits for engine and trans donors (3 so far), plus a Honcho and Foose F-100 kit. Pretty much anything I may have a future interest in as a project or parts car.  Still looking for more though.

Not really. I have bought a few of the newest releases that I wanted, but only because everywhere I look they are back ordered. Probably pick up a new 53 chevy cuz I've never built one. Maybe a Foose Caddy cuz I haven't had one of those yet either..... BUT I never did a Custom Caddy, and those things are way outta my budget now.... :blink:

Edited by KWT

1 hour ago, KWT said:

Not really. I have bought a few of the newest releases that I wanted, but only because everywhere I look they are back ordered. Probably pick up a new 53 chevy cuz I've never built one. Maybe a Foose Caddy cuz I haven't had one of those yet either..... BUT I never did a Custom Caddy, and those things are way outta my budget now.... :blink:

I've been buying from Michaels and Hobby Lobby and using their 40% off coupons, of the kits I bought, the Lincoln Futura us the only one that I didn't buy at one of those two.

I've bought more Tamiya kits than anything.  I have found them for around the same price as the Revell kits they just take a long time to get here.  I did go to Hobby Lobby a few times to pick up the kits I wanted when I heard about the bankruptcy but I soon realized all the kits they had that I wanted were MPC and AMT (Round 2).  All my Revell kits have come from Amazon because they have the best price even with the 40% coupon.  I did get two kits from Michael's with 60% off... now that was a good deal... but they don't have much to chose from.  Mostly, I like race cars, especially F1 and GT/Prototype cars... but basically anything with a lot of decals.

Too much unnecessary and baseless hysteria-fueled speculation about Revell's future. For all anyone knows, the new owners might decide to continue maintaining a corporate presence here in the U.S. Besides, unlike Johan kits, Revellogram products are as plentiful as cockroaches in a New York City tenement.

I haven't bought any models in a while! I actually go into Hobby Lobby and Michaels and look and leave without buying. Even though there are many I wold love to have.

I guess I have finally realized that the world will end before I ever finish what I already have in the closet!:lol: