Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone buying Revell kits just in case?

I'm not going out of my way to buy any kits, but I am trying to go ahead and buy stuff that I want when I can get it. I've been burned way too many times in the past by waiting too long and something either is no longer available or only available at 3 times the original price.

I'm hoping this all ends well. Revell isn't my favorite model company but they have a lot of stuff that I do want.

Russ

I'm definitely not planning to buy kits just to speculate, but there are several Revell kits that I always said I'd eventually like to get one.  I figure that time is now, since there's no telling what the future holds.  I don't think Revell kits will be unavailable, but the new owners may not be offering as wide of a selection as the previous Hobbico-owned Revell, or reissuing kits as often.

And of course, who knows how the new owners will be pricing things and setting up US distribution? (Tim Boyd's recent post is reason for concern)  But let's be realistic: one thing we can all be certain of: Revell kit retail prices aren't going to get cheaper than where they're at now, so why not try to buy up now while the opportunity is available?

Just the other day I got a couple extras of the vintage Revell '29 A Rat Rod (Monogram-branded)pickup,since its a treasure trove of vintage rod parts.  Also want to get one or two more of the '32 5-window kits for parts as well, if I can still find some for cheap.

Edited by Robberbaron

5 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I've noticed that Hobby Lobby is not restocking the Revell kits as they sell out. Lots of empty spots on the shelves.

Yup, same here.  They briefly had the 1985 Olds 442/FE3X and the factory stock 1970 Charger, now no more.  Same for my LHS.

Luckily I got one of each.  Wanted to get more,  but not sure if that's going to happen now.

Edited by Robberbaron

6 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I've noticed that Hobby Lobby is not restocking the Revell kits as they sell out. Lots of empty spots on the shelves.

Probably has a lot to do with the change in ownership and distribution. I suspect the new owners will get Hobby Lobby re-supplied as soon as they can seeing how they are the only large retailer selling Revell kits. Michaels and AC Moore stock them, just not in the variety nor does it seem they sell as well, IMO.

To be honest, I've bought a couple Revell products lately (66 suburban and Baja Bronco). Not necessarily due to the bankruptcy, but because they are subjects I'm VERY interested in and am unsure of future availability. This is different from just buying Revell kits to hoard them for future sale because they may have higher monetary value down the road.

I have bought just one Revell kit since the announcement, a 66 Suburban, and I paid less for this one than the other one I purchased. I plan to get a Jimmy Flintstone Panel Delivery body. I tried to get one last weekend, but the price was ridiculous, so I'll either wait, or do it myself. I have all I want except for the 69 Boss 302, and I am not going to buy that one site unseen.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just saw the start of the silly pricing. The new Foose F100 was listed for a few pennies less than $300 with best offer.

Never a shortage of greedtards. There are two more listed for a somewhat more reasonable $100 or so. Funny, many of the other Foose kits are up for less than 20 bucks.

10 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just saw the start of the silly pricing. The new Foose F100 was listed for a few pennies less than $300 with best offer.

With that kind of price jump, that is a better return than my 401k is giving me. I better get all my kits listed on eBay today and hope there are enough gullible buyers out there to help me with my retirement fund.

I have gotten a couple that I wanted but mostly buying Tamiya as they have more that I want.  Got an email from Hobbylinc today that says "Tamiya is Raising Their Prices !!"

They are getting me from both sides... Tamiya and Revell

Apparently I nabbed a Foose Ford just in time. I don't buy many kits these days (too many already), but decided I wanted one a month or so back. Went down to my LHS only to find they were out of stock and weren't due for a couple of months, so I went home and found one on EBay for around $20. The bankruptcy thing happened just after that. I guess I lucked out - looks like prices are rising, at least for now.

6 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Apparently I nabbed a Foose Ford just in time. I don't buy many kits these days (too many already), but decided I wanted one a month or so back. Went down to my LHS only to find they were out of stock and weren't due for a couple of months, so I went home and found one on EBay for around $20. The bankruptcy thing happened just after that. I guess I lucked out - looks like prices are rising, at least for now.

If I need some parts or the kit I will try to pick it up if the price is right..I didn't  get the 30 Model A and I got was burned twice once by the broken die  and Revell bankruptcy. You never know when you might see a kit again...

Edited by slusher

honestly. i have more kits that i can build for the rest of my life in my stash. if i never buy a kit again, and continuously build as long as i can, i dont think i would run out. 

problem is, i have to have a want to build a specific car. i cant just build a car to build. i have to have an idea in my head about it. Usually to put around a diorama that never gets started. 

before the news.....Couple Broncos ... '30 Ford coupe,  '29 Ford roadster, the Foose pickup... Foose Caddy ... Baja Bronco

After the news...... Bought another Foose Caddy for parts , might get another Baja Bronco ,

......picked up a Mad Mudder the're getting hard to find at a decent price, but that kit has been OOP for a while now... 

as alot of members said.... I don't ever have to buy another kit, and will never build all I have in my life time