Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ron Olson 3D specialties

lou s

Just got drag parts from R.O. 3Dspecialties.they look great.has anyone used these parts and if so what do you use to clean them before you primer.they are small parts and I'm afraid if there is residue on them I'll have a mess on my hands.olso does anyone know how to contact Ron Olson.i have a question or two.On his shape ways page there is a contact but for some reason it will not allow me.thanks for your time

I've ordered a few pro mod bodies from Shapeways.They are great looking cars.But they require a ton of prep work.Sanding,filler,etc.I tried to reach Ron one time,but I never received a response.All I know,is that 3D printing is the future,or the present,lol,of model building.This is a 66 Nova pro mod I bought a few months ago.

IMG_2578.PNG

I'VE SOAKED ALL MY FROSTED DETAIL PARTS FROM SHAPEWAYS IN THE PURPLE CLEANER YOU CAN GET AT WALLMART, OR DAWN DISHWASHER WORKS WELL. FINALLY SOAK MINE IN ALCOHOL, THEY SHOULD WHITEN UP AFTER THIS. I ALSO HAVE HAD BETTER LUCK PRIMING SMALL PARTS USING AN AIRBRUSH

I BELIEVE RON IS A MEMBER ON THIS FORUM, HE IS ALSO ON FACEBOOK AS 3D MODEL SPECIALTIES

Got parts coming from Ron myself, I asked him about the cleaning and he said that he had already soaked them in alcohol to clean them.  But I will do a re soak after dry fitting everything before priming.  Henry is correct Ron does a very good job and has been very helpful.

RON ALSO HAS HIS OWN PRINTERS, THE LATEST IS A SLA PRINTER THAT PRINTS DETAIL PARTS BETTER, BUT IF YOU GET SOME OF RONS PARTS FROM SHAPEWAYS, THEY MIGHT NEED MORE CLEANING THAN THE ONES YOU GET DIRECTLY FROM HIM.

40 minutes ago, Kronic Designs said:

No Shapeways does the 3d printing, Ron and TDR (Tim) Submit the scaled designs for the printing.

Ah,gotcha,thanks for clearing that up.Ive just been buying straight from Shapeways,but maybe I'll start ordering through Ron himself.

Thanks for the info.

• 9 months later...

Lou, not sure why you can't join the facebook group. Please try again. I also had to run off communication from the Shapeways store, as I was getting MANY emails every day asking to create custom parts for folks, which I don't have time to do anymore.

Edited by rolsen

what!?!?!  no time to do custom parts!?!?!  what's the world coming to!?!?!   only joking Ron....you do some of the best work that I've run across when trying to get more accuracy in my models...thanks for all you do!  I will be getting more parts from you!!

• 2 weeks later...

I`m about to order some 1/16th 19" dragster front tires. They look great in the photos and not that expensive. Also thinking about the 1/16th blown 392 Chrysler (rather expensive but very well done)! I`d really like to see same scale rear tires ( M&H Racemaster or Goodyear "Blue Steak" ). Working on a mid - 60`s top fuel car. Tires would help a lot! Is there anybody else who makes the tires in 3D?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ron,    I am having some very bad dealings with Shapeways.    I ordered a 1/18 scale Model No 7197324  Brodix 572 and received a 1/8 scale Model No 7216761 Brodix 572.  I have asked to return the incorrect item and receive the correct engine.  They have told me it's your problem and I should contact you and keep the incorrect engine.   Can you help me here?    Thanks Rich