Model Cars Magazine Forum

Won this yesterday in a raffle at NNL Mid-Atlantic.  The plan is a JDM Legend shop truck inspired build.

Image result for mpc datsun pickupImage result for jdm legend shop truck

The head end of the truck bed is cast integral with the truck cab.  I cut it loose and attached to bed as the 1:1 would be.

DSCN54442v2JkLbbuxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

The sit/stance of the real one you posted is very similar to what I hope to achieve with mine. Giving serious thought to putting a SBC in it. I was just gonna graft in a whole Camaro subframe but discovered that the truck is SO much narrower than a Camaro that THAT wasn't at all practicable. 

Great build idea for this kit. I have seen this little truck on the weekly program and really like the look. If this has been built like their customer's car it should be a fun little hauler. I would double check what all they had done to the engine since I think it has been changed from stock. Try and replicate that engine and the wheels are a big part of its appearance also.

19 minutes ago, espo said:

Try and replicate that engine and the wheels are a big part of its appearance also.

He said he was gonna build it "inspired by" the shop truck, so I'm not sure he's concerned about 100% replication accuracy of every detail. B)

The plan, right now anyway is to use the go fast parts from the kit on the engine.  A nice set of wheels/tires will be the big challenge to get the right look.

Edited by afx

Yeah the 6 lug thing is kinda a bummer (even on the 1:1)....    although in this other photo I found, the wheels look like 6 lug smoothies painted white.   You can probably source centers and make a lip?    

IMG_4486.thumb.JPG.abbd44b7730f0ab0321617e19adb3941.JPG12-series-smoothie-primer-6-lug_2.png.b6d6b7b58d61a6886107ea9b6991e458.png

That is if you want to make more of a replica...  either way consider me subscribed to this one, I love these trucks!   

3 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

You can just re-barrel one of the kits wheels and I used the Air Horns from a Tamiya kit on a Revell Datsun 510 L-16 that look just like those. 

"Air Horns" is that what the fender mounted mirrors are called Jesse?

Edited by afx

The interior tub attachment to the frame determines the cab position.  I replaced the feeble kit locating pins at the front and added (2) more at the rear.  Also added a cleat to the back of the interior and a corresponding one on the cab.  This firmly defines the vertical position of the cab.

DSCN5449

Now even dry fit (no glue) the interior is locked securely into place.

DSCN5452

Sanded off the molded on wiring detail at the inner fender/firewall and filled some ugly ejector pin marks.

DSCN5455

Lowered the front suspension several scale inches.  This is a little risky without having the final wheel/tire combination determined but I'll make it work.

DSCN5448

Jesse was right the kit does have the same wheel center as the JDM truck but unfortunately the kit only gives you (1).   I managed to graft the center into another deep offset rim. Now I just have to find (3) more or hope I can convince someone to cast a set for me.

DSCN5458DSCN5461

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

LOL! No, I meant for the carbs! Mirrors I would grab from a Fairlady kit 

Air Horns - had never heard that term before. :)  Think I'm skipping the mirrors. I know they are ubiquitous for the JDM look but I'm not crazy about them.

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Check with PPP resin products for a set of early NASCAR rims.  They have a six bolt somewhat wide rim.

This kit has some deep steelies but don't really want to rob them.  I'll look at PPP - thanks.

Image result for buick skylark stocker model kit

As for the "Six Lug" issue. There has to be a ton of Black Widow 6 lug wheels sitting in parts boxes all over the Forum. With the deep set outers it should be fairly easy to create the wheels if they are a must have. I like how you setup the cab mounts.    

I'll look at the Black Widow wheels David-thanks.

Janne, the kit is an old tool and requires a lot of cleanup and fitting but I have seen some very nice builds of this kit. 

Edited by afx