Model Cars Magazine Forum

I love the idea of cutting the bed bulkhead away from the back of the cab and gluing it to the bed assembly... the way MPC should have done it to begin with. :) I might have to give that a try- numerous test fits with my kit (and even more with the body from the Mini Monster version) haven't led to satisfactory results but your solution looks like it'll work just fine. 

I started working on this same truck just a few nights ago. Thanks for showing how you separated the truck wall from the cab. I did the same after seeing how well yours turned out.

Pleased show some updates!!!

Edited by Daxman
Removed link

Thanks Mark & Gary.  Chuck & Dax - making the bed a complete assembly is the way to go.   I still need to decided on a wheel/tire combo.  My 924 project has been taking up my bench time at the moment.

Edited by afx

AFX really love the build so far. Look forward to starting mine. If you need those wheels cast in resin let me know. I have the kit so I will take a look at that wheel this weekend. Can easily make a bunch. 

58 minutes ago, shucky said:

AFX really love the build so far. Look forward to starting mine. If you need those wheels cast in resin let me know. I have the kit so I will take a look at that wheel this weekend. Can easily make a bunch. 

Would love a set of the wheels Mike - sent you a PM.

• 2 months later...

Mark & David, I've been tied up on my Porsche builds but the Datsun is waiting on the shelf beside my workbench.  A fellow forum member helped me out with some nice wheels, just need to find a set of tires I like for the build.

7 hours ago, afx said:

Mark & David, I've been tied up on my Porsche builds but the Datsun is waiting on the shelf beside my workbench.  A fellow forum member helped me out with some nice wheels, just need to find a set of tires I like for the build.

Are you opting out of casting the wheel you already made? If you are not going to use it immediately, I would like a shot at adding the lug detail, and then creating a mold. 

Here are the wheels the forum member shared with me.  I don't want to use his name for fear he will be inundated with request from others. These are his photos.  He shows them with nice stretched side wall tires.  I would prefer a standard side wall tire for this build but haven't found one that I like yet. I prefer his outer rim to the one I chose.  My plan is to add lug nut detail to my wheel center and use it with his rims.

1A119B06-FAB3-482C-BFBA-38206463F939.jpeg2E6C0C6D-AAB2-4B87-929A-9C86E24B0786.jpeg593B6F65-7967-4EBF-B2E7-A49E53FB5D5D.jpeg

On 8/20/2018 at 12:03 PM, afx said:

Here are the wheels the forum member shared with me.  I don't want to use his name for fear he will be inundated with request from others. These are his photos.  He shows them with nice stretched side wall tires.  I would prefer a standard side wall tire for this build but haven't found one that I like yet. I prefer his outer rim to the one I chose.  My plan is to add lug nut detail to my wheel center and use it with his rims.

1A119B06-FAB3-482C-BFBA-38206463F939.jpeg2E6C0C6D-AAB2-4B87-929A-9C86E24B0786.jpeg593B6F65-7967-4EBF-B2E7-A49E53FB5D5D.jpeg

sweet!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up.one of these.from Hobby Lobby tonight (thanks 40% off coupon) just because of this thread. Looks great so far, I'll be following this thread for sure.  I'm happy to see your work to seperate the bed back from the cab, I'll give that a try. I think I'll  build mine as the off road racer. I'll try to use some small off road tires from my parts box to make it look more off roadable (is that a word?), maybe the small ones from the Mountain Goat kit I have left over. Keep up the good work.

Jeff