[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanks to you and this project and the fact that I had one years ago I just ordered this kit from Hobby Lobby. Looks like I may build another model and not a Cobra ! I blame you ! :D Very interested in your progress.

Not the first time I've been a bad influence. :D  Looking forward to your build Ray.

Edited by afx

I love the idea of cutting the bed bulkhead away from the back of the cab and gluing it to the bed assembly... the way MPC should have done it to begin with. :) I might have to give that a try- numerous test fits with my kit (and even more with the body from the Mini Monster version) haven't led to satisfactory results but your solution looks like it'll work just fine. 

I built this kit when it came out the first time many years ago...loved it.

I bought two of this kit last year, one to build stock and the other to build like you are doing. Love the inspiration.

I started working on this same truck just a few nights ago. Thanks for showing how you separated the truck wall from the cab. I did the same after seeing how well yours turned out.

Pleased show some updates!!!

Edited by Daxman
Removed link

Thanks Mark & Gary.  Chuck & Dax - making the bed a complete assembly is the way to go.   I still need to decided on a wheel/tire combo.  My 924 project has been taking up my bench time at the moment.

Edited by afx

Looking forward to more on this one. Just started mine and may need to borrow an idea or two.

I'll keep an eye out for your build Ray.  I show the techniques with the intent to share them - hope they work for you.

AFX really love the build so far. Look forward to starting mine. If you need those wheels cast in resin let me know. I have the kit so I will take a look at that wheel this weekend. Can easily make a bunch. 

58 minutes ago, shucky said:

AFX really love the build so far. Look forward to starting mine. If you need those wheels cast in resin let me know. I have the kit so I will take a look at that wheel this weekend. Can easily make a bunch. 

Would love a set of the wheels Mike - sent you a PM.

I started mine. Was thinking of going with a BRE scheme but went another route,

The mention of the BRE scheme reminded me...  

Image result for wheeler dealers datsun

Recent Wheeler Dealer episode... they took this sorry old Datsun 510 with a rattle can BRE paint scheme and did a rather nice job restoring it!   

3 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Looking forward to seeing more on this one.

Me too!!  I have been wanting to see one of these built

for very long time!

Mark & David, I've been tied up on my Porsche builds but the Datsun is waiting on the shelf beside my workbench.  A fellow forum member helped me out with some nice wheels, just need to find a set of tires I like for the build.

7 hours ago, afx said:

Mark & David, I've been tied up on my Porsche builds but the Datsun is waiting on the shelf beside my workbench.  A fellow forum member helped me out with some nice wheels, just need to find a set of tires I like for the build.

Are you opting out of casting the wheel you already made? If you are not going to use it immediately, I would like a shot at adding the lug detail, and then creating a mold. 

Here are the wheels the forum member shared with me.  I don't want to use his name for fear he will be inundated with request from others. These are his photos.  He shows them with nice stretched side wall tires.  I would prefer a standard side wall tire for this build but haven't found one that I like yet. I prefer his outer rim to the one I chose.  My plan is to add lug nut detail to my wheel center and use it with his rims.

1A119B06-FAB3-482C-BFBA-38206463F939.jpeg2E6C0C6D-AAB2-4B87-929A-9C86E24B0786.jpeg593B6F65-7967-4EBF-B2E7-A49E53FB5D5D.jpeg

On 8/20/2018 at 12:03 PM, afx said:

Here are the wheels the forum member shared with me.  I don't want to use his name for fear he will be inundated with request from others. These are his photos.  He shows them with nice stretched side wall tires.  I would prefer a standard side wall tire for this build but haven't found one that I like yet. I prefer his outer rim to the one I chose.  My plan is to add lug nut detail to my wheel center and use it with his rims.

1A119B06-FAB3-482C-BFBA-38206463F939.jpeg2E6C0C6D-AAB2-4B87-929A-9C86E24B0786.jpeg593B6F65-7967-4EBF-B2E7-A49E53FB5D5D.jpeg

sweet!!

While I am not a fan of the stretched tire trend, as I can not imaging it not impacting the performance, they somehow look REALLY good in this application. I can see that wheel combo working very well in a few projects I have going.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Great project, I'm sure it'll look cool finished, man it looks cool now!

Some of the older exotic car kits have tires that might work, a bit small for the exotic car but probably perfect for this? (Testarossas, F-50, Countach, etc.)

Any updates on this? I would love to see it. This is a great build

Project is not dead just waiting it's turn. :)

Just picked up.one of these.from Hobby Lobby tonight (thanks 40% off coupon) just because of this thread. Looks great so far, I'll be following this thread for sure.  I'm happy to see your work to seperate the bed back from the cab, I'll give that a try. I think I'll  build mine as the off road racer. I'll try to use some small off road tires from my parts box to make it look more off roadable (is that a word?), maybe the small ones from the Mountain Goat kit I have left over. Keep up the good work.

Jeff