Model Cars Magazine Forum

6 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Would the front tyres from the aoshima kennmary skylines fit?

I can't tell you Leslie as I don't have that kit.  The rims that were cast for me are 16" wheels (outside diameter 17.2 mm).  The rim I made is a 15" (outside diameter 16.2 mm)

9 minutes ago, afx said:

I can't tell you Leslie as I don't have that kit.  The rims that were cast for me are 16" wheels (outside diameter 17.2 mm).  The rim I made is a 15" (outside diameter 16.2 mm)

I just measured the set i have and they are smaller. Clearly scale have some to fit their vw rims that should fit, they do from 14-16 in 1/24

Here is what I have come up with so far.  The tire is from the Fujimi Porsche 356  I know R&M has these in his catalog.  The lug nuts look a little big I might try another set.  You need a fairly narrow tire to fit in the rear wheel wells.

DSCN5729

• 4 months later...

Thanks Bruce.

To lower the truck:

At the front I cut down the cross member mounts to raise the lower swing arms.  Then removed material from the top of the spindle to bring the hub farther up into the wheel well. As the engine sits on top of the cross member I will have to make some adjustments to keep the engine low enough to allow the hood to close.

DSCN5453

At the rear I removed the shackles completely from the rear of the springs and deeply notched the frame rail to raise the front spring mounts. To get it any lower I would need to separate the molded together axle and springs and add lowering blocks.  I'm choosing not to take that step as the axle is flimsy and I don't want to risk weakening it.

DSCN6070

Edited by afx

Very nice work!   

Heading back to a previous post....about air horns/ velocity stacks...

I found a nice assortment pack of wire ferules on amazon that work perfect for these, and you get a ton of usable sized ones for $7.29!  Just a heads up!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I93KA90/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_E0143.thumb.JPG.b3cc8edce2c2b64f7c0ef1fe8a84576f.JPGIMG_E0695.thumb.JPG.69573dcbdf19fb0644d4d2237f7b00d7.JPG

Edited by Impalow

WoW JC ! 

First Falcons and now Datsuns.  I have owned three of these 620s and would love to find another one. My '78  2.0 5spd with a Weber was the most fun to drive. I built a number of the old MPC variations as a kid. Now you will have me looking for another one. 

Turns out Erick I had some of those wire ferules in the stash.  Had to make a low profile oil pan because of the raised front cross member and still had to notch it for the tie rod. Carefully drilled the distributor to accept wiring.

DSCN6073

Edited by afx

image.png.760f80c63d3e887cfc13698d02609fe9.png

Nice little project.  Those mini pickups from that era are actually not bad kits!   I have one, still seeking an idea.

Finish yours up for NNL East.  Our Diversified colleagues will have the big diorama up full of Datsuns this time!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thanks Tom.  Its a fiddly kit, parts require lots of cleanup and I've added many locating pins get a strong/secure fit.  Had to section the back half of the passenger side frame rail (+/- 1 mm) to center the wheel in the opening.  I'm building up the frame and suspension completely and will paint it as an assembly. I like the truck so its worth the effort to me.

I've heard NNL East is a great show but I have never attended.  I will probably display the truck at our club's show NNL Mid-Atlantic.

Mid_NNL_2019.jpg

Edited by afx