Model Cars Magazine Forum

Piranha Drag Team

Stevens Int'l has it listed as a future release - AMT 1113 , Piranha Drag Team, $63.95 MSRP

The trailer will likely be the same as in the recently reissued Fireball 500, and the "street" Piranha much the same as the Super Spy Car. RC2 reissued the drag Piranha within the last decade or so, but it will be neat to see them all together in one box again, as it's been a while:

3d27dc03-a0ae-4491-b77d-05529cf482f4.jpg

Edited by Casey

Well, if Round2 is having success releasing this type of combo kit (Cobra race team) this one would be a no-brainer since all the components are known to be viable since they have been run within the last 15 years. Add some unique decals and be sure to include some of their excellent series of tires and they should do well, especially if they use the excellent vintage box art.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I wonder if a Corvair-powered, plastic-bodied (i.e. light) street car could really (and safely) pull a trailer with a race car on it? 

Oh well, it's only styrene....:lol:

Pulling it is probably possible, I mean once you got it moving, if there are no hills to climb and all of that. It's the stopping it that would get messy.

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I wonder if a Corvair-powered, plastic-bodied (i.e. light) street car could really (and safely) pull a trailer with a race car on it? 

Oh well, it's only styrene....:lol:

The original XM561 Gama Goat prototypes were powered by a Corvair engine.   It pulled its own built-in, non-removable trailer (actually part of vehicle).  According to quick searches, the Corvair engine tended to overheat, among other problems.  It was replaced by the GM (Detroit Diesel) 3-53 three-cylinder diesel positioned right behind the driver's head...forcing drivers to wear mandatory hearing protection.

ga_go.jpg

amtpiranhadrag1.jpg.3c2f245bf8c67589ba46c35028990ff2.jpg

amtpiranhadrag2.jpg.b4c5840330d080fb9d20d158d6cda935.jpg

piranhadrag6.JPG.79327c648c93d515c8b840d7c3d71e4b.JPGamtpiranhadrag3.jpg.75baced30126eafdb0126165d44b492f.jpg

amtpiranhadrag4.jpg.1a73f427528b8971288a8dbf98aecc77.jpg

amtpiranhadrag5.jpg.a23447112dcb28f23ab844c965dd20cb.jpg

The below image shows the yellow-to-bronze paint color fade at the bottom of the body shell, and I think we all have an extra AMT Ford C-series flatbed kit in the stash, right?:

amtpiranha7.jpg.27a6cd92ccc1d7c4a55b6a31f6468b44.jpg

That's interesting:

piranhaconcept.jpg.a840cc2a06e1819fb7a9118ccd0461a9.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, nitro norman said:

Great to see the Piranha back ( hopefully ,with all the decals and proper front wheels

The flyer above states they have addressed both.

18 minutes ago, nitro norman said:

just wish they would release the Piranha only.

They are releasing the Piranha dragster as a stand alone kit, too, as AMT kit #1122.

35 minutes ago, Vince Nemanic said:

I would take the pics from the Garlits Museum with a grain of salt. Not that they didn't get the paint job correct-there is no fogging at the bottom of the body. I don't think they were TOO historically accurate with the restoration. 

Big Daddy awaits that big check from you to do the paint properly! 

Image result for don garlits museum of drag racing

23 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

I would take the pics from the Garlits Museum with a grain of salt. Not that they didn't get the paint job correct-there is no fogging at the bottom of the body. I don't think they were TOO historically accurate with the restoration. 

Very true, but the pics do help pick out some details-- something very useful for those who build scale replicas.

As for the rear push bar tubing, the more recent pics of the Piranha show a different style pushbar, but then, even AMT elected to leave that completely off. Unless...nope not going there. :D

Edited by Casey

I think Garlits and the crew have the ability to do the job correctly, but as my brother  in law said after visiting the museum, "They don't exactly appreciate historical accuracy. To them they're just old race cars". I think that if it is supposed to be THE Drag Racing Museum and it goes to the trouble to obtain the original cars, there is a disservice being done to the history of the sport if incorrect "restorations" are done. If the cars aren't restored authentically, why not sell them to somebody who will do it right and use the money to build cars "inspired" by the originals?

The mere fact that Garlits had the forethought to save all these cars is to be commended. Most of them ended up as rusty tubing in backyards and garages. Some where bought up by a shady parts dealer back in the 70's and early 80's who parted them out and cut up the chassis. He did what he could with what he had and saved all that he could. All this while still campaigning a full race team. 

Sure, the cars are not up to "Concourse" condition, but at least they are all together and accessible to us Nitro types to go see them. Personally, I have never been there, but I hope to remedy that situation soon. And one must also keep in mind that Museums are not exactly profit makers and depend mostly on sponsors and donations. 

And for someone that saw this car before the restoration, at the Hot Rod Reunion years ago, I appreciate what he has done with it. 

• Like 1