Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car related abbreviation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DWIG - Damnit! Where'd It Go?!

Usually happens right at the end of a successful build sequence, when you drop a piece that is crucial to the entire project, and it hits the ground normally but then does that *crazy bounce that sends it skipping off to the most unlikely place you'd ever look.

* this acronym is NOT reserved for scale modeling alone...in fact, the effect is directly proportionate to both the size and price of the dropped component in all projects. 

[EDIT] I just saw that Jantrix beat me to the cleverness...I'm still going to hold out that my shorter acronym is more efficient, though, and carries the same emotional weight. :D

Edited by jean-lloyd

On 7/16/2018 at 9:50 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Question - can someone tell me what the "pau" means in the Under Glass heading? I've been wracking my brain every time I go there.

I was going to ask the same question and I found this thread . . . with no answer!  Anybody?  What is "pau"?

4 hours ago, peteski said:

That relates to model cars?

Yessir....when RL gets in the way of building models. Happens to me a lot! LoL

I've had a lot of RL issues over the past year and a half that kept me out of the HR (Hobby Room).

8 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

pau (pow). Actual Hawaiian word, used constantly, meaning finished or done. Chee, I thought you pau already! ... Another actual Hawaiian phrase. Means after work.

Thanks Bruce - living on the right coast (New England) I have never heard that.  Another mystery solved. :)

8 minutes ago, peteski said:

Thanks Bruce - living on the right coast (New England) I have never heard that.  Another mystery solved. :)

It's definitely present in this forum, though..since Gregg lives in Hawaii...i see 'ohana' and other Hawaiian terms here. 

13 hours ago, Bucky said:

Don't know that one, but "RL" stands for "Real Life".

Also seen as part of 'IRL' (in real life).   Not to be confused with IRL-Indy Racing League,  though if I say "I've been to IRL races IRL' that is a true statement...;)

GSL = Greater Salt Lake (short for the big model car convention; originally annual, lately bi-annual and the next, final, one will be in three years).

UFO = UnFinished Object

SBC = Small Block Chevrolet (engine)

BBC = Big Block Chevrolet (engine)

SBF = Small Block Ford (engine)

MEK = Methyl Ethyl Ketone (nasty solvent that is a very good styrene liquid cement but is/can be hazardous)

AMT = Aluminum Model Toys, Authentic Model Turnpike, or?

ET = (drag racing) Elapsed Time