Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old MPC / AMT '28 Model A todor Sedan Rumored to come back

Teenage girls worry about what's fashionable.  What we embrace as traditional used to be considered horribly unfashionable until people came to their senses,  and there seems to be growing interest in the later 60's style of rod.  Give it a few more years, and people will be grumbling about the lack of decent billet parts.

I think every era manages to produce something good.  Some just produce more than others.

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Dennis....I did just that back in the mid 1980's.... 2v8SZAHMx9hi3o.jpg

(Turns out exposed color camera film wasn't such a good idea for tinted windows after 35+ years of shelf life)....more pictures including detail shots here..... TIM 

I've seen that before, love it! :D

Here's as far as I got on my project but at least I started doing something with one of these...

007-vi.jpg

011-vi.jpg

001-vi.jpg

48 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks Chuck....of course, I didn't show this picture.... DSC 0105

Yep....that's a simulated milled aluminum instrument panel and velour cloth to simulate carpet!!!   Talk about the '80's!  Cheers....TIM 

Looks like a power washed barn find Tim, 

;)

7 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I've seen that before, love it! :D

Here's as far as I got on my project but at least I started doing something with one of these...

007-vi.jpg

011-vi.jpg

001-vi.jpg

Dennis......that is SO tasty....man, you gotta finish that!   Is the engine the Olds from the Revell Roth Outlaw kit?  TIM

Guys....this morning John Greczula at Round 2 asked me to post this message from him on his behalf....

"Gentlemen,

After receiving multiple direct emails and learning of this thread, I feel the need to quell some of the lather that seems to be foaming over the edge of the glass of conjecture: Make no mistake. The '28 Ford project has been on the radar, in the hopper, etc. for quite a while now. A certain veteran AMT Kat and I discussed it at length, years ago already. The tool exists but is far from usable in its present state. As you all know, the majority of it was repurposed for the '29 kit. There is VERY little left in the tool and the gaping holes left by the removed inserts would need to be filled with new blocks containing sprue lines designed to flow plastic to what IS there. This is not a trivial or inexpensive process. However, it is something that I want to see happen as much as the rest of you.

As for just including the parts with a reissue of the '29 pickup/woody, well, I'd rather do it right. Some parts no longer match with the '28 parts. Further, if we were to spend the money to resurrect this kit, we'd need every sale possible. A large portion of the mass market clientele would not want to have to "figure it all out" for themselves. You guys? Sure, you could do it with your eyes closed. But to make the investment worthwhile, it'd have to be a little more accessible to modelers of lesser skill.

Rest assured, it's at the top of the list of kits to try and bring back. I make no promises, as there's always some unexpected problem that gets in the path of making headway on some of these cool projects, but we do listen, we do care, and we do what we can to keep the entire available market at least a little bit happy. 

Thanks for your interest and support.

John "

PS - Greg or other Mods....please delete the image below from this post....I am unable to do so for some reason.....thanks  TIM 

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Meh, another old kit. Would rather see something that hasn't been done before.

I get catering to the old guard, and keeping them happy, but this is the sort of kit that repels youth away from the hobby.

My 2 cents.

I understand what you're saying but years ago Revell tried the tuner thing with nicely done Ford Focus, Acura Integra and Honda Civic. I don't believe they sold that well. Enough so to discourage putting more money into such types of kits again. So do you put your money where you know there is a demand or into something you hope might bring people in but you loose big time if they don't sell? It's a difficult call. It seems to work well for the Asian manufacturers as the hobby is alive and well in other continents but just not, it seems, in North America.

I get catering to the old guard, and keeping them happy, but this is the sort of kit that repels youth away from the hobby.

My 2 cents.

Well, Tom Lowe (Round 2) understands clearly that Baby Boomers and older are his bread and butter, so he's going to ride the reissue gravy train as long as it goes until it hits the end of the line...so it wouldn't surprise me if this gets reissued..

Gotta go with the old guard here. I would like to see a '28/'29 Ford Tudor Sedan. If not a restored tool, then an all-new kit. I doubt an all-new kit would have a stock build option, but the aftermarket could take care of that. It has been popular as a hot rod for decades. 

3 hours ago, peter31a said:

I understand what you're saying but years ago Revell tried the tuner thing with nicely done Ford Focus, Acura Integra and Honda Civic. I don't believe they sold that well. Enough so to discourage putting more money into such types of kits again. So do you put your money where you know there is a demand or into something you hope might bring people in but you loose big time if they don't sell? It's a difficult call. It seems to work well for the Asian manufacturers as the hobby is alive and well in other continents but just not, it seems, in North America.

I think the issue withthe tuner cars is that the old guard didn't buy them. Also, that's three kit options for the younger guys. Not that much selection. No look at a Camaro. How many Camaro kits have been produced over the past 5 years? I'm guessing a dozen at minimum. It's tough, what do you make that will satisfy everyone?

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Well, Tom Lowe (Round 2) understands clearly that Baby Boomers and older are his bread and butter, so he's going to ride the reissue gravy train as long as it goes until it hits the end of the line...so it wouldn't surprise me if this gets reissued..

Totally get it. But let's be real here. The older guys are dying off, and if the brands can't figure out how to lure in younger peopel to replace them, the hobby dies.

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The idea that modelers might not share the same interests continues to be a difficult concept for some. 

Kudos to the folks at AMT for being willing to make the effort on this kit.

Kind of exactly what I'm talking about here. Not everyone cares about cars that were old when their parents were born.

I think the issue withthe tuner cars is that the old guard didn't buy them. Also, that's three kit options for the younger guys. Not that much selection. Now look at a Camaro. How many Camaro kits have been produced over the past 5 years? I'm guessing a dozen at minimum. It's tough, what do you make that will satisfy everyone?

Totally get it. But let's be real here. The older guys are dying off, and if the brands can't figure out how to lure in younger people to replace them, the hobby dies.

I could see the old brands like AMT, MPC, Lindberg dying off when the older crowd eventually leave the hobby.   There is opportunity for new brands to arise that make modern subjects relevant to younger modelers.   I'd certainly like to see more modern subjects available--both domestic and import..and beyond the narrow focus of Camaros, Corvettes, etc.. 

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

My 2 cents.

I think it depends on what the youth has been exposed to in their short lifes. If a kid grows up today and is exposed to the same things that I was exposed to in the 90s (I'm born in 84) then they will like that and a whole lot of other stuff that Round 2 has and is reissuing.
What was I exposed to?
I saw movies such as American Graffiti, Bullit, Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, Cannonball Run and many others. I saw tons of older tvshows like A-team, TJ Hooker, Airwolf, Fall Guy, Knight Rider, BJ and the Bear and Lassie (and many more). And because of Lassie I did end dreaming of a mid 60s Dodge pickuptruck and finally bought one two years ago.
A friend of mines father had a room in his house filled with old carmagazines (most of them from the 70s-trough the late 80s) and we used to sit for days on end in their drooling over hot rods and classic cars in every shape.
So, would I buy the 29 Model A if it came back, yes I would.
And my oldest son (wich is now 5 years old) call all old cars (1920-trough to 1940s) for hot rods because I have called some of them for that. And he thinks they are cool and he also likes to try and build my modelkits:)

22 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I could see the old brands like AMT, MPC, Lindberg dying off when the older crowd eventually leave the hobby.   There is opportunity for new brands to arise that make modern subjects relevant to younger modelers.   I'd certainly like to see more modern subjects available--both domestic and import..and beyond the narrow focus of Camaros, Corvettes, etc.. 

If that's so, why haven't Moebeus, Trumpeteer or any of the other new companies already done them? Tamiya and Fujimi have done modern cars for decades and they have never sold in huge numbers in the US market.

Is it because the millennium generation doesn't build? I don't think so. Military and aircraft kits sell to younger builders, so it's not that.

Could it be that not enough millennials or anybody else find the new cars INTERESTING ENOUGH to build? I'm willing to say, perhaps.

It's kind of like NASCAR. Once all the cars became the same jellybean, the market died out. Who wants to keep building the same sedan designs over and over again, regardless of what name is on the grille?

Just my 3 cents.?

Edited by Oldcarfan27

20 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

If that's so, why haven't Moebeus, Trumpeteer or any of the other new companies already done them? Tamiya and Fujimi have done modern cars for decades and they have never sold in huge numbers in the US market.

Is it because the millennium generation doesn't build? I don't think so. Military and aircraft kits sell to younger builders, so it's not that.

Could it be that not enough millennials or anybody else find the new cars INTERESTING ENOUGH to build? I'm willing to say, perhaps.

It's kind of like NASCAR. Once all the cars became the same jellybean, the market died out. Who wants to keep building the same sedan designs over and over again, regardless of what name is on the grille? 

It's so tiresome to see the same old, same old old subjects reissued over and over again.   There a lot of interesting current cars---heck, even going back 20-30 years-- that would be interesting to see in scale that haven't been done...I can't be the only one interested in cars, trucks, and SUV subjects from this century.. a hobby that is only focused on the past has no future. 

Edited by Rob Hall

28 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Just my 3 cents.?

That was worth at least a dime.

Sameness does get pretty boring with both monotonously bland bodywork and monochromatic color options available for eggs on wheels. Interestingly, in my area, parentally-subsidized playcationers favor cars from the '40s - ''70s. Cars from the early '60s through the mid '70s are the most popular with the Quaids and Haydens. I haven't seen so many Corvairs, Darts, El Caminos and other old fart faves around here since they were sold as new.

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Interestingly, in my area, parentally-subsidized playcationers favor cars from the '40s - ''70s. Cars from the early '60s through the mid '70s are the most popular with the Quaids and Haydens. I haven't seen so many Corvairs, Darts, El Caminos and other old fart faves around here since they were sold as new.

What's funny about that is that a lot of the retro rockabilly guys and gals at the current 1:1 car shows are around 30 years or younger. And they're driving old cars. Now who's living in the past?

Even they like 'em.

And the Japanese spend TONS of money to buy them!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Patrick, some of this retro stuff goes a bit too far. Back in 1997, Me and a couple of friends went to a bar on E.10th St. & Ave. B (area known as Alphabet City) called the Lakeside Lounge. We were hanging out at the bar when this chick who looked like Ethel Mertz's mother walked in and pulled up a stool at the bar. She was wearing a gaudy red strapless dress and tons o'Max Factor to compliment her peroxided hair. My friends and I are staring at her and one of them asks her, "What're you supposed to be?" She answered, "I'm 1959." 1959 what? "That's it, 1959." :rolleyes:  A regoolar mental case, she was.

• Xingu locked this topic