Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Pontiac GTO promo build

fordf-100

I picked this up at a local show for $15. It was painted silver and I assembled and missing a couple parts. I polished it up put some BMF on it, did a little detail painting a set of custom wheels from Steve Zimmerman? Could be wrong on that, memory ain't what it used to be! Didn't Come out too bad! Comments always welcome!

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

Nice score--lotsa guys looking for those '70 MPC GTOs, kits, glue bombs, promos, whatever. Do you think it was painted silver at the factory, or did someone do it? 

I have one, red on red with "factory" clearcoat. Does yours have a special number on the license plate molded into the rear bumper? That was part of some special Pontiac contest or giveaway that year, but I don't know what you could win. 

I like those wheels a lot. They look great on it. Nicely done!B)

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Nice score--lotsa guys looking for those '70 MPC GTOs, kits, glue bombs, promos, whatever. Do you think it was painted silver at the factory, or did someone do it? 

I have one, red on red with "factory" clearcoat. Does yours have a special number on the license plate molded into the rear bumper? That was part of some special Pontiac contest or giveaway that year, but I don't know what you could win. 

I like those wheels a lot. They look great on it. Nicely done!B)

Thanks for the comments! I think this was painted by someone, looked like it was originally red. The body was also twisted and you can still see it just doesnt "sit right" . The rear bumper just had 1970 on it. I have a couple other promos of this that are beat up and I might have to dig them out and check and see what is on there rear bumpers, I didnt know any were different! I always try and pick these up at shows and stuff, you dont see the kit around too often anymore, I wouldnt mind seeing this come back out!