Model Cars Magazine Forum

Isn't it time....

khier

I really appreciate Revell's efforts with the '57 Ford Custom and Del Rio. However, isn't it time to have an '58 and/or '59 Ford? Perhaps Revell can make use of the tools and research that went in the Impala to bring a lower level '58 Chevy , or a decent '58 Pontiac/Olds/Buick, and possibly a Cadillac? I mean when was the last time when these kits were made? I will not be surprised if they date back to the original model year.

Walid

13 minutes ago, khier said:

I really appreciate Revell's efforts with the '57 Ford Custom and Del Rio. However, isn't it time to have an '58 and/or '59 Ford? Perhaps Revell can make use of the tools and research that went in the Impala to bring a lower level '58 Chevy , or a decent '58 Pontiac/Olds/Buick, and possibly a Cadillac? I mean when was the last time when these kits were made? I will not be surprised if they date back to the original model year.

Walid

Yes to all the above

Revell's current caretakers have a bit more to worry about right now than putting out new product. But... yes, I'd be all for some '58 and '59 variants off the '57 Ford tool. I'd even be good for at least a couple more spin-offs from the year '57. (Stock-proportioned Ranchero, anyone?) 

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think that it might be a good time for all of us to start throwing all of the support we can muster behind companies like Moebius.

The way it's beginning to look, they may be the only ones producing kits I'm interested in the not too distant future!

Steve

There, fixed that for you...

18 hours ago, edboys said:

Without having access to accurate info about the sale it is all unsubstantiated rumor and info.

Current news I've heard is that all inventory in the pipe line right now must be liquidated before the 'New' Revell can even begin to produce any product.

Once the 'New' Revell does get back to producing new kits under their banner the new kits will obviously be more expensive because they will now be supplied by an oversee company. Everyone get ready for kits over $35.00!

Your post is a pretty big dichotomy within itself. You begin by saying without access to accurate info it is all unsubstantiated rumor, and then in your next sentence you share an unsubstantiated rumor. I may have missed the official announcement from Revell AG that says they have to "liquidate" all current inventory before they will produce more product, but I don't think I did. Feel free to correct me if I did.

And also, just because a foreign company now owns what was Revell US doesn't automatically mean higher prices. Revell AG has made no formal announcement how they plan to distribute their product in the US.

Sorry, not trying to single you out. Just getting fatigued by all of the  endless speculation around the Revell situation.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

12 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Revell's current caretakers have a bit more to worry about right now than putting out new product. But... yes, I'd be all for some '58 and '59 variants off the '57 Ford tool. I'd even be good for at least a couple more spin-offs from the year '57. (Stock-proportioned Ranchero, anyone?) 

Would love to have a stock Ranchero of any year. Maybe one based on the 70-71 Torinos. With the big block and some GT stripes that would be a killer kit.

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

There, fixed that for you...

Funny, but whether your interested in the subject matter or not, the kit manufacturers in America are slowly becoming extinct.

If we have nothing left but the Japanese producers in the next decade, the hobby will be all but dead in the US, & that will be the beginning of the end for the rest of the world.

Steve

Bear in mind, that in today's model car kit market, a lot of thought has to be given as to just how many units of a kit (which invariably means different versions of the same basic tooling) can be projected to sell.  It can take, easily 150,000 units of any kit subject sold, in a fairly short period of time 2-3 years, for today's model car kits to be truly profitable, put enough $$ back into the bank account for enabling the development of new kits.  In truth, relatively few car subjects can do that as strictly a "one hit wonder".   Generally this means that the subject has to be readily adaptable to different body styles, perhaps even  1 or 2 different model years (with hopefully lower cost of tooling than the original!).  While not every potential "modified reissue" of a newly tooled kit may be obvious to the average model builder, if it can be planned at the outset, or easily so done after the fact, as long as the tooling is laid out so as to "leave the door" open for future developments, that's a big plus.  But, for this reason, very few "one hit wonder" subjects make any real business sense to do, given the substantial investment required for any all-new model car kit tooling.

Art

Art,

Do you really think Revell will have hard time selling '58 or `59 Ford? You can take the sales of the '59 Skyliner as a reference. If they can sell this ancient kit, why would it be difficult to sell a newely tooled '59? I am not talking about Mercury (although I think a '59 Mercury will sell as good), I am talking about Ford.

And you may add '54-'59 Continental to the list.

23 hours ago, edboys said:

Everyone get ready for kits over $35.00!

Revell AG sells 1/24 kits for about $25 in Germany, including 19% VAT. This includes the models produced with Revell US tools, like the '58 Corvette.  Revell US has been selling Revell AG kits for years at the usual price level as their own kits. Why would the Price jump to $35 when the same practice continues?

Walid

32 minutes ago, khier said:

Art,

Do you really think Revell will have hard time selling '58 or `59 Ford? You can take the sales of the '59 Skyliner as a reference. If they can sell this ancient kit, why would it be difficult to sell a newely tooled '59? I am not talking about Mercury (although I think a '59 Mercury will sell as good), I am talking about Ford

The Revell '59 Ford is just as you say, "ancient", and that's why it keeps popping it's head up.

The tooling already exists & has for decades, so pulling out an old mold and re-popping a kit costs nearly nothing compared to an all new tooling.

Nearly all of the cost of a new kit rests in he development & mold making process, & in this age, that cost is huge.

I agree that a '58 or '59 Ford would probably do pretty well, but the only question in the manufacturers mind is, will it do well enough to justify the huge investment & will they make money on the deal.

Steve

1 hour ago, khier said:

No, I am not aware of that. I have just read it here.

Walid

Well both Revell US and Revell AG  are sold to a company named Blitz 18-313 from Munich Germany, so you might be able to convince them to do the kits when all has settled down. ;)

2 minutes ago, Force said:

Well both Revell US and Revell AG  are sold to a company named Blitz 18-313 from Munich Germany, so you might be able to convince them to do the kits when all has settled down. ;)

I'd agree. Revell wasn't the reason Hobbico failed. Both Revell US and Revell AG were very focused in on their customer base. Revells kits over the last decade have been very focused on the 40+ crowd once they realized that the 14 year old was no longer the target demographic. And since new (and really good) kits have kept coming, it's obvious that the plan was working. I highly doubt that Blitz will change a business plan that is working. We may see a delay in kits we were expecting in the future as they pull in the oars and take stock of where they are, but it will eventually start rolling again. I have faith that a business will always stay with what works. If New Coke taught them anything, it's that.

3 hours ago, Force said:

Funny, this company was established 19.1.2018...... only 4 months old.

Walid  

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Funny, but whether your interested in the subject matter or not, the kit manufacturers in America are slowly becoming extinct.

If we have nothing left but the Japanese producers in the next decade, the hobby will be all but dead in the US, & that will be the beginning of the end for the rest of the world.

Steve

I don't see how. Revell is on the ropes, but Round 2 and Moebius are pretty active... though Moebius is quite a bit more active in the new material department. I know Round 2 is pretty bad with endless reissues, but every so often they bring back something thought to be long lost, and even the straight reissues at least have nice decals. Revell was relying strongly upon reissues too, while still squeaking in a new kit or two each year. And that's before we get into the resin and 3D printed stuff... both full kits and parts for existing plastic kits. Even if all of the domestic kit manufacturers disappeared tomorrow, there'd still be the aftermarket. Gripe about the prices of that stuff if you like, but come on... you know you'll pony up if you want the subject badly enough, right? :) The military modeling market went through a period of time with fewer and fewer manufacturers and new realeases, and the aftermarket stepped up. That was about 20 years ago and that segement still thrives... and new plastic kit makers in that area have sprung up since. The loss of the "big guns" might lead in to more diversity in the hobby as far as subject matter goes. There will come a day when a home user can buy scanning equipment, borrow Uncle Bob's old family car to scan, and print out a 1:25 scale '58 Ford two-door post. No, not every modeler will purchase that technology, but the ones who do will make their product available to others. Somebody out there will bring subject matter that lights your fires. 

As far as having nothing but the Japanese manufacturers... I'd be perfectly happy building nothing but Fujimi and Aoshima kits for the next 80 years or so. :) But who knows? Even they might step in to fill out the void... prior to Revell's release of the '70 'Cuda, I seem to recall there being interest in a full detail 1:25 kit of that very subject.

I guess what I'm trying to say, if there is a market for it, the companies will find a way to bring it to market. The model car hobby/market may not look the same in ten years time, but it'll be around. Ancient Romans built scale model chariots, for Pete's sake... as long as there are transportation devices, people will miniaturize them for fun. 

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Not very close to being  factual Steve, the hobby does not revolve around the USA, the hobby will not die if there is no "American" companies producing kits.  If you really think all those Japanese  companies are gonna close up shop because we are not producing kits, then I got some primo land I would like to sell you;)

Edited by martinfan5