Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette America

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Boy, is that thing the answer to a question nobody asked. Yech.   Image result for puking

There you go, channeling the late great Col. Jeff Cooper. "An ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem." B)

Something CAN be done with it.

Note....I did this after picking the kit  up real cheap at my LHS.  I was kicking myself for making such an idiotic purchase, so I just had to do it. 

No, I wouldn't recommend this insane project to anyone else.  

zz1.JPG

zz3.JPG

2 hours ago, pack rat said:

Note....I did this after picking the kit  up real cheap at my LHS.  I was kicking myself for making such an idiotic purchase, so I just had to do it. 

Beautiful salvage job on that unit! The original was UGLY!!

On 5/18/2018 at 3:43 AM, pack rat said:

zz1.JPG

zz3.JPG

That's a really good job at converting the 4 door back into a stock 81. But wouldn't it have just been easier to use the Monogram 82 snapper and the 78 chassis? That's what I did, the parts fit perfectly, and no body work. 

Although, you now have me thinking about doing a Corvette 4 door Wagon! Or how 'bout a hearse?

Hmmm, Now where can I get one of those America kits.....

I love this thing. It conforms with my motto, "anything different is good." I'm considering thinning out some models, but this won't be one. The question is, do I build it stock or convert it to a 4-door wagon to really exploit that corvette sacrilege?

10 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

I love this thing. It conforms with my motto, "anything different is good." I'm considering thinning out some models, but this won't be one. The question is, do I build it stock or convert it to a 4-door wagon to really exploit that corvette sacrilege?

Oh my yes! Wagonate the thing to really drive the joke home. That would look even better than the "stock" eyesore the kit is now. Go for it!

49 minutes ago, High octane said:

I had a Corvette America kit before but don't know what I did with it. Wish I had a few more as the wire wheels, engine, and side view mirrors are great parts for other builds.

All those parts are in the "Miami Vice" Daytona kit. 

On 5/30/2018 at 4:18 PM, Can-Con said:

All those parts are in the "Miami Vice" Daytona kit. 

That's probably what happened to the America kit, so we'll never see that one reissued. And just when we were getting so many ideas, too!

BTW - it was a real car...

hqdefault.jpg.99e067fe5d24175c27cd2526a63f0b1f.jpg

On 5/29/2018 at 9:18 PM, Lunajammer said:

Or how about an American Limo?

Or 4 door roadster?

A Phaeton, using the roof from a Monkeemobile?

A Corvette Summer Sedan?

An Uber Cab?

Sorry, I'm not feeling well.???

12 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

That's probably what happened to the America kit, so we'll never see that one reissued. And just when we were getting so many ideas, too!

BTW - it was a real car...

hqdefault.jpg.99e067fe5d24175c27cd2526a63f0b1f.jpg

I understand the company that did the conversions made 6 of them. 

14 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Or how about an American Limo?

Or 4 door roadster?

A Phaeton, using the roof from a Monkeemobile?

A Corvette Summer Sedan?

An Uber Cab?

Sorry, I'm not feeling well.???

Vistacruiser type wagon--with wood sides. Pull THAT off tastefully (and I think it could be done), and you are a modeler, my friend!