Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 330P4, Fujimi,1/24

Matt Bacon

Probably the best-looking sports prototype ever (though I might need to build a Gulf GT40 to sit next to it, to be fair). I was going to post up a full step by step build, but it's really not that complicated... maybe the Heller kit with the full engine would be a different story. Anyway, a few WIP shots:

330-chassis-parts.jpg

Black, Tamiya flat aluminium, and Tamiya Titanium gold.

3330-cockpit-parts-1.jpg

Interior. The previous owner of this kit had snaffled some of the seatbelt hardware, so I have some not-strictly-prototypical Eduard Sabelt harnesses on the way...

330-dash.jpg

Dash with decals: my very sharp new compass cutter was a godsend in trimming the HUGE carrier film so they'd sit in the bezels properly.

330-body-1.jpg

This is why I love the Zero Paints basecoat plus 2K Diamond Clear system so much. Straight out of the paint booth...

330-body-with-lights.jpg

Some Humbrol 33 Matt black and Molotow Chrome for the lights.

330-wheels.jpg

Wheels with (mostly) gold by Fujimi. Still got to do the tyre decals (the backwards kind I learned about on the FXX-K...)

It's a very neat kit that goes together remarkably easily, and (did I mention...?) will look awesome when done...

best,

M.

19 hours ago, Lizard Racing said:

I disagree: I think the 330 P4 was THE best looking racecar of the period, maybe ever. Dig those sensual curves.

Ditto! We should put together a top 10 list of the most beautiful road race cars of the 60's and 70's. I'd start with the Ferrari, add in the Pantera  that ran at Le Mans and the Trans Am Javelin....anyone else?

I'm game... (though it depends on what we mean by "the period"...)

1. Ferrari 330 P4

2. Ford GT40

3. Cooper Jaguar T38

4. Maserati 250S

5. Lola T70 Coupe

6. Alfa Romeo T33

7. Aston Martin DB3S

8. Jaguar D-Type

9. Ferrari 250TR

10. Jaguar E-type Lightweight...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Thanks, guys... steady progress today:

cockpit-from-left.jpg

cockpit-from-right.jpg

The only issue so far has been that I couldn't get the dash console to fit around the central brace between the seats, so I just cut the bottom and the last switch off. Not sure what I did wrong, but evidently something wasn't right...

with-front-wheels-1.jpg

with-front-wheels-2.jpg

chassis-and-shell-2.jpg

Time to start building the back end now, I reckon...

best,

M.

Very nice job!  This is a kit on my someday list.  Feel lucky I got the HRM resin engine for it (still waiting on the Porsche 917 engine).

Definitely top of my list too.  The 917 is on the list, add some Lotus and Jaguars.

Thanks, all! So, the back end... what of it there is... is built:

top-down.jpg

You do wonder if somewhere out there is an "Enthusiast Model" version of the kit with full engine, body frame and suspension, because what I've got here looks a lot like the non-EM version of the Dino 246, which I also have the full detail version of. The absence of engine is kinda noticeable (but won't show when it's finished, I'm pretty sure).

tail-end-close-up.jpg

tail-end-close-up-2-with-highlights.jpg

This what you get. The silver lumps in the red circles are the tops of the wheel carriers, which are attached to... nothing. The lower end fixes to the lower suspension arms, and that's all that's supporting the rear axle. The rear springs (in the green circles) are moulded as part of the M-shaped piece which also includes the exhaust 3:1 junctions, but they don't attach to anything at the bottom, just resting against the front end of the lower suspension arm. There's a spare wheel to mount above the transmission housing, which will hide even more...

complete-chassis-with-body-1.jpg

body-with-complete-chassis.jpg

Sadly, the tyre decals haven't stood the test of time, so I have some (new) aftermarket alternatives on the way...

best,

M.

Hi,

W0W this is looking very very very beautiful.

One of my favorite cars of all time, combined with the 350CanAm and the 212E Montagna which all look very similar.

Oh I forgot, the 312P was a stunner as well, Fisher has a 2 versions of it.

Edited by aurfalien

23 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

You do wonder if somewhere out there is an "Enthusiast Model" version of the kit with full engine

Hi,

HRM has a really nice engine kit for this bad boy.

Not to pile on more work for yourself, but it may be worth having a looksie.

https://public.fotki.com/steelers43/historic-racing-min/hrmp4engineblt1.html

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 1.33.32 PM.png

Edited by aurfalien

The guy certainly does beautiful work! I think that if you were going to go this route, the extra $15 to buy the set with all the rear suspension and accurate body parts as well as the engine would be well worth it:

https://www.modelbuilderswh.com/collections/engine-kits/products/ferrari-330-p4-engine-and-detail-kit-1-24th-scale

Otherwise there's a tonne of scratch building to do around that masterpiece of an engine...

best,

M.

4 hours ago, afx said:

Great build Matt.  The HRM set includes the suspension parts.  The photo above only shows the built up engine. 

Hi,

Yes, as per its description;

Historic Racing Miniatures. Complete V-12 engine along with cockpit bulkhead, rear suspension, driveline, brake hoses /intakes, fuel tanks and pumps & more.  Use with Fujimi 330 P4 kits. 1/24th scale.

Matt, I'd love to see you get and install it into your already wonderful project.

HRM also does the engine alone:

https://www.modelbuilderswh.com/collections/engine-kits/products/ferrari-330-p4-engine-kit-1-24th-scale

That's kinda my point: I don't know why anyone would buy just the engine and have to do all the rest of the stuff scratchbuilt, when for $60 instead of $45 you get everything you need.

Sadly, at this stage I'm not going to stall the project, pay twice as much for resin as I did for the kit, and make life much more complicated for myself (this was supposed to be an easy "slammer" built in a couple of weeks to chill out after the complexity of the FXX-K, after all ;-P)

best,

M.

Thanks, guys. @Brian, you're too kind ;-P

The chassis and body are pretty much done now:

chassis-finished-2.jpg

chassis-finished-1.jpg

The tire decals are from BVH, a German company. They do a sheet of multicoloured  Firestone, Goodyear and Dunlop logos. They are regular waterslide decals, so to keep them on, I applied them onto a patch of Microscale Liquid Decal film pained onto the tire (I figured that it would still be a bit flexible once dry), and then matt artists' varnish over the top once they'd set nicely.

inside-in-briefly.jpg

Then I put the two together, and discovered...

oops-more-paint-needed.jpg

That you can see the raw plastic of the inner walls through the "shoulder scoops", so out the chassis came again, and some near-as-dammit-the-same-colour gloss red was applied...

Meanwhile, finishing touches to the body are done:

bodyshell-finished-2.jpg

bodyshell-finished-1.jpg

Final assembly and decals tomorrow, I reckon...

best,

M.