Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nismo 350Z / Fairlady Z

IJ001

Been a while since I posted a car build here, that's almost certainly because I haven't finished one in a while, however...

So, as usual for a Tamiya car kit, it’s perfectly engineered with fit so finely tuned that it almost doesn’t require glue for some of the larger pieces. Build took almost no time at all, painting the insides however… that was another story !! – I knew precisely how I wanted it to look before I even bought the kit, and just for once, I’ve built exactly what was in my minds’ eye.

Talking of the paint, I’ve used my ‘default setting’ and gone with two Tamiya rattle-cans – Metallic Grey and Chrome Yellow, simply polished with and off-the-shelf ‘cutting agent’, no clear coat as we can’t get ‘Gravity’ or ‘Zero’ brands here and I simply don’t trust anything else.

As ever please feel free to shout abuse, ask a question or make a comment. Have a great weekend all.

Ian.

g.jpg

5 interior 1.jpg

5 interior 2.jpg

5 interior 3.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

e.jpg

f1.jpg

On 5/18/2018 at 11:30 PM, Jantrix said:

Well done. Your first photo is a great example of how to detail paint molded in chassis parts.

Interesting you say that, Rob, I love that part of the process, contrary to a lot of folks who do the barest minimum, I find it very therapeutic.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Stand-by for a 911 GT2, coming to this forum very soon. 

Ian.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:40 AM, jchrisf said:

Looks great.. I just ordered this one.. is this the one you are getting ready to start?

stripes 1.jpg

Yep, Chris same kit, and yes it was all black plastic when it came out of the box !! - Space Coast, eh ??, I was there three weeks ago !!

Ian.

Edited by IJ001

Absolutely stellar work, especially the dash. I found it interesting that the exhaust comes out of both sides of the engine, narrowed into a single tube, then split again just before the rear bumper...other than aesthetics, why did they bother?

21 hours ago, IJ001 said:

stripes 1.jpg

Yep, Chris same kit, and yes it was all black plastic when it came out of the box !! - Space Coast, eh ??, I was there three weeks ago !!

Ian.

I hope you enjoyed your stay and got to watch a rocket launch...

Hey that is an awesome build too.  I look forward to watching your progress as mine is coming from Japan and will take 5 weeks to get here.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:51 AM, jchrisf said:

I hope you enjoyed your stay and got to watch a rocket launch...

We did, saw the (Thursday) launch from the I4 heading back to Ormond Beach. Got a few laps at Daytona too !!

Ian.

DSCF0223.jpg