Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hotwheels is 50!

51 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

One thing I have to clarify though on my part is not all of those original 16 HW's were stamped 1967 on the chassis. IIRC, there were China made versions (IMO better detailed, and nicer wheels and chassis), which I've seen stamped 1967. There were US made ones as well during that time which had slightly different wheels, "non hole" chassis, and clear glass as opposed to this China made one's tinted glass, and those were tagged as 1968 on the chassis.

China? We weren't even trading with China yet in 1967, or '68. Are you saying that Chinese-made ones stamped '67 or '68 are more recent counterfeits/fakes/forgeries? 

Yeah, I meant Hong Kong...............As Rob said many of them were made there as well as here in the US. The more valuable HW's are the Hong Kong ones as they're nicer with better details. Nicer mags and tires, as well as the tinted windows which I mentioned about earlier.

On 5/19/2018 at 9:19 AM, MrObsessive said:

My how time flies! I can still remember my very first Hot Wheels........an Antifreeze Camaro which would have been not long after they were first intro'd around mid '68. School had just let out, and I got that Hot Wheels as a gift for getting a good report card.

I think I ended up with most of those original 16 that came out that year except for a couple, and I have most of those originals now. Not the original ones I had in '68, but I got into collecting them back in the mid/late '90's into the early '00's, and I'm hangin' on to 'em. ;)

BTW, I distinctly remember that Christmas of '68 when I got my first Hot Wheels set...........The "Super Charger Sprint Set" which looked like this..............

s-l1600.jpg

My set was complete with the famous orange track, curves and all and I can remember someone got it up and running for me (Probably my Dad) with two new Hot Wheels cars going round and round the track when I came down the stairs Christmas morning. I also got two model kits that Christmas which I didn't like AT ALL as I was disappointed by the pretty box art (IIRC, a '68 Chevelle annual and a '40 Ford) but once opened I saw all these bazillion of pieces. I IMMEDIATELY put them back in their boxes and wanted to play with the Hot Wheels instead! Model kits reminded me of puzzles back then, and I HATED puzzles!

You'd never know that now! :D

That Supercharger is what made the rear loader Beach Bomb an icon. The rear loader was too narrow for the sponge wheels to grab the sides as it passed through the Supercharger so Mattel halted production on them and turned it into the side loader Beach Bomb which made it wider. That rear loader Beach Bomb remains the rarest, most expensive Hotwheels ever. I think the Spectraflame pink one is the most rare.

• 2 years later...

Look for this Red Line club release to skyrocket in price on the secondary market the day after they are all sold out to RLC members. ?

I read a few complaints about the front end and tires (too large) but I would not expect Hotwheels to invest it making the casting more accurate - they tend to focus on the paint and they KNOW collectors will willingly pay $25 or more for.a $1 car with what appears to be a finish most of us can only dream about from an airbrush or spray can in this small scale.

ECD227C4-CCAB-4326-8526-636B0D30866E.jpeg

Anyone else remember the Hot Wheels club in 1970?  You sent Mattel a buck or two, and got a chrome finish Mustang fastback.  You also got a sheet of Hot Wheels logo decals (too big for model cars, but just right for bicycles!) and a catalog.  There may have been an iron-on T shirt transfer too.  A few months later they had a club package that was sold in stores.  Those had one of three or four different cars included, still chrome finish.  I got one of those packages too, that one had a Camaro in it.

Those came with chrome versions of the Heavy Chevy (Camaro), the King Kuda and the Boss Hoss Mustang, all with a black or white interior. The white interior versions are much harder to find.

There's also 2 versions of the catalogue that came with the Club Kits, one (early version) showing resin prototype models of certain cars and the Rear Board Beach Bomb and the later issue that has regular production cars, the side board Beach Bomb, plus the expanded line of Sizzlers and the 1/43 Gran Toro's.

Not sure about the iron-on, seems like some do and some don't. Not sure if it has anything to do with early or late production or just if they were available at the time of packaging.

Edited by Phirewriter