Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ron Fellows Mosport white C6R

ismaelg

Hello,

Ron Fellows is one of the most important drivers and primary responsible for bringing the current Corvette Racing program up and running.  Also one of my all time favorite race car drivers as well.  By 2007 he was retiring from active racing driving, but to remain very active as a team's consultant for years to come.   To celebrate his accomplishments,  GM offered a Ron Fellows Special Edition Z06 Corvette, each one personally signed by him.   In the 2007 Sebring 12 hour race,  the #3 car (Chassis C6R-005) he was co-driving with Johnny O'Connell and Jan Magnussen was painted white with maple leaf red hash marks, like his special edition.  But Canadian Ron Fellows was also known as the "Mayor of Mosport" as the Ontario venue was his home track.  So for the 2007 IMSA Grand Prix of Mosport,  they surprised everybody by entering a third C6R  (Chassis C6R-003) in the Ron Fellows special edition white color scheme.  Andy Pilgrim was his co-driver for that race.  Since both main cars were in the race as #3 and #4, this car raced as #33.

Here is a pic from the internet on that car.  
2v2Je1qHrxJ21ND.jpg

And that's the car I want to replicate.....

I started with Revell's C6R kit (better than the stupid C7R kit, still in progress). Since I already did a fully detailed  C6R, this time I am going simpler with a curbside.  Started adding material to tighten the door gaps and filled the incorrect exhaust ports. The kit represents the show car, so it needs to be modified for this specific race configuration. 
2vYFPuPDxJ21ND.jpg

2vYFPJpLxJ21ND.jpg

I also added material to both sides of the hood to tighten the gaps.
2v29CMbBLxJ21ND.jpg

Now here is the catch: This was done in 2008!  This project has been stalled for a decade!

Fast forward to the present.  After finding it (and wondering for a second what it was and why),  it all came back to my mind.  
So it is now sharing the bench with the C7R.

I molded the air ducts to the body as per the 1:1.   
Reworked the rear hatch in place as I had removed it back then (What was I thinking?)
Relocated the wing supports.
2v2usEjjGxJ21ND.jpg

Molding the scoop to the hood
2v2Je1V4gxJ21ND.jpg

Finally ready for white primer
2v2Je1VDLxJ21ND.jpg

And that is where it is now.  Haven't even started on the rest of the car.  Chassis will require modifications as well but I plan to leave the interior pretty much alone, as it is not seen once completed.

I hope next update will not take 10 more years.....

Thanks,

Looking forward to this Ismael. I've got the decals in the stash to do one of these too. And Ron is a really nice guy. I've met him a couple times at Mosport (now Canadian Tire Motorsports Park) during the ALMS weekends. Always made time to chat, him and Johnny O'Connell. 

I'm watching for updates.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My main computer died. In the meantime, I'm using this tiny little laptop that has no photo editing software.  So pictures may be funky.
      I learned from the C7R and the previous C6R that whatever you do in the interior will not be seen.  So I'll keep the interior  box stock.  The model represents the show car, so it needs to be modified to represent chassis #003 as raced in Mosport.   
The rear diffuser is a big part of the aero package.

2v2JmzWTrxJ21ND.jpg

Started by removing the kit's molded diffuser. Base plate and sides were made from thick styrene.  Added a blended little step to the chassis plate so it would not look like a slapped on piece.

2v2JmzWCFxJ21ND.jpg

As per the 1:1, the two side blades of the diffuser are thicker than the rest.

2v2JmzWqjxJ21ND.jpg

2v2JmzWyFxJ21ND.jpg

Also, as per the 1:1, the blades are closer to each other towards the sides than in the center.

2v2JmzWNyxJ21ND.jpg

Some black paint and it is DONE!

Ohhh, I said  I was going to leave the interior box stock...   yeah....  I lied...

2v2JmzWDyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2JmzDsrxJ21ND.jpg

2v2JT2UZgxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

Box stock interior. Yeah it's a lie. 

An old picture, a piece of a popsicle, bits of wire and some paint...

2v2JTb6ohxJ21ND.jpg

and you have a Motorola radio for communications and telemetry as per the 1:1.  Of course it will not be seen.

2v2JTbBU3xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

OK: Repeat with me: 

BOX STOCK INTERIOR!

BOX STOCK INTERIOR!

2v2JTye42xJ21ND.jpg
removed the molded cooler and machined my own...

2v2JTyeLzxJ21ND.jpg

machined my own shifter as per 1:1  but retained the plastic boot.

2v2JTyenvxJ21ND.jpg

and somehow an electronics box with wires appeared.

2v2JTyeduxJ21ND.jpg

Repeat with me:

BOX STOCK INTERIOR!   BOX STOCK INTERIOR!

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
  Interior pretty much done.  Still pending a tweak on the shifter and the top of the roll cage.  Very hard to photograph even outside of the body. Once in the body it will be impossible.  Added the little screen on top of the roll bar (rear view camera display?). Steering wheel hanging from the roll bar. 

Here is a short video and some pics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnpvhGoGf6c

maxresdefault.jpg

www.youtube.com
Fellows C6R interior

2v2JhcFvFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2JhcFu5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2JhcFHjxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

That is excellent work.  I have got to meet him two times.  Once at the Toronto International Car Show when he was in trans am and them at Mosport when he w was racing a Corvette.  Really nice person.  I asked him how he got interested in racing and he told me it was his uncle who would take on the back roads and let him drive his car.  His father had no interest in cars.

Hello,

Keeping with the box stock theme........  The car is now legal for certification.  You see,  this type of race cars don't have a VIN #,  but they must have a manufacturing plate with a serial number and manufacturing date. 
It is all David's fault! ?
You can't see it but as per the 1:1 the home made plate says:

Corvette Racing   
Pratt & Miller Engineering and Fabrication
Chassis # C6R-003
Manufacturing date: 9-28-2005

2v2JCqS6qxJ21ND.jpg

Here is the reference from David Palmeter's site:

2v2JCqVG5xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello William,

My "official" photos for the Under Glass section,  mag articles and some of the workbench section are shot with Pentax DSLRs. Mostly a K100DS or K5 Mark II.  For scale models I usually run a 50mm f1.7 prime lens.  For this particular thread, most have been with a Fuji F600EXR point and shoot.    But regardless of the camera, I use manual settings.   Surprisingly, some of the pics in my other threads have been with my cell phone, but again in manual mode to control the settings.
Photography happens to be one of my great passions. I'm actually running a small photography side business.  With this hobby I get to enjoy both! :)

Thanks,