Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan prices $$$$

I was on eBay,and Model Round up today.I was looking to possibly buy a Johan police car,and build an old NYPD car.I built one years ago,and figured why not build another one..I haven't purchased a Johan kit in a long time.Well I could not believe how high the prices have gone up on their kits.I mean most of them are well over a $100.Some were over $200,and $300 hundred dollars...I knew I should of kept my old kits.Oh well.

IMG_2720.JPG

The mail/Internet places typically ask more than what they fetch at shows.  I can see someone asking (not necessarily getting) $300 for any of a variety of Jo-Han annual kits, but they'd better be in no-excuses mint condition.  But even the tail-end SeVille items like the S/C Rambler are starting to climb the price ladder.  I think people are starting to realize that they won't be available again...

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The mail/Internet places typically ask more than what they fetch at shows.  I can see someone asking (not necessarily getting) $300 for any of a variety of Jo-Han annual kits, but they'd better be in no-excuses mint condition.  But even the tail-end SeVille items like the S/C Rambler are starting to climb the price ladder.  I think people are starting to realize that they won't be available again...

Yep, I'm glad I stocked up when prices were do-able, yet a few slipped away and doubt I will get those...but hey, most of the time the chase is better then the kill ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens
was repeating myself, must been getting old ;)

Yah, they're not coming back. I'll buy a restorable one at the local toy show every now and then if the price it right, but I'm pretty well stocked up on what I want--enough not to pay crazy prices, anyway. 

I took several to NNL East, sold only one as I recall ('71 Maverick "funny car only" annual).  I've got enough parts to make one, so the mint one wasn't going to get built.  I too am glad that I bought what I did when I did, including a carton of "pro street" S/C Ramblers in the early days of being online.  I sold three of them out of the carton, which paid for the ones I kept.  Whenever I find them, parts for anything Jo-Han go into the stash...

I have purchased two, factory sealed Police Pursuit Car kits during the past few months for 29 bucks each and am going to order another one. Earlier today, I bought a Johan 1931 Cadillac Town Brougham, also sealed for $29.99 plus a couple bucks for shipping. A couple of years ago, I picked up a pair of sealed Chrysler Turbine Cars (one, an original 1964 issue GC 300-149 molded in turquoise styrene, the other a 1978 issue GC 300 in white) for less than 50 bucks. It all comes down to how hard one searches. If you limit searches only to fleabay, you'llshell out them big bucks. If you only look through the first two or three pages when using Google (which what the average person does) you ain't finding squat.

35 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

This kit is also starting to go up in price $$.I remember buying them all the time at a LHS.

IMG_2727.JPG

Yah, I have a friend looking for one. Told him I'd check ePay for him--talk about sticker shock! :blink:

Just yesterday at the SCMA swap meet/contest, I saw a Jo-Han '62 Dodge hardtop also painted in thick yellow goo.  No box, it was missing all the tires/wheels but still had the metal axles and wheel backs. It was also missing the steering wheel and I think the engine. The seller was asking $40, but would have probably taken less.

Another seller had a '60 Plymouth Police wagon in the original "USA Oldies" box. It had been painted gloss black, but the paint had been stripped. Interior was still painted in thick brown stuff.  He was asking $30.  I was going to grab it, but noticed the hood was missing.  When I told the seller, he didn't want to sell it any more. Said he had the hood "somewhere at home," then took it off his table.  No big deal. I bought a mint/unbuilt one of those off eBay not long ago for $43, shipping included.

I've found a few other Jo-Hans on eBay for reasonable prices.  It just takes some patience and a lot of luck.

Edited by Mike999
error

Most of the later issues stuff can be found reasonable. you just have to look

I recently picked up a 68 Fury Police car and a 1960 Plymouth wagon. Didn't give over $50 for either one

Its the Older original issue stuff that can command serious cash.

Maybe 2 years ago picked a spotless 1959 Fury , and I think it was right at $100 or so .  Then picked up another one on a trade last year with a car I had less than $40 in .

Most  of my older Johan builders were well under $100 , several were less than $50

I think the most expensive one I have is a builder Johan 1969 GTX .  I was tired of looking with no luck so I paid up to get one. I think it was about $125 ( NICE builtup in the original box )  only a few weeks later found another one for under $50 , so go figure . Just proves they are still out there at decent prices if your willing to look and keep patient

Edited by gtx6970

OK, Jo-Han historians, here's one I've never seen before.  A Jo-Han '64 Dodge Polara in the flat box, but it appears to build a stock-only kit.  What's the story on those? 

This guy is selling his personal collection of over 5,000 rare kits.  He ain't kidding about the "rare."  A mint in box AMT '63 Nova convertible for $99 actually sounds sort of reasonable...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-JOHAN-1964-DODGE-FLAT-BOX-ANNUAL-UNBUILT/282965449406?hash=item41e20e1abe:g:pdoAAOSwl2xa-arA

joh_stk.jpg.281a126cc4e49049e547afa0a90b60b0.jpgjoh_stk2.jpg.f3e342e2e9e08697b274d2d3a89075bc.jpg

Like SfanGoch says if you don't hunt for them your gonna paid.  I was at a auto flea market a couple weeks ago and picked up a 62 Plymouth Fury on the spure in the box 20 bucks and last year I was able to get the Fury police car also for 20 dollars, this is the third one I was able to find over the years.  You have to look anywhere and every where, I even have my son in the big city keeping his eyes open.  I will show you what I got or should I say what my son found at a flea market.  

23 minutes ago, DumpyDan said:

Like SfanGoch says if you don't hunt for them your gonna paid.  I was at a auto flea market a couple weeks ago and picked up a 62 Plymouth Fury on the spure in the box 20 bucks and last year I was able to get the Fury police car also for 20 dollars, this is the third one I was able to find over the years.  You have to look anywhere and every where, I even have my son in the big city keeping his eyes open.  I will show you what I got or should I say what my son found at a flea market.  

Yep....you have to look for the deals.  If you sit down in front of a computer screen and type "Johan" in any search, get ready to dig deep. 

I could provide lots of examples, but this is my favorite;

A '60 Fury hardtop....modified for an opening hood (expertly, requiring no additional work).  A complete chrome tree from a wagon, meaning I'll have to modify the rear bumper (easy),  otherwise it's all there except the windshield (again..easy).  In a clean original box.....at an NNL......twenty bucks.  If I could only find a similar deal on a '60 Olds....    

Johan 60 Plymouth Fury HT.JPG

41 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Yep....you have to look for the deals.  If you sit down in front of a computer screen and type "Johan" in any search, get ready to dig deep. 

I could provide lots of examples, but this is my favorite;

A '60 Fury hardtop....modified for an opening hood (expertly, requiring no additional work).  A complete chrome tree from a wagon, meaning I'll have to modify the rear bumper (easy),  otherwise it's all there except the windshield (again..easy).  In a clean original box.....at an NNL......twenty bucks.  If I could only find a similar deal on a '60 Olds....    

Johan 60 Plymouth Fury HT.JPG

Dude, you stole that one.

And Good luck on that 1960 Olds, even better try finding a good deal on a 1959 Olds or 1961 Plymouth Fury

( PS, I am looking for a 1961 Fury in case anyone has one to part with .)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1959-OLDSMOBILE-NINTY-EIGHT-Built-MODEL-1-25-JOHAN/153019605290?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

3 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

You have to look anywhere and every where....

Absolutely right! I found amazing deals at model train shows, 1:1 car swap meets, antique and consignment shops, thrift stores, garage and estate sales and swap meets. Never miss an opportunity to look in oddball places.

The old guys are dying off so their families just want to unload this "junk" before escrow closes. Harsh, but true. Our heirs don't really care about this stuff like we do, so when were gone they just want it OUT!

I'm an old guy too, so I know my days are numbered with my prizes. Just being realistic, I enjoy them while I can.

I just hope a modeller gets them before an opportunistic seller does.

I don't usually find models of any kind at swap meets of flea sales but when I get lucky, I get lucky. :D

Picked these up for $45. The Fury and Olds were $15 each as they were still sealed and the other 3 were $10 a peice. The wagon was open but unstarted.

100 0003

Unfortunately I sold off what unbuilt ones I had and several builts a couple years back wen prices were already going up.

Needed the cash to pay down the wife's and my medical bills. I regret selling them but that's how life goes sometimes.

Still have about 9 built Johan kits left.

Too bad someone can't reverse engineer and produce these these kits again.

Had a bad experience about 6-7 years ago with who ever was selling on line. Ordered the Rambler wagon and some decals and mailed a money order and never got anything back and no one would return calls or messages! Glad I didn't order more as I had intended too!!!

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I don't usually find models of any kind at swap meets of flea sales but when I get lucky, I get lucky. :D

Picked these up for $45. The Fury and Olds were $15 each as they were still sealed and the other 3 were $10 a peice. The wagon was open but unstarted.

100 0003

Yeah, you did!

Lucky Dog, I hate you!

Yes there are still deals to be made, but you'd have to be patient and on the lookout like a sniper, a couple of years ago I was able to buy a mint '66 Chrysler 300 for 50 Euro on ebay Spain, luckely at the time I had a colleague at work who could speak and write Spanish.

I just went through 8 pages of Jo-Han kits on ebay and the majority of the kits listed was under $100...but some were well over.
But it's one thing what price you ask and another what you get...who knows if the most expensive ones ever will sell at the asking price.