[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
NYLIBUD

Johan prices $$$$

I love Jo-Hans, these are the Jo-Hans I've collected over the last 10 years, mostly from eBay...most pretty reasonable prices.    I've got another 75 or so in storage that I bought from before 2008, along w/ ones I built as a kid in the 80s. 

IMG-4837.JPG

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I love Jo-Hans, these are the Jo-Hans I've collected over the last 10 years, mostly from eBay...most pretty reasonable prices.    I've got another 75 or so in storage that I bought from before 2008, along w/ ones I built as a kid in the 80s.

IMG-4837.JPG

nice collection

The only exception seems to be the promos. They were molded from acetate and warp pretty badly, and who wants a bent '56 DeSoto? The late 80's/early '90's X-El versions were molded from polystyrene and don't warp, so it's one of very few instances where the reissues fetch more than the originals. Other than maybe the '59 Rambler wagon reissue, most of the "newest" JoHan stuff is pushing 25 or more years old, and by that time Johan wasn't pumping out thousands of kits at a time to begin with. Simple supply and demand. 

25 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

The only exception seems to be the promos. They were molded from acetate and warp pretty badly, and who wants a bent '56 DeSoto? The late 80's/early '90's X-El versions were molded from polystyrene and don't warp, so it's one of very few instances where the reissues fetch more than the originals. Other than maybe the '59 Rambler wagon reissue, most of the "newest" JoHan stuff is pushing 25 or more years old, and by that time Johan wasn't pumping out thousands of kits at a time to begin with. Simple supply and demand. 

Oh yeah! Check out the prices of X-EL '59 Dodge promos lately?? Yikes! :o

I'm glad I got a couple of the kits when I did.........those can hit you hard in the wallet too nowadays!

1 hour ago, Chuck Most said:

Some of the X-EL stuff is molded from ABS (same stuff the "dark gray" Plastruct is made of).  It won't take styrene cement, and is harder to cut.  But you can work with it.

The acetate stuff is low-demand in most cases.  I won't touch them.  

24 minutes ago, Mark said:

Some of the X-EL stuff is molded from ABS (same stuff the "dark gray" Plastruct is made of).

I thought my '56 Olds seemed different from the others - that must be why. The ABS ones seem to have a glossier finish than the styrene ones.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Some of the X-EL stuff is molded from ABS (same stuff the "dark gray" Plastruct is made of).  It won't take styrene cement, and is harder to cut.  But you can work with it.

The acetate stuff is low-demand in most cases.  I won't touch them.  

Forgot about those- I have yet to run into one but I've heard of them. 

I was checking out a kit on ebay a few minutes ago. The seller wrote the following:

"Awesome vintage Jo-Han Kit. Appears to be all there, but Please refer to the photos for what’s included as I am not an expert. Actual item is pictured. Thanks!"

Appears to be all there.....Not an expert.....Cut the poop already, man. The price he's asking for this kit, and other items he's selling, indicates otherwise. I contacted him and told him to inventory what's in the box against what is shown in the instruction sheet, which is prominently visible in the photos he posted.

When the buyer discovers that parts are missing, the seller will claim it "appeared" all parts were there, but I stated I'm not an expert.  Ebay will back up the seller - especially if they have sold a lot of items.  Many sellers are too lazy to even clean the dirty and dusty models.  I like when you can clearly see paint scrapes and the seller states that it should clean up nicely or that the defects should polish out.

The seller replied and thanked me. He said that he works and doesn't have the time to check the kits. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I was checking out a kit on ebay a few minutes ago. The seller wrote the following:

"Awesome vintage Jo-Han Kit. Appears to be all there, but Please refer to the photos for what’s included as I am not an expert. Actual item is pictured. Thanks!"

Appears to be all there.....Not an expert.....Cut the poop already, man. The price he's asking for this kit, and other items he's selling, indicates otherwise. I contacted him and told him to inventory what's in the box against what is shown in the instruction sheet, which is prominently visible in the photos he posted.

28 minutes ago, Motor City said:

When the buyer discovers that parts are missing, the seller will claim it "appeared" all parts were there, but I stated I'm not an expert.  Ebay will back up the seller - especially if they have sold a lot of items.  Many sellers are too lazy to even clean the dirty and dusty models.  I like when you can clearly see paint scrapes and the seller states that it should clean up nicely or that the defects should polish out.

16 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The seller replied and thanked me. He said that he works and doesn't have the time to check the kits. :rolleyes:

I would think that with 1000+ positive feedback and no negatives(if it's who I think it is), he's probably not scamming people. ;)

Another one I was bidding on sold for $76.00. 1966 Rambler American Convertible. Flat box, still sealed.

Probably a good price, but I let it go to someone else.

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

Another one I was bidding on sold for $76.00. 1966 Rambler American Convertible. Flat box, still sealed.

Probably a good price, but I let it go to someone else.

Yes, another very good price.

Think of it this way.

Most new kits sell in the vicinity of $30.00.

I will gladly trade you a pair of Linberg/AMT '64 Dodge kits for an unopened Johan "flat box" kit of any kind!

A total no brainer IMO. ;)

Steve