Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unpleasant task

On 5/24/2018 at 6:38 PM, landman said:

I suppose this could only happen if the mixture damages some seals. If that is possible, then it is what likely happened here, over time.

Yes, it also can do that with power steering pumps. If you do have a mix of the 2 fluids it's best to drain it all out and replace with fresh one type. 

4 minutes ago, webestang said:

Yes, it also can do that with power steering pumps. If you do have a mix of the 2 fluids it's best to drain it all out and replace with fresh one type. 

The CORRECT type. Internet "experts" notwithstanding, there are several types of "hydraulic" fluid. and NOT ALL FLUID IS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL SEALS.

Being a "mix" has nothing to do with anything, unless part of the mixture is a type of fluid that destroys the seals in the system.

This is why engineers go to the trouble of writing specifications for appropriate fluids in various "hydraulic" applications...from car and aviation braking systems, to heavy machinery.

USE WHAT THE OEM DOCUMENTATION SPECIFIES, and disregard opinions and hearsay.

22 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The CORRECT type. Internet "experts" notwithstanding, there are several types of "hydraulic" fluid. and NOT ALL FLUID IS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL SEALS.

Being a "mix" has nothing to do with anything, unless part of the mixture is a type of fluid that destroys the seals in the system.

This is why engineers go to the trouble of writing specifications for appropriate fluids in various "hydraulic" applications...from car and aviation braking systems, to heavy machinery.

USE WHAT THE OEM DOCUMENTATION SPECIFIES, and disregard opinions and hearsay.

Bill, this is likely what happened. Now, can these seals be replaced or do I have to buy a new pump. Just for fun, I Googled seal kits and come up with replacement pumps. I'm going to look in the book to see if they have a procedure to purge the cylinders.

1 hour ago, landman said:

Bill, this is likely what happened. Now, can these seals be replaced or do I have to buy a new pump. Just for fun, I Googled seal kits and come up with replacement pumps. I'm going to look in the book to see if they have a procedure to purge the cylinders.

It can be a real PITA to buy seals to rebuild old hydraulics. There's an old-school hydraulic shop near me that usually, miraculously, has what I need in NOS on the shelf...often 40 or more years old. You have to know the dimensions, obviously, plus the profile and material. Barring that, catalogs like this are where I usually turn (IF you can find aftermarket "kits" that don't come directly from the seal manufacturers, you always run the risk that the specs weren't followed closely enough by whoever put the package together; almost every aftermarket part or assembly I come across these days has a deficiency of some kind in design or materials).

http://www.skf.com/binary/68-300492/Hydraulic-seals---12393_2-EN.pdf

EDIT: Check 1/4 down this page for a pump rebuild kit:     https://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/1734/Hydraulic-Cylinders-Motor-Pumps-Hose-Sets#hydraulics

EDIT 2 : Mustang Barn / Glazier Nolan appears to have CYLINDER rebuild kits under pt.# G12153...but I don't know if this is still a good number.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy