Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 944 Turbo Rallye

afx

Hope to build the 924 GTS using the Italeri/Testors 944 kit as a base.  I'm choosing to convert the 944, in lieu of a 924 kit as the GTS body lines more closely resemble those of the 944.  My intention is to build the racing version.

I'm thinking I'll need to cut up another body so if anyone has a junk 944 body or even parts, I would be interested in working out a trade for them.

Street version of the car:

Image result for porsche 924 gts

The kit:

Image result for testors porsche 944

Edited by afx

I started by removing the side molding, made more challenging by the need to retain the underlying body crease.  The 944 has the fender bulges front and rear, the GTS only at the front. I am choosing not to replace the rear quarter panels to correct this and will adjust the add on fender flare accordingly.  I created the initial shape from .040" (1 mm) flat stock.

DSCN5464

Edited by afx

The turbo charged GTS has (4) intake slots between the headlights. It appears these feed fresh air to the inter-cooler.  I created these opening with a drill,  exacto knife and files.

DSCN5465

Edited by afx

Very nice start ... those turbo openings are so good!  This version of the 924 Carrera GTS is the one to use a 944 to start as the front fenders are as close as they got before making the 944. The GTS photo you had used in your other thread is closer to a 924 body, which is why we all said to use a 924. :)

Subscribed,

JC, here are a couple of links, you may find of interest.

https://petrolicious.com/articles/is-the-924-carrera-gts-clubsport-the-ultimate-front-engined-porsche-driver-s-car

http://www.924.org/models/CarreraGTS_GTR.htm

Owned a couple of 924 and 944's. Always thought about building a 1:1 GT or GTS, sadly it never happened.

I appreciate the comments and the interest gentlemen. Fabricated a set of the rear flares but wasn't happy with them so I'll have another go.  This is where I'm headed, not this livery but this is the look I'm after.

Edited by afx

I'm curious how you're going to do the engine. Some of the 924 Carreras has some cool looking engines, cool turbo intakes.

I went the opposite direction making a turbo naturally aspirated for my '87 944 ... and my long time avatar. ))

image.png.f11a1cd8f6f9ba5e6d41d5bf3838c5ab.png

Thanks Ismael.  Mike I have a lot of body mods to deal with before I take on the engine.  However most of the race engine photos I've found are variations of this:

c.jpg

We'll see how much of this I can replicate.

Edited by afx

I like the look of this engine. The intake manifold looks great and may need a wide toothbrush to carve it from, like I did with the intake box on mine. All the pieces look doable from bits and pieces.

You might note, the 944 engine was a new design based on half of the 928 V8. The 924 was based  on an Audi truck engine, heavily breathed on by Porsche. I notice the 924 distributor looks like a typical American distributor and is at the rear of the engine. The 944 distributor (and the ones in the 944 kits) have a flat round one at the front of the engine. 

It looks like they moved the battery from right rear of engine bay, where the fluid/water bottles are. Lots of modifications from stock 924.

They are pretty similar in shape so the 944 engine should look good, especially with all the pieces added.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, afx said:

says the guy building a fully detailed Pagani Huayra :)

LOL, a lot of the Pagani's details are hidden, but according to that engine bay shot, you really have a lot of fun ahead of you, JC!!!