Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 944 Turbo Rallye

afx

Thanks Trevor & John.  Dann I think we are both a bit OCD and if i mess up the engine  I'll just glue the hood shut. :)

Front flares roughed-in.

DSCN5471

Edited by afx

It’s not appropriate to call this a 924 GTS due to several compromises I had to make with the build.  So for my sanity and so I can continue the build I am going to refer to it for what it is: a 944 Turbo Rally.  Porsche never created such a car, to the best of my knowledge, so this will be semi-fictitious "fantom" build. 

Edited by afx

You like to see me suffer don't you Brian. :)  Thanks Dann.

Rear seat infill and start of the roll cage.  The spare wheel comes from the Fujimi EM kit but being 14" is too small, the rally cars ran 16".  Cut up a wheel rim to create a sleeve the correct size.  Opened up the engine bay either side of the block to make it more realistic. 

2v2J4e4s5xHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

A fellow forum member was kind enough to send me this glue bomb as a parts donor.  Here is the stock kit engine.

DSCN5487

I’ve started the race engine conversion by fabricating the inter-cooler plenum from sheet stock and the intake plenum from rod and tubing.  I re-purposed some pulleys from the glue bomb to represent the timing belt.

DSCN5484DSCN5490

Hi,

My best friend had a 924 after high school.  I helped him work on it, boy did that car handle!

No one wanted it so I helped pitch in a we got it.  Just a regular old 924 that handled like no ones business.  And it was pretty darn fast.

Thanks Ismael.  I've read Brian that with the trans-axle at the back and only the engine in front (no transmission) the 924/944 have 50/50 weight distribution which contributes to their good handling.  

More engine detail:

• fuel injectors made from bits of hex rod
  • a simple fuel injector pump made from square rod and another pulley from the glue bomb donor
  • rear mounted 4-cylinder distributor from R&MCoMD
  • kit turbo placed in prep for new plumbing

DSCN5492

Edited by afx

Thanks guys for the interest.  I've been struggling Kurt with the issue that the build doesn't more closely replicate the 1:1 so I think I'm heading in a new direction.

2v2J4rGCrxHzrnL.jpgDSCN5502220ea352ff29550b841c585b2c5f5119

Edited by afx