Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 944 Turbo Rallye

afx

I just figured out the other thing that I really like about your building!,  I cant remember the last time I've ever seen you use PE parts!....you always make stuff out of styrene.  Not knocking PE parts, but I think they have their uses, but when it all first came out, I got sucked in, and was adding TONS of PE parts to my builds.....replacing perfectly good plastic parts!, then one day, I noticed it, and asked myself; "am I using PE parts JUST because they're metal?".....and I was. The real thing that changed my mind was those VERY unrealistic PE battery cable sets. I was trying to get as realistic as I could, but then i'd slap-on this totally unrealistic looking, FLAT battery clamp. I was recently reaffirmed of this while doing the radiator on my Pagani. The detail of it, and most new kits today, doesn't need it!..not trying to be mean, but PE radiator faces glued to an already great looking radiator only looks like someone glued a PE mesh on top of the radiator.....kills the realism right away!

-Sorry for rambling-on, but the short, and skinny of it is that thanks to you, I've learned how to SB more realistic things from styrene than from just slapping-on a PE part just because. Thank you VERY much for the help, and inspiring builds!!!!

-to whoever reads this; i'm NOT knocking the use of PE parts, i'm just saying for me they now have a limited use. You all build some fantastic cars!!

Thanks Dann.  What can I say - I'm cheap:).  Yea PE manufactures often stick on a bunch of marginally useful parts in an effort (I suspect) to just the cost of the set.  I enjoy fabricating parts when I can.

Suppose to be a rainy weekend in my area - should allow me some bench time.

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

I just figured out the other thing that I really like about your building!,  I cant remember the last time I've ever seen you use PE parts!....you always make stuff out of styrene.  Not knocking PE parts, but I think they have their uses, but when it all first came out, I got sucked in, and was adding TONS of PE parts to my builds.....replacing perfectly good plastic parts!, then one day, I noticed it, and asked myself; "am I using PE parts JUST because they're metal?".....and I was. The real thing that changed my mind was those VERY unrealistic PE battery cable sets. I was trying to get as realistic as I could, but then i'd slap-on this totally unrealistic looking, FLAT battery clamp. I was recently reaffirmed of this while doing the radiator on my Pagani. The detail of it, and most new kits today, doesn't need it!..not trying to be mean, but PE radiator faces glued to an already great looking radiator only looks like someone glued a PE mesh on top of the radiator.....kills the realism right away!

-Sorry for rambling-on, but the short, and skinny of it is that thanks to you, I've learned how to SB more realistic things from styrene than from just slapping-on a PE part just because. Thank you VERY much for the help, and inspiring builds!!!!

-to whoever reads this; i'm NOT knocking the use of PE parts, i'm just saying for me they now have a limited use. You all build some fantastic cars!!

100% agree and I'm guilt of this myself! In he past, I have been buying useless PE sets just to make me feel better that I'm building this model with "upgraded parts" when in reality there was nothing "upgraded" about them. Typical marketing. Lately, I have been looking carefully at PE sheets to determine whether they would actually be useful, and 90% of the time I decide that I don't really need them.

1 hour ago, Italianhorses said:

100% agree and I'm guilt of this myself! In he past, I have been buying useless PE sets just to make me feel better that I'm building this model with "upgraded parts" when in reality there was nothing "upgraded" about them. Typical marketing. Lately, I have been looking carefully at PE sheets to determine whether they would actually be useful, and 90% of the time I decide that I don't really need them.

You do some OUTSTANDING SB yourself, Alex!!…..it also allows more money for other things!

Thanks Trevor.  Another layer of detail:

• support brace for the inter-cooler
  • removable suspension cross brace
  • brass wire is the water outlet - will be plumbed to the radiator under the inter-cooler

DSCN5697

Edited by afx

So I just went back and read all four pages of this build.  Love what I see taking place!  JC, you have some great scratch building skills!  As Dann alluded to, I think it is much more gratifying to scratch build something than to buy it and stick it on.  Now don't get me wrong, I love aftermarket items of all types and I use them in my builds.  I don't think I'm very good at scratching things but when I do, I get immense satisfaction.

Anyhow, great work on this one.  I'll be watching intently.

• 2 weeks later...