Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri Land Rover Fire Truck 1/24

I just went looking for info on Italeri's re-issue of the old ESCI Range Rover Police Car.  Looks like Italeri is also doing a 1/24 scale Land Rover Fire Truck, which I believe is something brand new.  AFAIK, ESCI never did a Land Rover fire truck.  They did a Mercedes G-Wagen small pumper, but it had the pump in the interior rear, not on the front bumper like this Land Rover.

Sorry for the bad photo, but it's the only one I could find.  Looks like the kit will be a hardtop with the front-mounted pump, searchlight and a great big roof rack.  Since Italeri-USA was part of the Hobbico conglomerate, I don't know when, or even if, this one will hit the stores.  A couple of Euro model stores say it is "Due For 2018."  But there's no mention of it on the Italeri-USA website or even their Italian site.

lr_fire.jpg

33 minutes ago, ChrisR said:

The one in the photo is an older year model than the previously issued one. This one has the narrow lights. Would be interesting to see what is eventually issued.

Good catch.  That also looks like a photo of a real vehicle, not a model. 

All the ESCI/Italeri 1/24 scale Land Rovers were the later Series III (wide headlights).  So were Italeri's own 1/35 scale kits, the "Pink Panther" recon vehicle and various military hardtops which date back to the 1970s. Back then Tamiya did a 1/35 scale Pink Panther and Ambulance based on the Series II with narrow headlights, like the photo above.

But Italeri just recently re-issued the 1/35 Series III kit as a Spanish Guardia Civil police vehicle with a new hardtop, right or left-hand dashboards and some other new parts and decals.  So they seem to be "freshening up" their 1/35 Land Rover kits, and maybe that will carry over to 1/24 with this fire truck. Sure hope so.

But I suspect we'll just get another re-issue of the old 2-door ESCI 1/24 kit, with the hardtop and roof rack from the "African Safari" version. That version was re-issued back around 2007:

lr_ital.jpg

• 1 year later...

So instead of giving up a Series 2 which had been shown in their catalogue since it was announced,we get a re-released  version of the older Esci kit,with a few extra parts.

608736-12155-99-pristine.jpg

doM2ybsLuuIL1APUmmJoeBQXWX41RLbePouAgwr2.jpeg

Edited by GeeBee

Yeah, that looks like about the size of it.  Great Tooling extension, for them, but maybe not a great deal for us, the buyers. I'll be getting one anyway, as you can NEVER have enough Land Rovers!  If this sells well, maybe it will encourage others.  And, there is still whatever Revell-Germany has planned.

'P.S. I wish we'd get the Michelin Tyers instead of the same-old Uni-directional Military Rubber.

Edited by alexis

Thanks for the update, David.  I was hoping to be surprised with a new Series II, but expected exactly what we got: a re-hash of the Series III with the Fire Jeep parts.  This might make a good kit-bash with the new Revell 4-door LWB Land Rover...if that one ever gets released.

14 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Never had one of the ESCI or Italeri Land Rovers, may get one. 

Simple but nice curbside kits.  The chassis is one piece, unlike the ESCI Range Rovers.  But it has a lot of detail added, like separate springs, axles, shocks etc. So make sure all that stuff is square, and all 4 wheels are sitting on the ground, before adding the body.  The back door of the hardtop is molded in, but its join line is "pre-thinned" and easy to cut out. The ESCI instruction sheet for the Safari Rover even showed the builder how to do that.

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Thanks for the update, David.  I was hoping to be surprised with a new Series II, but expected exactly what we got: a re-hash of the Series III with the Fire Jeep parts.  This might make a good kit-bash with the new Revell 4-door LWB Land Rover...if that one ever gets released.

Simple but nice curbside kits.  The chassis is one piece, unlike the ESCI Range Rovers.  But it has a lot of detail added, like separate springs, axles, shocks etc. So make sure all that stuff is square, and all 4 wheels are sitting on the ground, before adding the body.  The back door of the hardtop is molded in, but its join line is "pre-thinned" and easy to cut out. The ESCI instruction sheet for the Safari Rover even showed the builder how to do that.

The Revell one will definitely get released, there planning on the fourth quarter of this year, I've been privileged to see a few photos of the 3D model there working on, I'll be waiting for the Revell version, which hopefully I'll get a free copy to build for a review.

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Two easy fire truck improvements would be to cover the hardtop side windows and delete the spare wheel.

Regarding the Revell kit there are a few retailers listing pre-orders for two versions, 07047 regular kit and 67047 easy click version.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Junkman said:

Looks like it comes with quite an array of alternative markings.

IIRC these kits also contain OMGRHD and OMGLHD instrument panels.

Yep, LHD/RHD dashboards included!  Happy to see that.  The link below goes to Spotmodel, which shows the sprues and instruction sheets.  Markings/ building versions for British, German, Belgian or Spanish vehicles.

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=52192 

You forgot to mention the Austrian version.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/9554+Sankt+Urban,+Austria/@46.7508431,14.1604774,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4770656cda5e0a2b:0x858a4252c4dd7880!8m2!3d46.7508293!4d14.1692322

Sadly it's not the correct model Land Rover.

1960s-land-rover-serie-2a-109-station-wa

But with the help of the new Revell kit creatively backdated to a Series IIa, it could be done.

Edited by Junkman

9 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Yep, LHD/RHD dashboards included!  Happy to see that.  The link below goes to Spotmodel, which shows the sprues and instruction sheets.  Markings/ building versions for British, German, Belgian or Spanish vehicles.

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=52192 

Its all images from the Italeri website

https://www.italeri.com/en/prodotto/2767