[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I want to paint the interior of this model an off-white. All the glues I have say to remove paint where applicable. So how do I go about glueing the windows to this orange plastic and not have the orange showing through after? I don't want to look inside and see an orange border all around the windows. I have tried painting a "moulding" strip around the inside edge of the glass on previous models, but have not really liked the results.

Thanks for any tips or tricks.

IMG_3687.JPG

Posted (edited)

Thoroughly scuff the perimeter of the window opening for good paint adhesion, and preferably using a "self-etching" white primer, paint the area.

Actually, if you prep the area very thoroughly for the best possible paint adhesion, and let your interior color dry very thoroughly, you should be OK using a PVA glue to mount the window directly to the paint film.

Then, use this (or a similar "PVA" polyvinyl-acetate white glue) to attach the "glass". The resulting bond will be plenty strong, and the PVA glue dries completely clear. It's also very easy to clean up any excess with a damp cloth or Q-tip before it dries.

Image result for micro kristal klear

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks Bill!

I will pick some of that up tomorrow. I have some Model Master Clear parts Cement & Window Maker. I don`t know if it is similar, but it says to remove the paint.

4 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Thanks Bill!

I will pick some of that up tomorrow. I have some Model Master Clear parts Cement & Window Maker. I don`t know if it is similar, but it says to remove the paint.

What you have is pretty much the same thing.

The reason they say to remove the paint is because the bond won't be any stronger than the strength of the bond between the paint and the plastic.

This is why you need very thorough prep of the area surrounding the "glass", and thorough drying, in order to give your paint the maximum possible adhesion.

IF the paint is very well-adhered to the body of the model, the white-glue bond to it should be as strong as it would be to bare plastic...but it's imperative the bond between paint and plastic is as good as it can possibly be.

There's typically very little stress on a window, so once the white glue has dried thoroughly as well (it's NOT a solvent-type glue, and doesn't penetrate either plastic or paint), it should be fine forever if it's not handled roughly.