Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Trophy Kits Out Now May 2018

' It's just a different shape of box.'

Technically that is correct.Like the The Declaration of Independence is on different size paper than 8 1/2 x 11 copier paper.

The long flat box is the earlier box.

Being a '61 Styline kit.To make it a nostalgia kit they put it an original size box.

AMT ought to do that now.

Like if they bring back the '39/49 Ford Sedan.

' devolve into hard to follow threads. '

There is a link between Styline,Advanced Customizing, Customizing Series and Trophy Kits.

The '49 Mercury is both.A Customizing Series and a Trophy Kit.

Maybe there are some others.

Some of us like to concentrate and delve deeper into a subject.

A mechanical listing of facts lacks the human touch.

Enough philosophy for today.

49 minutes ago, regular guy said:

Technically that is correct.The long flat box is the earlier box. Being a '61 Styline kit.To make it a nostalgia kit they put it an original size box.

There seem to have been a few different boxes sizes, and my guess is box size and shape was dictated by how the parts were organized in the mold, and how they could be broken down into smaller pieces after removal from the mold. Maybe it's a 'chicken or the egg' type thing regrading box size/shape vs. part layout? 

AMT did reissue the '59 El Camino in the 'vertical' box as part of the Buyer's Choice program in 1997, and maybe another kit or two?:

vert59elcobx.thumb.jpg.8762e413f3a379d07c007dd35a358d19.jpg

Round2 seems to have tried a few different box sizes, some with Original Art prints, some without, but the forthcoming '39/'40 Ford Sedan looks like it'll be in the standard box instead of a wider, flatter box which Round2 used for previous Original Art series kits.

Thanks!

THAT is a sharp box!

AMT should put those out.That really tells you a lot about the kit.

This box we have 'sideways' long and flat is pretty cool but that box trumps it.

The all time low were the AMT/Ertl boxes.

'Here's a picture of the model painted.We hope you buy it.' Pretty sad.

AMT is working on making the boxart better so who knows?

CORRECTION:Our '61 Styline Ford does have a gold #5 sticker on the cellophane.

Edited by regular guy

I agree.That would be a real nostalgia kit.

Did you want it back in a narrow box or vertical box or don't care?

I like the vertical box then the narrow box the most.

My next choice is at least the 3in1 Trophy boxtop like on the current '53 Ford pickup.

Looks like early 60's.

5b13306e02059_AMT53FordPickup.jpg.38694e8198dd77bcb19b56aefcbbdcf0.jpg

13 hours ago, regular guy said:

I like the vertical box then the narrow box the most.

I like them, too, but from a retailer's point of view, I would guess they are not nearly as fond, and would prefer a standard sized box. The vertical box does stand out, especially when the top panel is in the upright position, but the parts are really crammed into the box, even for the older style kits originally designed to fit inside the narrower boxes. The recent Customizing Boat would've been a good choice for reissue inside a narrow box, too, as the parts count is fairly low and there's not a lot of mass to the kit's parts. Perhaps if one of the Jr. Craftsman kit is resurrected the narrow box can be used.

Hi Mr Casey

I think there is a way to get a possibility here.

Find out from Auto World if this kit is in a long box.Being a double kit it's sure to have a lot of parts.

So.If they put that out then they can put out anything and even make a Vertical box.Very cool.

5b149f5ac5544_AMT1925FordTallTDoubleKit.jpg.cda9ae307a0950f3bc31d70f25af4af4.jpg

Taking a second look at it.It doesn't look like a long box really.

Well.Will find out from Autoworld if they can put out long boxes with maximum number of parts.

They probably will because they are getting their Exclusives going.

You can read 'Exclusive' as 'Kits for Adult Model Builder's' or 'Kits for Professional Model Builders and Collector's'.

It's their Prestige line of today.

Called AMT Monday.

They just figure to put any double kits out in a regular box.As far as I could tell.I did not go on and on about on the phone.

Update on the '63 Advanced Customizing Kit ('63 Ford XL Sports Hardtop).

It's molded in gray.

Anybody know how you can tell if a kit is molded in gray BEFORE you open it up?

This says RC2 Brands Dyersville IA 2006.

11 hours ago, regular guy said:

Anybody know how you can tell if a kit is molded in gray BEFORE you open it up? This says RC2 Brands Dyersville IA 2006.

I think all AMT/Ertl kits were molded in grey, but that's a good question for the Question & Answer section...or worth a search to see if it's been asked previously.

From about the early to mid 90s until Round 2 took over in the mid 2010s almost every AMT kit was molded in gray. The exceptions being snap kits which are molded in whatever color the box top build shows and a few oddball kits that came in a muddy brown color. I've only had two of those, a 70 pro street Superbee and a 93 F150 stepside.

Thanks Casey

' I think all AMT/Ertl kits were molded in grey'

Good point about asking about gray/grey kits in Q&A section.

Thanks Brian

About Trophy kits.

So in the Customizing Series you get car show accessories add in and in Prestige you get a desk pen holder mirror base.

Well.That makes them better in a way.

I think double kits are better in a way too except when it's two different cars totally like the Double Dragster kit.

Then two Trophy kits would be better.

Can't really make a Trophy kit out of a Bantam roadster or a dragster though.Double dragster had dragster variations though.

Close enough!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 2:27 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

So, anyone clicking this to find information on the Trophy series kits now has to wade through other content which just muddies the waters and can leave people confused.

I was confused before I got here, so it worked out ok ?‍♂

On 5/21/2018 at 3:20 PM, regular guy said:

Here's one bona fide Trophy kit out now.

'36 Ford Coupe Roadster.

Another one is the '58 Ford Pickup that's been out for awhile.

A possible is the '32 Ford Victoria. I know it's out.Just need confirmation it is a Trophy kit.

Pretty good crop of Trophy kits!

Maybe somebody can come up with some more.

5b031bed1469e_AMT36FordCoupeRoadster52118.jpg.6eae2cf467c300b2a1e2ce99f3060e80.jpg

A '58 Ford Pickup?   Hmmmm,  interesting given that AMT made just the last model year of that style F-100,  the 1960,  and that kit hasn't seen the inside of an injection molder since perhaps early summer of 1960.  

Art

2 minutes ago, Art Anderson said:

A '58 Ford Pickup?   Hmmmm,  interesting given that AMT made just the last model year of that style F-100,  the 1960,  and that kit hasn't seen the inside of an injection molder since perhaps early summer of 1960.  

Art

Typo, I think he was referring to the '53 kit. 

Somebody else said '58 and I just went with it.

'58 I think was a dual headlight version and looks nostalgic.

I am getting a visual of a '58 custom Ford pickup with sort of bronze paint job with those panels in it.

Maybe it was a Revell or Monogram kit.

On 6/1/2018 at 1:10 PM, Casey said:

There seem to have been a few different boxes sizes, and my guess is box size and shape was dictated by how the parts were organized in the mold, and how they could be broken down into smaller pieces after removal from the mold. Maybe it's a 'chicken or the egg' type thing regrading box size/shape vs. part layout? 

AMT did reissue the '59 El Camino in the 'vertical' box as part of the Buyer's Choice program in 1997, and maybe another kit or two?:

vert59elcobx.thumb.jpg.8762e413f3a379d07c007dd35a358d19.jpg

Round2 seems to have tried a few different box sizes, some with Original Art prints, some without, but the forthcoming '39/'40 Ford Sedan looks like it'll be in the standard box instead of a wider, flatter box which Round2 used for previous Original Art series kits.

Now this is one I actually would like to have

9 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Now this is one I actually would like to have

Because of the box? I do recall everything was packed very tightly inside, but I don't recall any A- nor B-pillar damage. If its not because of the box, the recently reissue in the OA series box might be a better choice-- new decals, better tires, etc. Hard to beat that vertical box art for pure nostalgia though. :)

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Because of the box? I do recall everything was packed very tightly inside, but I don't recall any A- nor B-pillar damage. If its not because of the box, the recently reissue in the OA series box might be a better choice-- new decals, better tires, etc. Hard to beat that vertical box art for pure nostalgia though. :)

yes kinda maybe sorta . Box is kind of neat. Not sure I would pay extra for it.

And regardless of box this kit is all over ebay , but by the time postage is figured in. puts it at $35 and up. I dont want it that bad . Im more a $20-25 range and less kid of guy

On 6/7/2018 at 8:59 AM, Fat Brian said:

From about the early to mid 90s until Round 2 took over in the mid 2010s almost every AMT kit was molded in gray. The exceptions being snap kits which are molded in whatever color the box top build shows and a few oddball kits that came in a muddy brown color. I've only had two of those, a 70 pro street Superbee and a 93 F150 stepside.

My first issue '49 Ford coupe was molded in gray plastic and I bought it new in the summer of 1962, BUT at the same time the Ala Kart/Model A kits were molded in the pure white plastic. No rhyme or reason just happened that way.