Model Cars Magazine Forum

Young American/ Jade Granade

lou s

Got my decals,paint,wheels and kit all ready to go. Opened kit and the engine is awful,especially the blower and valve covers.does anyone know of a suitable after market engine or an engine from another kit.Thanks

IMG_3102.JPG

That's a 426 and not a 392. The best 426's are in the Johan Challengers......good luck finding one of those. Second choice that's commonly available would be the PL Funny Cars. Revell's Hawaiian/Chi-Town Hustler is an alloy aftermarket block. Not right for this build. If you're looking for a 392, the hands down best choice is the new Revell Willys gasser.

I have the PL hawian,revell 75 Plymouth duster,revell blue max mustang.what about after market.i could piece a good representation together.according to the young American paperwork I need a 426 like you said and a 671 gmc supercharger.What about the engines a that come in the Prudhomme yellow feather?

I don't have an opened Yellow Feather but if its just the Garlits kit with a different injector I'd use the PL Hawaiian. I think the Garlits motor lacks some of the details of either the PL or the Revell. If my Garlits build ever quits fighting me, I'm going to use the PL engine with some detail parts from the Garlits kit. The Revell kits lacks the chrome blower although its a pretty good engine even with the funky valve covers. I think both Revell's have the same motor. I do think it might be more appropriate for a bit later car.  As for aftermarket, I have no idea what's out there.

You'll probably have to mix and match. The Tommy Ivo dragster has a nice engine and valve covers. Blower hat is'nt too great though. That twin engine dragster "Two Much " has the same engine. The old Revell funny car and dragster kitshad nice blower hats.

thinking out loud...  All of the original front engine rails with 426 Hemi's had Plymouth or Dodge (don't say Chrysler) production blocks - available in muscle car kits like the Revell 1968 ,'69 and '70 Charger, 1967 GTX.  These are well detailed blocks - and the blower /induction system of choice can be sourced from a dragster or funny car kit  Top fuel was well into rear engine dragsters when the (edit) (426) alloy aftermarket blocks started showing up

Edited by Muncie

Kansas John was the first to run an alloy block in his front engine dragster. That was in 1972. By then, very few front engine dragsters were competitive in the big show. I remember trash talking once and one of the drivers was yelling that a good funny would shut down the fueler.

According to the NHRA website Kansas John Wiebe using the Donovan 417 was number 1 qualifier and runner up at the 1971 NHRA SuperNationals losing to “Gentleman Hank” Johnson . The final round  the last in NHRA history between two front-engine Top Fuelers

• 3 years later...