Model Cars Magazine Forum

This car the Apollo IE makes a Lamboghini look kind of plain. It has a Ferrari V12 and is built in Germany. Cost is a mere 2.7 million. It would make a great Batmobile. The video is from Monaco yesterday. Apollo IE

Apollo_I.E._2017_f48bc-1200-800.jpg

gumpert-ie-c685406032018234629_8.jpg

olz89hb3lbp01.jpg

video_firstframe_chassis.jpg

Edited by 935k3

Well then, it looks like age and taste in cars have nothing in common. :D  Even the curretn Corvette was a bit too much for me, but it sort of grew on me (but only in certain color combos).

What I found interesting is that it appears that the Swiss front license plates are made as a mirror image (so they can be easily read by the driver in the car in front of them)?

It would make a great Batmobile. I have to wonder how aerodynamic those projections (front fenders?) are. Seems to me they would cause drag (which may be the point of them). Doubt they would pass the safety gurus here in North America.

52 minutes ago, peter31a said:

I have to wonder how aerodynamic those projections (front fenders?) are. Seems to me they would cause drag (which may be the point of them). Doubt they would pass the safety gurus here in North America.

It looks like there might be vents in them.

I'd hate to be the one who gets shishkabobbed crossing in front of it while jaywalking!

Seriously, this is where automotive car design has gone to - styling gimmicks! This car is loaded with them.

I have to admit, it is unique for the time being. Until every other car maker copies it, and it becomes mundane. Car companies are so unoriginal.

I'm on the fence with this one.

I like that it's aggressive.

I'm assuming that all of those little wings and scoops and points and whatnot contribute to amazing aero?

What's the powerplant? Safe to assume this has some serious performance numbers to back up the looks?

Styling. I think it's a little much.

And for that kind of $$$? I'll take a Porsche GT3 with a manual transmission, and a condo at Area 27 with full membership, and still have a couple of million in the bank. And I'll have more fun doing it.

:)

That carbon chassis is a thing of beauty indeed, but I'm opposed on principle to all the "aerodynamic" frippery that seems to be so prevalent in car design today.

Though it MIGHT have some validity in CFD (computational fluid dynamics) based aero modeling, it flies in the face of the demonstrably MOST EFFICIENT AERODYNAMIC DESIGNS humans have created to date.

Notice, NO bulges, blisters, scoops, splitters, or extraneous styling gobbledygook. Just clean, clean, clean:

Related image

Absolutely not!

To me, it looks like the designer didn't know when to stop with the gimmicks!

The giant "stem" running from the top to the spoiler is particularly ridiculous!

It kind of puts me in mind of critics of the American cars from the late 50s who say that they were "over the top" ugly.

Well, here is their contemporary counterpart.

At first glance, it looks to me like a crumpled news paper!

Steve

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That carbon chassis is a thing of beauty indeed, but I'm opposed on principle to all the "aerodynamic" frippery that seems to be so prevalent in car design today.

Though it MIGHT have some validity in CFD (computational fluid dynamics) based aero modeling, it flies in the face of the demonstrably MOST EFFICIENT AERODYNAMIC DESIGNS humans have created to date.

Notice, NO bulges, blisters, scoops, splitters, or extraneous styling gobbledygook. Just clean, clean, clean:

Related image

Unlike this sailplane, the car needs to stay firmly planted to the road at speed. I would assume at least some of those wild flares and angles are there to generate down force. That fuselage would look a little different if it also had to hide an engine instead of a tow hook.

That said, I have seen a few sailplanes in flight (not lucky enough to be in one though) and they are pretty amazing.