Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do any of the hobby paint makers offer an "antifreeze green" paint?

Decades ago, I had some Hot Wheels cars in this color and I always thought it would look good on some of my model kits as well, but I've never seen it offered anywhere. 

Any links etc would be appreciated.   

I just took some Metalcast transparent yellow and added some of thier transparent green until I got a color I liked. Sprayed it over pearl white and cleared with Tamiya clear acrylic in the little bottles.

Be aware though, for some reason the Metalcast yellow smells like cat pee. :unsure:

131 3176

19 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I just took some Metalcast transparent yellow and added some of thier transparent green until I got a color I liked. Sprayed it over pearl white and cleared with Tamiya clear acrylic in the little bottles.

Be aware though, for some reason the Metalcast yellow smells like cat pee. :unsure:

131 3176

Doesn't surprise me.

It looks a little like cat pee.

No offense! :)

The model looks great!

Steve

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

131 3176

If I could paint as well as you, the smell would be my last concern.  I hadn't considered anything from the Metalcast line as I know very little about their products, although it's obvious they worked well for you.  Thanks for the idea!  

If you are trying to replicate the paint colors of those very early Hot Wheels cars, bear in mind, that Mattel had the diecast bodies plated, then sprayed with transparent colors (a/k/a Candy Colors).  In order to replicate that would be to have the bodies, hoods, and any other "sheet metal" panels which would be the body color,  chromed, then use candy colors to get the effect of the actual Hot Wheels cars.

Art