Model Cars Magazine Forum

This thing sure has an aggressive rake.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Kool as the Kookie Kar. Ridiculous as whatever misguided mess somebody made from it later.

It just sold at Mecum for $440,000. Hopefully, somebody will return it to its original look.

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/news/kookies-kar-hot-rod-jim-street

I totally agree. I couldn't believe how it had been butchered since I last saw it on 77 Sunset Strip. I was telling my wife while it was being auctioned that it didn't look at all like the same car. Those goofy zoomie headers on steroids and that ugly double supercharger set up were awful. Hot rodding in the 50s was different. Not as much money back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the person the purchased it at the auction has announced that it will be returned to it's original, genre launching form.

This is the original T-bucket, When it was the "copied" by Ivo it launched the T-Bucket craze. I say copied on quotes because i prefer Ivo's bucket better. it is distinct enough to be an icon itself, but he did copy the body style and some other elements from the Kookie T. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I believe the person the purchased it at the auction has announced that it will be returned to it's original, genre launching form.

This is the original T-bucket, When it was the "copied" by Ivo it launched the T-Bucket craze. I say copied on quotes because i prefer Ivo's bucket better. it is distinct enough to be an icon itself, but he did copy the body style and some other elements from the Kookie T. 

According to the agent for the purchaser at the auction, the plan at the time of purchase was to retain the Watson paint, but to back-date the rest of the car to somewhere just prior to the time of that repaint. Being that there are already a couple of fairly faithful reproductions of the Kookie Car in it's TV-era form, there's less need to try to take the actual car back to that point, and instead preserve what original bits remain, ditching the pipes, superchargers, headrests, etc.

Edited by Dirty Dave

It certainly is Ed Burns, I remember him in an advert in an old Rolling Stone magazine for some sort of hair gel, the punchline was 'and of course I get great haircuts!'...

Funny the trivia that gathers in your mind.