Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Vette

Kit Basher

AMT kit. The paint is Testors Silver with some Gloss Black mixed in. I guess everybody knows this is a funky old kit with one piece chassis and interior. Still, the body looks pretty good to me and it has a decent fuel injected engine. I left it as is except trying to improve the tail lights and exhaust. I would have liked to fix the mold seams on the bumpers, but I haven't figured out Alclad and a test with Molotow looked silver compared to the kit chrome. The knockoffs looked kind of clunky to me so I left them off. Still need to add a license plate.  Thanks for looking. Advice and comments always welcome.

DSCN1612.JPG

DSCN1613.JPG

DSCN1610.JPG

DSCN1614.JPG

Edited by Kit Basher

Very nice! I especially like what you did with those exhausts. I love these AMT '63-'67 annual Vettes. Right now I'm working on a '65 roadster, and just last night started trying to disassemble a particularly gluey bomby '67 coupe glue bomb. First time I've ever had to cut a chassis away from a body with a razor saw.:blink: That one will be a challenge! 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Very nice! I especially like what you did with those exhausts. I love these AMT '63-'67 annual Vettes. Right now I'm working on a '65 roadster, and just last night started trying to disassemble a particularly gluey bomby '67 coupe glue bomb. First time I've ever had to cut a chassis away from a body with a razor saw.:blink: That one will be a challenge! 

Thanks, Snake! The exhausts were the easy part, the tail lights a little more involved. I look forward to seeing you put your Snake-fu on your Vettes.

I didn't notice before, but looks like you cleaned up the taillight bezels too. Been thinking of trying that, although I've been trying to stay with kit parts whenever possible. But yours definitely look better. 

I have been thinking of replacing the front turn signal lights with aluminum tubing. These NEVER looked right on the AMT kits, from the original '63 annuals right through the latest reissues. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I didn't notice before, but looks like you cleaned up the taillight bezels too. Been thinking of trying that, although I've been trying to stay with kit parts whenever possible. But yours definitely look better. 

I have been thinking of replacing the front turn signal lights with aluminum tubing. These NEVER looked right on the AMT kits, from the original '63 annuals right through the latest reissues. 

Yeah, the picture of the back end sitting on the yellow box shows the kit parts on the left, and homemade tail lights on the right. They are aluminum tubing with new lenses.  Compared to the 1:1 lights, I just couldn't live with those AMT lights. I never thought about the front turn signals. I just painted the lenses amber. You're right, they would look better with a chrome bezel behind them.

Edited by Kit Basher

Hey, all those vette annuals are a bit simple but when you can make one look that good you've acheived a high modeling status. I've got the 67 revell big block car to build but I noticed it has sidepipes instead of body exhaust. Is that a 63 to 66 thing? Also I need to figure out what smallblock hood to go with also. One that will work on the revell car... I'm not too experienced with the vettes.

37 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Hey, all those vette annuals are a bit simple but when you can make one look that good you've acheived a high modeling status. I've got the 67 revell big block car to build but I noticed it has sidepipes instead of body exhaust. Is that a 63 to 66 thing? Also I need to figure out what smallblock hood to go with also. One that will work on the revell car... I'm not too experienced with the vettes.

I think the sidepipes became optionally available in '65, and it's correct for any '65-'67 as an option. 

I don't know of any smallblock hood made for the Revell '67. I think a smallblock hood for an AMT could be made to work with some tweaking, but no "flat" one has been in a kit since the '67 annual was reworked into the '63. You could however fill the fake vents on a '63 hood to make a flat '67.