Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early 60s Mopar Dog Dish Hubcaps

Just wondering if anyone has any information about where someone could find a set of acceptable dog dish caps for an upcoming 1963 Dodge Polara build.

I thought that I saw some somewhere, but I don't remember where.

Possibly aftermarket/ resin, or maybe from the Lindberg/AMT '64 Dodge 330 kit?

I've seen a few different variations and I'm not too fussy.

Just looking for something close.

Steve

image.png.dc986f187a1eb9b49593fbaef6bd59c3.png

image.png.aed7a226459d8f4a7ac68a432acba9cf.png

image.png.bb0261f54905602a0c4ce462e17ade2d.png

image.png.2553421ca5ad8eac4739d5365a82b3ec.png

8 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Chief Joseph, Fireball Models has them just like the ones on the red car above with decals for the center. the best that I've seen.

I've looked at the Fireball Modelworks website & the only ones that I'm seeing are the later 60s Dodge & Plymouth caps with the Dodge logo in the middle & the Plymouth lettering around the edge.

Are there some that I am missing?

Steve

image.png.d3bace38a55612e811e9f5862949219b.png

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

I think the closest ones your going to find is in the Little red Wagon

Out of what ones you posted above. "  I think "  the only ones correct for a 63 is the top one

Hey now!

I hadn't thought of those.

I have one of those kits.

I will definitely check them out.

Thanks Bill!

Steve

3 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've looked at the Fireball Modelworks website & the only ones that I'm seeing are the later 60s Dodge & Plymouth caps with the Dodge logo in the middle & the Plymouth lettering around the edge.

Steve

Sorry, I thought those Dodge ones were the same.

Thanks for the responses guys.

It looks like Bill hit the nail on the head.

While they're not exact replicas, the Little Red Wagon caps look extremely close.

Close enough for me anyway.

Again, thank you Bill.

Does anybody know if these caps were used on other Dodges & Plymouths around 1962-1964?

If so, I can think of a few others that I could use them for, but for the time being, these will look great on a black Johan 1963 Polara convertible with a red interior. ;)

Steve

2v2JDHbpdxwUbWP.jpg

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

These are 1969 and newer only

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

"I think ' the Johan 1968 Fury Police car has a beenie hub cap in it as well. Been a while since I looked in that box though. So I cant comment which style it has 

Cant think of any others though

Nope. They are exactly like the Little Red Wagon caps.

Steve.

Paul Hettick is correct about the dog dish caps. I  bought a set several years ago from The Modelhaus. Where they are, I do not have a clue, but I have some great news for you. The AMT "Lawman" '64 Plymouth Belvidere has a set of the Hubcaps you need.

AMT986-12-1964-Plymouth-Lawman-mockup.jp

Those hubcaps are not available elsewhere. The other variations of the Lindberg/AMT '64 Belvidere does not have those caps. RC2 had them tooled for this kit, along with a set of steelies and some 5-spoke mags. As far as I know, they are no where else.  I am going to use mine on a Resin '64 Savoy Wagon Tow car project.

63 dodge hubcaps 2.jpg

Edited by Ron Hamilton

This is a little vexing to me...but I think the caps shown on the red car in Steve's 2nd picture are the correct ones.

My call would be that the closest in scale would be the new '64 Lawman stock caps.

The Lindberg '64 Dodge caps are obviously meant to be the '69-'71 style caps. So- those kits come with the wrong caps for that car.   

The Little Red Wagon and Jo Han '68 Police caps do appear to be the '68 (maybe '67?) only caps. Though the A-100 didn't change much in it's entire 1:1 production run, that would make the kit version representative of a '68.    

The cars in pic 1 and pic 4 appear to be wearing early Dart caps of two different styles, which I don't think are available in scale at all.

58 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Those look perfect!

Hopefully Bill can find his set & we can strike a deal.

If there is anyone else who would like to unload a set of these, I wouldn't mind picking up another set or 2! ;)

Steve

I'll find them.

just give me a few days.

We are hip  deep into a house remodel . And model cars are LOW priority at the moment .

Planning to put it up for sale the next few weeks and move to sunny Arizona

Bill