Model Cars Magazine Forum

Correcting the White Freightliner headlights issue

I have been working on correcting the White Freightliner headlight issue, them beeing too high. I cut them out and flipped them side to side(will be in my build thread), but not matter what I tried, I just ended up loosing the rivet details. Is there any way to do this without loosing the details? Anyone sell very tiny rivets that I can add back?

Any other ideas?

Rivets can also be made with white glue and a small wire or hypodermic needle tube. Pick up a small drop of white glue on the end of the wire or tube and deposit it onto previously marked rivet locations. With practice they can be made surprisingly uniform. If you mess up, a damp cloth wipes them away cleanly.

I have had best results applying the rivets after primer and prior to color coat. My prefered glue is RC56 which is made for clear canopies on radio controlled aircraft but regular Elmers works as well.

A couple of points that I omitted:

1) The diameter of the tube or rod should closely match the desired diameter of the rivets.

2) RC56 is more viscous than Elmers so it typically produces  a taller (half-round) rivet head.

I received the Punch & Die set yesterday, for this Freightliner cabine, the 0,6mm rivets are perfect match to the other rivets on the cabine, i checked it.;)

When u need bigger rivets, u get the spherical head from this set, if the styrene is not too thick.

For the Freightliner cabine i used the 0,4mm thickness of the styrene sheet to pop out the 0,6mm rivets.

Hermann.

Archer Transfers rivets are the easiest way to reinstall rivets. The rivets are on a very thin decal backing so a whole row can be slid into place. They come in different sizes and spacing as well. I used them on my 352 110” cab master.

F2C727B8-6D35-4186-A8F0-4EDBDE0A540C.jpeg

4227D01C-6284-418C-A005-9FE887AFC035.jpeg

• 1 month later...

You can order directly from the Archer website.  They have a downloadable PDF catalog you can print out at 100% to make sure you're getting the right size rivets etc. The site also has YouTube tutorials and other useful info. 

Or, as Ben wrote, you can buy them off eBay or online vendors.  FreeTime, HobbyLinc and MegaHobby all carry the Archer stuff.  But if you want to see everything available, their own website might be the best place to start.  Then shop everywhere else for the best price.

http://www.archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsMain.html

On 2018-05-29 at 6:06 AM, Ben said:

Archer Transfers rivets are the easiest way to reinstall rivets. The rivets are on a very thin decal backing so a whole row can be slid into place. They come in different sizes and spacing as well. I used them on my 352 110” cab master.

F2C727B8-6D35-4186-A8F0-4EDBDE0A540C.jpeg

4227D01C-6284-418C-A005-9FE887AFC035.jpeg

What size rivits did you use on the Pete cab

15 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

What size rivits did you use on the Pete cab

It’s been a few years. I bought a few packages that have a few different sizes in each pack. Then I used the closest to the existing cab rivets.