Model Cars Magazine Forum

MapleLeaf Modelworks

Thanks Bernard! I can't claim it's accurate, and the 3D model itself is a dog's breakfast, but it might...just...do.  Haha.

Since that photo was posted I've corrected the flare at the bottom of the cowl. Much better now. I'll consider doing some basic interior panels and a dashboard next. From watching you scratchbuild interiors for resin '27s, I know making the curved corners of the cockpit and matching seat is a bit of a pain, so those would be good candidates for 3D printing.

15 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

Thanks Bernard! I can't claim it's accurate, and the 3D model itself is a dog's breakfast, but it might...just...do.  Haha.

Since that photo was posted I've corrected the flare at the bottom of the cowl. Much better now. I'll consider doing some basic interior panels and a dashboard next. From watching you scratchbuild interiors for resin '27s, I know making the curved corners of the cockpit and matching seat is a bit of a pain, so those would be good candidates for 3D printing.

With, sadly, only the Flintstone version generally available there's a crying need for one of these. I guess the '27 had always been just a bit infra-dig for the plastic (or even die-cast) model  kit companies to make. And sourcing the necessary accessories (like a proper windshield frame, for example) borders on the impossible/impracticle. So just a decent dashboard blank, a wraparound bolster for the upper body edge and the aforementioned (and already present on your initial work) windshield would go a very long way to unleashing the potential of this classic hot rod archetype.

Updates to the '27...firewall added, interior panels in progress, working on some Firestone tires, and other little tweaks. The thickness of the door panels is problematic...full-scale T bodies have very thin doors and interior panels, which is tough to render in scale and still have the panels thick enough that they don't warp.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You know, I was thinking.... Everyone wants some one off never-before-done part or body etc.... How about some really simple stuff that everyone can use on a multitude of models and would save us lots of time Tylenol pills and help us cut back on the cursing?🤔

Like for example a spark plug with the boot on with a predrilled opening on the other end? A three of 8 of them at 90 degree angle and 8 straight ones. This ay you just drill a hole in your engine and add the plug with the boot in it and just put in the wire on the other end. 

Or a set of few seatbelts? Like the buckle that is on the belt, the receiver with the button and the the little loop with the swivel on top that belt is guided through on every car's B-pillar. A three with 8 of those would cover at least two cars.

How about shift boots that correspond to the photoetched surround plates from Model Master's Hurst shifters?

Or predrilled crab distributor for Revell's Flatheads and for the Corvette C4 motors, like the one found in the Beatnik Bandit II?

These are all super simple things to design and the cost to print them should be minimal. Yet they would save some much time and effort while adding great detail. I know I would buy bunch of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrm said:

You know, I was thinking....

Pre-drilled distributors have been some of my best-sellers! And that's despite all the existing pre-wired options out there. It's tapering off now as people begin to buy more 3D printed parts off of FB and Ebay.

I've eyed the crab distributors before....hadn't thought of doing seatbelt buckles though.

I like the spark boot idea! They'd be very delicate and a little tricky. Very much worth considering.

One idea I've been mulling over is a "project-saver" pack for hot rods with items that would have saved my stalled projects:  axle risers and blocks for setting ride height and stance. Wheel chocks to hold kit tires in place for mockups. And problem-solvers for the engine bay: remote oil filter, remote thermostat housing, modular hose bends, distributors, water pumps for converting kit race engines for street use, generators/alternators with brackets and appropriate pulleys, steering offset boxes, etc etc. The kind of stuff that could prevent a kitbasher from having to rob 12 kits to build a single car! Every use case is so specific though...it might be best to focus on things that are truly universal.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:19 PM, Spex84 said:

One idea I've been mulling over is a "project-saver" pack for hot rods with items that would have saved my stalled projects:  axle risers and blocks for setting ride height and stance. Wheel chocks to hold kit tires in place for mockups. And problem-solvers for the engine bay: remote oil filter, remote thermostat housing, modular hose bends, distributors, water pumps for converting kit race engines for street use, generators/alternators with brackets and appropriate pulleys, steering offset boxes, etc etc. The kind of stuff that could prevent a kitbasher from having to rob 12 kits to build a single car! Every use case is so specific though...it might be best to focus on things that are truly universal.

You're well on your way to helping us stop having to rob kits with your QC/crossmember sets. 

FYI- Rep and Min does a pre-drilled flathead crab distributor. Not saying you shouldn't do one, just relaying the info.

Any interest in LaSalle transmissions for the Olds Rocket? Or a Rocket in 1/16 scale?
I wanted an engine to drop into the '27 Ford roadster that I've been working on....and had the valve covers already, so it seemed like a no-brainer to make an Olds dummy block.

The project escalated into this: Olds V8 with Edmunds-style 2x4 intake, LaSalle transmission with Olds tailshaft and appropriate bellhousing, weedburner headers, and a siamesed mushroom-style air cleaner (kinda like the one in the AMT Mod Rod/Ala Kart kit).

I'm currently setting up the file to test-print with my 3D printer at home, but I need to order more resin. Woohoo!

OldsV8WIP_Aug102022-vi.jpg

On 8/11/2022 at 8:20 AM, larman said:

A LaSalle transmission in 1/25 would be great! That complete 1/16 Olds engine is really cool also!

I've uploaded the LaSalle to the Shapeways shop....it comes with one bellhousing for Olds, and two LaSalle boxes (because there's always another build that needs a transmission!).

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 6:26 PM, Spex84 said:

Any interest in LaSalle transmissions for the Olds Rocket? Or a Rocket in 1/16 scale?
I wanted an engine to drop into the '27 Ford roadster that I've been working on....and had the valve covers already, so it seemed like a no-brainer to make an Olds dummy block.

The project escalated into this: Olds V8 with Edmunds-style 2x4 intake, LaSalle transmission with Olds tailshaft and appropriate bellhousing, weedburner headers, and a siamesed mushroom-style air cleaner (kinda like the one in the AMT Mod Rod/Ala Kart kit).

I'm currently setting up the file to test-print with my 3D printer at home, but I need to order more resin. Woohoo!

OldsV8WIP_Aug102022-vi.jpg

Was this ever done in 1/25?

Charles

12 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

Charles

Here's a link to the transmission and some of the other items are in his store. I've gotten several of his prints and everything has been very nice, I always spend the extra couple bucks for the smoothest fine detail print.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P3GYZ77WT/lasalle-transmission-for-olds

On 11/10/2022 at 6:19 AM, Calb56 said:

Charles

If you are looking for a 1/25 Olds Rocket, your best option is the Revell '50 Olds kit.  I haven't quite got the 3D printed version whipped into shape yet (technical difficulties/lack of time).

*edit* The intake, carbs, air cleaners, and valve covers in that 3D render are already up on the MLM Shapeways store, and are designed to fit the Revell '50 Olds.

Edited by Spex84

2 hours ago, Spex84 said:

If you are looking for a 1/25 Olds Rocket, your best option is the Revell '50 Olds kit.  I haven't quite got the 3D printed version whipped into shape yet (technical difficulties/lack of time).

*edit* The intake, carbs, air cleaners, and valve covers in that 3D render are already up on the MLM Shapeways store, and are designed to fit the Revell '50 Olds.

Thank you Chris, I understand being too busy, I was just curious since the Revell kit tends to be spendy. On another note, I bought your 32 rear crossmembers and they're great, wondering if you've gone forward with center crossmembers too?

Thanks,

Charles