Model Cars Magazine Forum

MapleLeaf Modelworks

Hi all! Thought I should post some info about the 3D modeled parts I've made available via my Shapeways store "MapleLeaf Modelworks".

Most of the parts are 1/25, but there is a growing 1/16 section, including a 1930 Ford coupe body (either stock or with a 2.5" chop). 

For the deep-pocketed, there is a 1/8 scale '30 coupe as well. 

Rat rod grilles, hemi log intakes, a 6x2 intake for Olds Rocket, E&J headlights, fishtail exhaust tips, artillery wheels, WWII oxygen tanks, 60s-style Cal Custom 40-40 air scoops...it's all a mix of stuff that I've desired for my own modeling projects and thought others might like as well.

These parts can be 3D printed in either detail plastic (best finish for scale parts IMHO) or a more coarsely-finished white plastic for lower cost.  Both will require filler-primer and some sanding in order to be presentable. 

I hope to get around to posting some photos of actual printed items soon. 

Thanks for looking!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/maple-leaf-modelworks

MLM_Promo_May222018-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Would love to see that 1930 coupe in 1/8 scale. I have a friend on the other side of the world asking about it. He has a real one that is magazine quality and a driver. He recently took it on a 1700 mile road trip.

Edited by LDO
Grammar

On 5/23/2018 at 8:29 PM, LDO said:

Would love to see that 1930 coupe in 1/8 scale.

It's available! 

Here are some photos of parts that have had a light sanding and some primer. Apologies for the slightly blurry quality, this stuff is really small :D

Oliver rat rod grille:

Olivergrille5small-vi.jpg

Kelsey Hayes high-clearance ("milk truck") wheels:

KH_wheels3small-vi.jpg

WWII style Oxygen tanks:

O2Tanks2small-vi.jpg

Small scoops (sold in group of six), Stromberg carbs (same), and Cal Custom 40-40 scoops. The small ones had some filler primer applied, sanding, polishing, and Molotow chrome:

WedgeScoopsV1_Oct232017-vi.jpg

I mean I would like to see the body before ordering. I wonder about the accuracy of it. I recently spent about $450 US on 3 resin 1/8 scale bodies. Two need lots of cleanup. One needs major surgery to look right. I'm not trying to insult you, but many people are hesitant to part with their hard-earned money because buying aftermarket parts can be a big gamble. 

Edited by LDO
My dumb autocorrect

Understood! I'm the same way. I've made the '30 to the best of my ability but I'd be lying if I said it was perfect. Based on your stated concern, I'd imagine you might take issue with the rough finish that the large-scale 3D printed parts have (see the "TDR Nova" threads on MCM for examples of the same white Shapeways material). So even if the proportions of a car body are correct, it will require significant clean-up.

I have no problem with the surface finish. Not today's finish, anyway. I bought some parts years ago that looked like they were sand cast. I mean 1/8 scale parts with sand cast texture 8x bigger than it should be. My big concern is accurate shape and dimensions. I just got a 1930s coupe with a cowl that looks like the car has a fat lip and the whole area behind the rear window needs to be rebuilt.

Regarding the surface finish; I wonder about using a different material with a smoother finish. It may be brittle, but I also wonder about reinforcing the inside with a very thin layer of fiberglass. 

On 5/26/2018 at 6:04 PM, Spex84 said:

Here are some photos of parts that have had a light sanding and some primer. Apologies for the slightly blurry quality, this stuff is really small :D

I have a specific question about the Olds headers.

A pair of 1/25 scale lakes style headers for Oldsmobile engines. Designed to fit the Revell '50 Olds engine or the engine found in the Revell Orange Crate or Beatnik Bandit kits.
Intended for hot rods and rat rods; will not fit a stock '50 Revell Oldsmobile!
Designed with integrated turnout tips.

Are the heads in the Custom and Stock versions of the Revell 50 Olds different? I'm just confused because it says it's designed to fit the revell 50 Olds engine, and then it says it will not fit a stock 50 Olds. Or, do you possibly mean if the headers are installed on the engine it wont fit if it's installed in a 50 Olds?

Edit: I went ahead and rolled the dice anyway without waiting for your response :P

I'll be sure to share pics here when I receive my order.

Edited by Mr. Metallic
update

Hey Craig-- "Will not fit a stock '50 Olds" was a slightly tongue-in-cheek comment meaning that the lake pipes won't fit in the engine bay of a stock '50 Olds car.  Lol. It's confusing though, isn't it...I'll remove that note. 

I currently have an order incoming that includes those headers. I have my fingers crossed that my measurements and design were correctly executed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some examples of Maple Leaf Modelworks stuff from the order that I just got. Very happy with the quality of these parts, can't wait to use them

Shotgun and lakes style headers for the engine out of the Revell 50 olds

1/16 and 1/25 Stromberg carbs

Fishtail exhaust tips (note, they are molded open all the way back to where the frosted portion starts)

E+J headlights (note correct badge highlighted in blue)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the photos Craig. Can't wait to see those parts appearing on your projects!

Some more parts have been added recently:

(The intake with carbs was by request; it makes alignment easier by having the carbs and scoops pre-attached.)

YblockRib_V1insta-vi.jpgSPtops_V1insta-vi.jpg

DistribV8_MoparX6_V1Insta-vi.jpg6x2Revell4030_V1_insta-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations Chris!

I have a list of stuff to do, and not enough time to do it :D  I can add those things to the list. 

Grilles are tricky--the 3D printing service I use doesn't produce prints fine enough to truly capture fine grille bars. Photo-etch is probably still the best option for those. That's why the '50 Meteor bar works well; it's a very chunky piece. 

I don't own one of the Galaxie Ltd Chevies unfortunately. I'd read that the front corners of the body were maybe too angular. What feature of the kit grille is incorrect? 

• 7 months later...