Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished: Revell GT40 from Sebring 1966

Eric C

Just finished this up tonight. It's the Revell/Fujimi GT40 from Sebring 1966. Built OOB. Painted with 4 light coats of Tamiya TS-15 Blue then 1 light coat of Tamiya TS-19 Metallic blue topped off with 2 coats of tamiya Clear then rubbed out with Tamiya compound and wax. I like the effect of the metallic blue over blue. It keeps the color nice and dark and give just enough metallic with going over-board. I'm sure it's not the exact color of blue as it should be but it's close enough for the shelf. The wheels were painted with Testors Magnesium metallizer and cleared with testors dullcoat. The blue stripe on the tires was hand painted with Tamiya flat blue acrylic.

100_0584.jpg

100_0585.jpg

100_0587.jpg

100_0594.jpg

100_0591.jpg

Thanks for looking.

More pics here....

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/just...Sebring%201966/

Very well done. The closer you look, the more you see how clean your work is. If that's your version of a shelf model, I'm almost afraid to see one you'd take to a show! :shock:

Be very afraid. You haven't seen his 1/12 Tamiya Martini Porsche 935 yet :wink:

Excellent job, Eric! Very well done. It sure brings back memories; I was there in '66 when Gurney was leading in that car, broke down within sight of the finish, pushed the car across the line, then was disqualified. Ken Miles in the open top Ford GT was declared the winner.

Thanks again for stirring up the memories (I've just GOTTA get those old Super 8 movies on DVD).

66seb02z%20Gurney-Grant%20Ford%20MkII.jpg

Yep, that's the car. I would love to build an open top version to go along with this one. I love the GT40... period. It has to be my all time favorite car. I have a detailed build, with engine, planned for someday but who knows when I'll get around to it.

I thought about covering my headlights to make it just like the picture and may still do it someday. There are also a few other things that really need to be done to make the car accurate, like the second light at the top of the side number on the door should be added, etc... My Autolite sparkplugs decals are in the wrong place... :oops: LOL.

I have seen a couple of the GT40's in person at Amelia Island and I was lucky enough to get to hear them fire up the engines. Music to my ears!!!

Here is another picture showing the covers. Check the mechanic next to the left front wheel with the knockoff hammer! Looks slow but they got to be pretty good with those things.

66seb02y%20Gurney-Grant%20Ford%20MkII.jpg

The lack of advertising is refreshing; it doesn't even say "Ford" any place!!

super nice!

i do have a question: that number roundel on the back that goes over the scoop on the right side of the body...is that a separate decal to go over the scoop or did you somehow stretch the decal to fit? looks very cool like that. i have a couple of this model but dont remember examining the decal sheet too closely

super nice!

i do have a question: that number roundel on the back that goes over the scoop on the right side of the body...is that a separate decal to go over the scoop or did you somehow stretch the decal to fit? looks very cool like that. i have a couple of this model but dont remember examining the decal sheet too closely

Thanks,

the kit comes with a separate decal that lays over the rear intake but I chose not to use it. I painted that part on. I figured it would be easier to do it that way than it would be to convince that decal to lay down flat.

Thanks,

the kit comes with a separate decal that lays over the rear intake but I chose not to use it. I painted that part on. I figured it would be easier to do it that way than it would be to convince that decal to lay down flat.

Eric,

Did you use the kit decals? I am concerned that the decals may not be opaque enough over the blue.

John, I used the kit decals except for the small one that covers that rear intake. I had very little problem with the decals. A little micro-sol and they laid down pretty well. I had to cut them to lay down over the lights in the door and then touched them up with Tamiya white acrylic paint.

John, I used the kit decals except for the small one that covers that rear intake. I had very little problem with the decals. A little micro-sol and they laid down pretty well. I had to cut them to lay down over the lights in the door and then touched them up with Tamiya white acrylic paint.

Thanks for the quick response. Nice to know that the decals are opaque enough to cover well. How do you black out the the panel lines? They look very realistic.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Very nice GT40 Mk II. Just won the same kit off of eBay today, for under $30 (with shipping). I'm looking forward to building it. Any words of advice or warning? My plans are to use your suggestions for painting the kit. I hope mine turns out as well.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58