Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Dart GTS 340 Is Completed

mrmike

The interior is almost finished.  I realized that there is a tachometer and the instructions show it being mounted on the steering column which is a good location for mounting.  Every factory mounting for this particular car should be on the console just under the dash.  This is where I'll mount the tach.  I did a little detailing on the tach face.

More to come...

DartGTS28.JPG

DartGTS29.JPG

DartGTS30.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

It have been over a week since I have worked at all on the Dart GTS 340.  Since I had to fire up the paintbooth to paint another project, I shot the hood with another coat of Tamiya TS-54 Light Metallic Blue.  it came out nice and smooth!

DartGTS31.JPG

DartGTS32.JPG

DartGTS33.JPG

Thanks David and Anders!

I normally don't do this, but I found the firing order for the 340 engine and wired the engine this way.  I glued the ignition coil onto the intake manifold.  When that is dry, I'll add the coil wire to the coil.  I usually call people anal for going to this length, but I had to try it and it wasn't any more difficult this way.  I may do this more in the future as long as I am using a pre-wired distributor.  If I am wiring the distributor in my usual fashion with one hole, then I won't bother.

More to come...

DartGTS34.jpg

DartGTS35.JPG

DartGTS36.JPG

I got a 1/24 scale "Tuff" steering wheel from Mr. Prestigious who was going to use it in his '63 Fury Pro Street.  He was concerned about what colors that were available for this wheel and whether they would clash in his interior.  After some discussion, it was decided to go with the stock kit steering wheel and he gave me the "Tuff" steering wheel.  I placed the wheel on the bench and looked at it off and on during the last week or so.  I decided to use it on the Dart.  The kit wheel on the left and the "Tuff" wheel on the right.  While I am waiting for the pie plate decal to snuggle down on the air filter housing, I have it 99% finished.

More to come...

DartGTS37.JPG

DartGTS38.JPG

DartGTS39.JPG

I am attempting finish foiling the Dart with foil that has almost no adhesive on it.  I am struggling with this right now, but I will get through it with sheer determination.  I'm using Micrscale Micro Metal Foil Adhesive and the cleanup after the foil has been applied has doubled my usual cleanup prior to gloss coat.  Trying to use foil cut closer to the section I am foiling.  Touch up will be fun!

More to come...

DartGTS40.JPG

DartGTS41.JPG

DartGTS42.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after sitting on my hands for a week or two, I decided to clear coat the Dart GTS this morning.  Two mist coats and two medium coats of Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear.  I may do one more coat of clear and then wet-sand the body and hood.

More to come...

GTS45.JPG

GTS46.JPG

GTS47.JPG