Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which Cord Kit?

I had one as a kid and it was above my pay grade at the time. (1960's)

I don't remember who made it but do know it was 1/24 or 1/25 scale.

So now I need to know which one is a good one to build

I'm sure they all have their faults but just want one that is build able and is a decent representation!

Another vote for the Monogram.  No contest when compared to the multi-piece body, misproportions and other aggravations of the Pyro. The Pyro kit is also available in a Lindberg box, with great box art. Don't be fooled.  The kit inside is not great and is the same old Pyro Cord dating back to the 1950s.

Being originally designed for kid modelers, the Monogram kit is easy to build but still looks good right out of the box.  I've even seen some with the bodies not painted, only polished out, and they still looked good. 

If you want to go bigger, AMT did a 1/12 scale Cord.  It has not been in production for many years, so it might get expensive.

5 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Bob Shelton's resin hard top is luscious and was a point of passion for him. Built model and photos compliments of forum member Dr Plastic (Scott A. Bregi). Shown on the Monogram chassis.

P9070045-vi.jpg

P9070056-vi.jpg

Does look nice, color choice looks accurate for the time period. Beautiful car. 

I never considered anything else but the roadster, but this build makes me appreciate it's formal lines.

1 hour ago, Art Anderson said:

Here is an original All American Models '37 Cord Sedan (this one is the flat-back, non-supercharged version).  Bob Shelton, with my express permission, began recasting the two AAM Cord Sedans several years ago.

Art Anderson

Thanks for setting that straight Art. That hardtop just looks so clean and graceful.

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

Thanks for setting that straight Art. That hardtop just looks so clean and graceful.

Actually, it was never, ever termed a "hardtop"--in fact, "hardtop" as a generic term  (for a 2dr or 4dr pillarless steel topped car) didn't even come about until the first postwar GM "hardtops in 1950-51).  Cord called this body style the "Westchester Sedan".

ARt

2 hours ago, mr moto said:

Ditto on that! Excellent diorama, Ellen.

Thank you for the kind words Manuel. I am still getting requests to show this diorama as it was first constructed back in 2013 for the Southern California auto club . They decided not to keep it and it was sent back to me on the East coast