[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Oldcarfan27

Need acetate plastic parts for test.

I put a Q&A regarding removing paint from acetate plastic parts. I didn't get any responses. I also looked up any how to's on Google and didn't find any. So I'm going to assume that folks have had trouble with success doing this.

I want to conduct some tests and I need some material to use.

I'm asking for donations (including shipping) of ANY parts and pieces of acetate plastic cars from the early kits. It doesn't have to be complete or pristine, but it does have to have old paint on it and should be at least 2 inches long so it doesn't get lost in the cleaners. 

I want to experiment stripping paint using various chemicals and will post the results on some model car forums.

I want to do this so you don't have to.

PM me for my address.

Thanks for your help.

Post Script - If I get enough parts to use, I  also want to experiment on trying to permanently correct and straighten parts too. I will report results on this experiment as well.

If it's any help, I soaked some bits of a junked '55 Dodge promo in the purple pond to see if the factory paint would come off - it didn't.

Good luck with your efforts - I cut up the Dodge to get the quarter panels so I could cast them to put on one of my '50 Fords. Had to clamp the driver's side in a vise and CA glue a long bolt to the back to straighten it.

Good tips.

If you still have the rest, send it to me and I'll try other methods to remove it.

I've got different chemicals to try, but I don't want to use them on anything useful, I've read acetate is much more subjective to damage than polystyrene plastic is. So I don't want the guilt of ruining good parts.

I'd like to find a solution for all of us, to be able to save those old cars that sit in limbo in our parts boxes. 

On 5/24/2018 at 11:43 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Good tips.

If you still have the rest, send it to me and I'll try other methods to remove it.

I've got different chemicals to try, but I don't want to use them on anything useful, I've read acetate is much more subjective to damage than polystyrene plastic is. So I don't want the guilt of ruining good parts.

I'd like to find a solution for all of us, to be able to save those old cars that sit in limbo in our parts boxes. 

You also might want to try Totally Awesome at the dollar stores.  After soaking in purple power. I squirted some Awesome on a body and it help remove remaining paint. I haven't tried it alone to see if it stripped or not.