Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1963 Plymouth Fury. A Little More Progress.

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I am still making a little progress & doing a little experimenting.

The body is pretty close to ready for paint, but I had become very distracted by the big "holes" in the headliner of the body, so I gave myself two options.

either just fill the holes & sand the smooth, or fashion some sort of palatable headliner.

I chose the more time consuming path & opted for a head liner, which is being constructed with alternating strips of shaped sheet styrene & very thin plastic beading in between.

I will either paint this when it's finished, or give it the embossing powder treatment.

About half done now, but I will also do the C-pillar "sail panels" and I will possibly fashion a pair of A-pillar panels to be installed after the glass.

I know, I might be getting a little into the weeds, but it's a fun learning experience.

2v2JTKYLvxwUbWP.jpg

Keep in mind. the head liner does not go all the way to the edge of the top of the windshield. There is a metal trim about 1.25" wide that edges the upper windshield opening.

the rear edge of the headliner goes pretty much all the way to the glass but does have a smaller piece of trim but its not as wide of the front one is.

as far as fabric choice.

I would go with a flat  color of choice for the interior ,,, the  headliner in this scale isnt going to have any noticeable  texture to it

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Also, a 1963 Plymouth ( or dodge for that matter ) does NOT have the same fabric head liner material that runs down the A pillar like the later cars did. I think that started with 1968 models

They have a piece of hard metal trim, sometimes chrome trim moulding there instead

5 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Also, a 1963 Plymouth ( or dodge for that matter ) does NOT have the same fabric head liner material that runs down the A pillar like the later cars did. I think that started with 1968 models

They have a piece of hard metal trim, sometimes chrome trim moulding there instead

I think that would go for convertibles too Bill. Inside of the A pillars in my '65 Dart Convertible were definitely chrome! Looked nice, but was a terrific distraction depending on which angle the sun was hitting it. That may part of the reason they ceased that practice. It could be too much of a hazard when driving.

7 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Keep in mind. the head liner does not go all the way to the edge of the top of the windshield. There is a metal trim about 1.25" wide that edges the upper windshield opening.

the rear edge of the headliner goes pretty much all the way to the glass but does have a smaller piece of trim but its not as wide of the front one is.

as far as fabric choice.

I would go with a flat  color of choice for the interior ,,, the  headliner in this scale isnt going to have any noticeable  texture to it

Thanks Bill.

I was basically going to leave the front area of the roof with the space that's there and fill it for the most part with sun visors.

I need to leave a little bit of space, front & rear, to allow for glass installation anyway.

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion on the finish.

Most likely flat paint.

Steve

7 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

yes, I knew that.

I'll just have to research it and see if it is supposed to be painted, or chrome.

Steve

I'll be honest.

it might depend on trim level.

Belvedere may be int color, where as a Sport Fury might be chrome. ,,or vice versa

These are both guesses on my part. as I am not 100% familiar with these early cars as well as later sixties cars

Fear not,  model guy of the present! The answers to all (well, most) of your questions can be found in the 1963 Plymouth Interior Trim Parts Manual. Lots of drawings, plus material and part code info galore!

Pics of a '63 Fury (base model). The interior windshield post covers are chrome, not painted.

Jumbo Picture of '63 Fury - NDWK

Large Picture of '63 Fury - NDWK

Large Picture of '63 Fury - NDWK

Jumbo Picture of '63 Fury - NDWK

If you're interested in some more excellent interior/exterior reference photos, go to this link.

Edited by SfanGoch

If you want patterned headliner material and you are near a hobby store that sells sheet plastic, look at the sheets designed to build model railroad buildings.  Some of the smaller scale things like bricks or stucco actually look like patterned cloth when you use them in a model car. They certainly have more texture than regular flat sheet plastic.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I still have this project in the back of my mind.

The problem is that I can't find any time to work on it!

Been spending far too much time on home renovations! -_-

Steve

I can relate.  Luckily our house is done and on the market. So its get ready for the move time now

I've had ZERO modeling time the past 6 months. In fact a good portion of my stuff is already packed up. All the rest will be packed up the next week or so in plans for a cross country move. Probably be at least another 6 months before I can even  think about digging some projects out

Edited by gtx6970

Yep. I can definitely understand that. I still haven't started refinishing the kitchen cabinets and now won't be able to for at least 8 more weeks. That's how long my doc says it'll be before I can begin to walk normally again.

And the bad news is I'm not supposed to be standing or sitting up for extended periods for the first 2 weeks.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:40 PM, JollySipper said:

I want to see how you handle the interior  :)

I've been giving this some thought & it's been making my brain hurt!

I think that I've come to the conclusion that I might use most of the parts from the Linberg '64 Belvedere kit.

The upholstery pattern on the Johan '63 is correct for a "Sport Fury" but not a standard fury, yet I have not seen a Sport Fury with a bench seat.

The pattern on the '64 Belvedere is not correct for a '63 Fury either, but it's closer than the Sport Fury pattern.

Then there is the fact that the standard Fury did not have bucket seats!

You see now why my brain hurts!!! :blink:

So, in conclusion, I think I am going to use the interior floor, rear seat & buckets from the '64 Belvedere & then do some modifications on the door panels & use the '63 dash and steering wheel.

While it will not be entirely correct, I think it will be the best option without diving into a cesspool of modifications that I will inevitably wish that I would have avoided!

I would have just used the original '63 interior, but the engraving on the seats and door cards is pretty bad & removing the convertible top wells & widening the rear seat is more than I care to mess with.

Steve

Couldn't the buyer specify and pay an upgrade for bucket seats in a standard Fury? '63 and '64 would still be during the period of time that Chrysler was building all the special "race only" Super Stock cars. They were pretty lenient with "special order" requests on vehicles sold to the general public because of their involvement with both NASCAR and drag racing. 

I'm not saying the seats could definitely be ordered for a standard Fury. I'm just wondering if it was possible.

Edited by smhardesty

1 hour ago, smhardesty said:

Couldn't the buyer specify and pay an upgrade for bucket seats in a standard Fury? '63 and '64 would still be during the period of time that Chrysler was building all the special "race only" Super Stock cars. They were pretty lenient with "special order" requests on vehicles sold to the general public because of their involvement with both NASCAR and drag racing. 

I'm not saying the seats could definitely be ordered for a standard Fury. I'm just wondering if it was possible.

I'll buy that! ;)

Steve

Well, I continue to go deeper into this project than I had intended!

I still have not decided exactly what I will do with the seats, but I have started to modify the door panels to replicate a standard '63 Fury.

I'm cutting up a set of the panels from the Lindberg '64 Belvedere, scribing some lines to add trim to & adding the pleated panel at the top of the door.

Making that pleated panel is an interesting technique that I saw somewhere & thought that I would try it.

It entails making a pleated mold from the tonneau cover from the AMT '59 El Camino kit & then filling the mold with cheapo acrylic craft paint.

When it dries it gives you a flexible panel that can be cut with a scissors & glued in place.

The tan piece in these photos is the panel molded from acrylic paint.

This photo shows the original '64 panel on the top & the pleated section & revamped door panel on the bottom.

2v2Jg9ia5xwUbWP.jpg

This pic shows the same reconfigured panel on the bottom with the reverse side of the original panel that I am reworking for these panels.

I will be swapping the lower pleated portions of the door panels so I do not have to make new sections of those.

There will also be trim pieces applied to the scribed out sections of the panel to replicate the chrome trim.

2v2Jg9kJ8xwUbWP.jpg

2v2JgHpFFxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Can't wait tp see more Steve-I'm a Mopar freak and have been working on a 62 fury for a long time. In a pinch i needed a different chassis for it.I don't rememeber who made it but i put a 68-70 charger frame underneath it.It was too long front and back and so i  trimmed front and back length and it solved the problem.!!!

Edited by PARTSMARTY

3 hours ago, PARTSMARTY said:

Can't wait tp see more Steve-I'm a Mopar freak and have been working on a 62 fury for a long time. In a pinch i needed a different chassis for it.I don't rememeber who made it but i put a 68-70 charger frame underneath it.It was too long front and back and so i  trimmed front and back length and it solved the problem.!!!

Marty, weren't those unibodies pretty much the same save for the engine crossmember and wheelbase differences throughout the '60's into the '70's? I'm asking because I'd like to update a Johan or two using that frame in the future. Some don't mind, but I'm just not a fan of the molded in stuff at all.