Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wild Thing 2

1 hour ago, Chuck Most said:

Here's what I don't get- ever since Bugatti was revived in the mid '90's it's been a performance car. Weren't they originally luxury cars (with some performance undertones)? Imagine what kind of luxury you'd get for 8 million. 

They were first and foremost performance cars.  In the 20s, they were to racing what Porsche and Ferarri were in modern times. They were the fastest street legal cars you could buy. The Royale was their one and only pure luxury car, and that was a distaster.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I find it a little humorous that they build a radical modern car like this & still try to incorporate the classic Bugatti grille.

It doesn't work in my opinion.

It looks like it can't decide if it's a super car, or a vacuum cleaner.

Yeah.........no.

Steve

I agree! You would think they could re-design the grill to be aerodynamic, yet keep the Bugatti styling cues. Heck, even I could do it!

10 hours ago, 935k3 said:

Maybe some might like this one better. The Bugatti Vision GT. 1600bhp for a mere 8 milion dollars.

You can get a fairly nice private jet for that money... of course parking is a bit more of a problem.

Yep, that's ugly. But it's worst crime is being absolutely huge and grossly overweight. Sure, it's got tons of power, but it's still a massive, heavy , sophisticated barge. When reaching for the ultimate in performance automobiles, the industry is moving in the wrong direction. I can't subscribe to the method of creating as much power as we can, then building a huge and heavy chassis to contain it. Sure it's fast, but it must be a nightmare to engage in a spirited drive on twisty back country roads.

5 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

You can get a fairly nice private jet for that money... of course parking is a bit more of a problem.

Or a fully restored WWII P-51 Mustang...AND operate, maintain, and insure it for several years. 

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

Yep, that's ugly. But it's worst crime is being absolutely huge and grossly overweight. Sure, it's got tons of power, but it's still a massive, heavy , sophisticated barge. When reaching for the ultimate in performance automobiles, the industry is moving in the wrong direction. I can't subscribe to the method of creating as much power as we can, then building a huge and heavy chassis to contain it. Sure it's fast, but it must be a nightmare to engage in a spirited drive on twisty back country roads.

I bet I could get across the city quicker in my Miata!:D:D

You know those glue bomb early '60s models you see where the original builder tried to use ALL the kit's custom and racing parts, even just gluing stuff onto the hood and fenders if he had to to use it all? 

Yeah. It's like the full-size 21st Century version of that. :wacko: