Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 hours ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

Saw this on the "Old Motor" website...............1960s-Indiana-State-Police-Crusier-760x484.jpg.79b9d0a8a5f378e326e6ec874e628045.jpg

Unusual to see an Impala Hardtop as a Service Car and it looks as if it has the extra cost Lighting Group also. Note the white lens on the leading edge of the front fenders. This was an extra cost option, but may have been part of some Police Car Option were they could mount additional flashing lights. Thank you for sharing the photo.    

7 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Despite blowing up the photo I still couldn't make out the engine displacement call out on the fender emblem. I'd be curious as to what was under the hood. Cool photo!

I'm curious too. With those fender emblems, it's either a 396 or 427.  Both available in 1967 and I'd guess the 396.

But police contracts were a big deal for carmakers and police agencies often demanded and got some strange combinations. The California Highway Patrol swung a really big hammer with Detroit.  In 1955 Buick built 270 copies of the "Model 68" just for the CHP, a Buick Special body with Century engine and front clip. In 1961 Chrysler built a special run of 1,200 Dodge Polaras just to meet the CHP minimum wheelbase requirements.

Thanks to the OP for the interesting photo, and something different to do with the AMT kit. A couple of eBay vendors sell flat, non-SS hoods for that kit.  Other than that it looks like we just need Poverty Wheels, a roof gumball, spotlight and 2 lights for the package tray.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, High octane said:

Why is it unusual to see an Impala as a police car? When the taxpayers dollars are being spent, the "sky is the limit."

The reason I thought the body style was unusual was that it was a two door hardtop, and they usually used four door body styles regardless of model line.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, Phirewriter said:

Despite blowing up the photo I still couldn't make out the engine displacement call out on the fender emblem. I'd be curious as to what was under the hood. Cool photo!

Not always, but normally Chevrolet would color the engine displacement in red for the 427 and black for the 396. Either would be a good Pursuit vehicle.      

• 3 weeks later...

That Indiana State Police Impala cruiser was one of approximately 50 that were built for service on the Northern Indiana Toll Road, Which extends from the Indiana side of our state line with Ohio, just outside the small Indiana town of Angola; to just east of the City of Gary Indiana,  and is the majority of the Indiana leg of Interstate 80.  That toll road operates separately from all other routes of State and Federal highways in Indiana--for decades operating under the control of the Toll Road Commission, and for the past roughly 20 years, by a private consotium who leased it for 99 yrs from the State of Indiana.

There is one known example of that fleet still in existence, at the Indiana State Police Museum at Stout Field at Indianapolis.

Art