Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Polara

James2

After picking this one up last week, I disassembled and gave it a good soaking in Super Clean. The chassis and interior were coated with the customary model paint smothering.

But the body and glass are in great shape! The only thing ever applied to the shell were decals, same for the glass. Lots of ample glue piles under the hood and in a few other spots.

I think another soak and some careful cleaning this resto will be under way. I'd like to use these wheels and tires, the extra bumpers, scoop and decals are bonuses.  

2v2JDMJDyxAghwd.jpg

2v2JDMJ45xAghwd.jpg

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Always a nice find!

I picked up a fairly nice built "flat box" kit a little while back.

The original with the correct Polara side trim are getting very difficult to find.

Steve

2v2JtGSMdxwUbWP.jpg

Nice,

Ive got 2 clean builder drop tops.

And yes, I have a soft spot for the  1964 Dodges

20 minutes ago, James2 said:

Web search had me wondering about the trim? 

Were there options or is this one incorrect?

The later kits were changed to a racing version.

I believe that the only real difference from the early kit was the omission of the side spear & the absence of stock wheel covers.

They are still a very nice representation of a '64 Dodge, but without the Polara trim.

Steve 

30 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The later kits were changed to a racing version.

I believe that the only real difference from the early kit was the omission of the side spear & the absence of stock wheel covers.

They are still a very nice representation of a '64 Dodge, but without the Polara trim.

Steve 

That’s kinda what I thought. 

• 5 weeks later...

I had some time this weekend and thought I start the body work on this one. After washing and wet sanding I found that the trunk lid had four sink marks and the was a nick in the rear window chrome trim then got everything filled and smoothed.

Thought I would try some Dupli-Coat Primer! What a mistake that was...

I have told myself a hundred times just stick to what works. Into the Purple Pond and start over...

serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bnamodelworld.com%2Fbmz_cache%2F6%2F692bd303044706d8f48073b2f7425b9a.image.846x950.jpg&sp=d5c0fe46ce399f1f6166c932c9a9ecf0

Last week I was able to not only get the primer on but managed to shoot some Dupli-Color also. I tried the pre-paint method for the BMF on the script which did not work out to bad. Unfortunately my foil had little to no stickiness and I had to abandon the foiling process for now. Disappointed in that but, pretty happy with the body so far.

2v2JhfFKyxAghwd.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

First time using Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint, cleared and polished. After setting for a week the BMF was applied. Pretty happy with the results and the cost savings not using Tamiya paint this time. This will most likely get put away for some time while I finish up another project.

2v2JCg3m8xAghwd.jpg

2v2JCg3h2xAghwd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...