Model Cars Magazine Forum

i feel for this guy

this really stinks for this guy. this was in front of my apartment this morning. i went to the super market because i only had canned ravioli to eat. i almost went on that road too until i started to pull up to it and saw how much it was flooded. 

lucky i didnt go that way. i have a small car. i didnt think the storms were so bad to cause this

20180527_070430.jpg

This reminds me of this funny thing that happened to me years ago. I used to have a chopped S-10 with hydros. It was pouring rain all day and I was on my way home on a road with a short dip that was notorious for flooding. There was a late model Vette following me. We got to the flooded dip and I slowly entered to water and knew it had to be about 10" deep. I watched in my rearview mirror as the people in the Vette were shocked at how quickly it got so deep and that this idiot was trying to cross it in a lowered mini truck. I waited as long as I felt safe then hit the switches. I had 8" cylinders in the front and 12's in the back. The look on their faces as my lowrider turned into a 4x4 was hilarious.  I went abut my way home while they had to back track about 15 miles to get to a road where they could go another route to detour around.

36 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Why is he trying to cross that? Very stupid move.

the water seems to have gone down now and the car is gone. i dont know if it was towed out or if he came back. i imagine towed

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

and watch the height of your distributor.  As bullet proof as slant six engines were,  the distributor was low on the passenger side, very prone to getting wet!

It's Distributerless, each plug has it's own coil mounted to the valve cover directly above the plug, also above the headlights!

1 hour ago, High octane said:

If you go in nose first the air box is going to take in water, trust me.

I figure at that point, I'm going to be going for a swim anyway and will need to bail from the car. At least it's not like the '15-'17 models, those pull air from the bumper and would suck in water then shatter the bottom ends on the 3.6l.

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

and watch the height of your distributor.  As bullet proof as slant six engines were,  the distributor was low on the passenger side, very prone to getting wet!

Don't I know it! I once owned (early '80's) a '65 Dart Convertible with a slant six. One time during a heavy rain, I wanted to just zip through what I thought was just a puddle of water. Nope! The water was high enough that it splashed underneath the engine and just enough to zap the distributor.

Sure enough, I'm sitting there waiting for the rainstorm to calm down enough so I could take things apart and dry things out. But hey........as a 22 year old I didn't think twice about things like that back then! Nowadays as I'm a "bit older and wiser", I sure DO think twice about driving through standing water.

As they say........."Looks can be deceiving!"

14 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

I figure at that point, I'm going to be going for a swim anyway and will need to bail from the car. At least it's not like the '15-'17 models, those pull air from the bumper and would suck in water then shatter the bottom ends on the 3.6l.

Doesn't matter where the water comes in, trying to compress a liquid in an engine is not going end well.

On 5/27/2018 at 5:44 AM, Classicgas said:

Never try to cross a flooded road. You really have no idea how deep it is. Water can have alot of power behind it.

That's why we have a "Stupid Motorist Law " Here in Arizona.:P Drive in. YOU pay for the rescue / tow , what ever it takes, no free ride.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:11 AM, Psychographic said:

This reminds me of this funny thing that happened to me years ago. I used to have a chopped S-10 with hydros. It was pouring rain all day and I was on my way home on a road with a short dip that was notorious for flooding. There was a late model Vette following me. We got to the flooded dip and I slowly entered to water and knew it had to be about 10" deep. I watched in my rearview mirror as the people in the Vette were shocked at how quickly it got so deep and that this idiot was trying to cross it in a lowered mini truck. I waited as long as I felt safe then hit the switches. I had 8" cylinders in the front and 12's in the back. The look on their faces as my lowrider turned into a 4x4 was hilarious.  I went abut my way home while they had to back track about 15 miles to get to a road where they could go another route to detour around.

My kind of person!

Not sure why, unless it's what was on my radio at the time, this video came almost straight from my dash cam with just minor clipping the begining and end of the footage.

That first road though,  I couldn't see how bad it was until I was in the water due to the rain.