Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testor’s clear window glue

I bought a bottle of Testor’s clear glue for the windows and headlights. I’ve never used it before. At first is came out as a thick white paste. Then it started coming out as a clear liquid. I looked at the bottle and there is a white block of stuff in the bottle. Is this suppose to be there or is it bad. I just bought it at Micheal’s last week. Thank you.

ALL the white "canopy" glues are chemically the same as "Elmer's" white glue...PVA, which is polyvinyl-acetate.

They ALL should be white, of uniform viscosity with no clumps, and they ALL dry clear.

They are ALL water-soluble before they dry, and what YOU have is some that's settled and almost dried out, probably from sitting on the shelf for years. The "clear" stuff you see is mostly water that's separated.

You SHOULD be able to stir it and shake it back into an even consistency, possibly needing to add a few drops of water.

My particular go-to is this:

Image result for micro mark krystal klear

I've had great luck lately with Aileen's Tacky Glue, available at Walmart. It seems stronger than Elmers (and way cheaper than Micro Kristal Klear), but can still be removed from styrene or paint if you really need to. 

I have used a product called Gallery Glass that I got at Michael's. This was suggested by someone on the Forum and has worked well. For Headlights I still prefer just good old Future as it will usually flow behind the Lens and show the detailing in the Headlight bucket.     

I've tried a lot of the glues mentioned here and always come back to Formula 500 canopy glue.  It gets tacky a little quicker the the others I have tried, so you don't have to sit there squeezing the part in place until your fingers cramp.  You have to go to a R/C shop to get it, but then I use several things from the R/C end of the hobby so it is not all that surprising that I would find this useful. 

Bill states that all these adhesives are chemically same as the Elmer's white glue.  But doesn't' the Formula 500 glue adhere much better to smooth surfaces than Elmer's?  Elmer's can easily be peeled off smooth surface. Elmer's when dry is not crystal clear. It has slightly milky look, while Formula 500 dries crystal clear and glossy?

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Bill states that all these adhesives are chemically same as the Elmer's white glue.  But doesn't' the Formula 500 glue adhere much better to smooth surfaces than Elmer's?  Elmer's can easily be peeled off smooth surface. Elmer's when dry is not crystal clear. It has slightly milky look, while Formula 500 dries crystal clear and glossy?

It's actually Formula 560 canopy glue made by Pacer(Zap a Gap). I find it stronger than other white glues and I use it for allot more than clear parts.

index.jpg

Edited by 935k3