Model Cars Magazine Forum

'36 Ford 3-Window Coupe Resto Rod

Bernard Kron

DSCF6473_web.jpg
’36 Ford 3-Window Coupe Late-50’s Style Resto-Rod

The Resto-Rod style of street rod was born of the realization among hot rodders in the late 50’s that the popular pre-war hot rod body styles, especially Fords, were starting to get scarce and that these classic bodies were at risk of disappearing under the welder’s torch. So rodders began preserving the original bodies and trim, while hopping up, restoring, re-upholstering and repainting the old cars in the hot rod style. This AMT ’36 Ford 3-window coupe is done in the early form of the Resto Rod style as it would have been seen in the late 50’s, particularly in Southern California. Finished in Duplicolor Bright Red, the body and trim is completely stock except for the deleted rumble seat handle. The roof height is stock, too. But the stance is lowered 4 scale inches all around and the rolling stock is classic 50’s Firestone DeLuxe white walls (courtesy of Scenes Unlimited)  with flipper hubcaps taken from an AMT ’40 Ford Sedan Delivery kit. The interior was redone in scratch-built tuck and roll and a ’40 Ford steering wheel. The motor, a tri-carb Pontiac V8 from the AMT kit, is classic late 50’s vintage. Given that this AMT kit was first introduced in 1961 I would think this sort of car was certainly one option the kit’s creators would have had in mind.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF6427_web.jpg
DSCF6478_web.jpg
DSCF6435_web.jpg
DSCF6443_web.jpg
DSCF6470_web.jpg
DSCF6477_web.jpg
Interior_Web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Beautiful, and thank you for the Flash Back I got from looking at this. I followed your build and really liked how you did the interior. The Hub Caps and the red plastic Fuel Lines really put it in the proper time line.

Thanks to you all for the generous appreciations. I've always considered the '35-'37 Ford two-door bodies (especially the 3-window and the roadster with their longer doors) the pinnacle of 30's "Deco" streamline body design in a mass produced car. E.T. "Bob" Gregorie, head of Ford body design, and close ally of Edsel Ford in the inside battle to modernize the company as it competed with GM, doesn't often get the credit he deserves for the unbroken line of superb designs he created across all the Ford brands until his premature retirement at the age of 38 in 1946. He was a master of the style and the model 40 and its successors were among the finest popularly priced automobiles of the pre-WWII era.

The beauty of the design motivated me to stick with the original and focus on my personal "holy grail" in modeling, the Clean Build. I've been chasing it ever since I returned to modeling almost ten years ago. Really fine technique gives you the freedom to stay focused on the overall look with the confidence that you won't detract from it by drawing the viewer's eye to flaws and shortfalls. I'm not there yet, and truly immaculate builds still leave me stunned and envious, but sticking close to the basic design and the resources an excellent kit like the AMT '36 Ford offers, is an opportunity to take another swing at my goal.

Thanks again for all the kind words. As always, I'm grateful when a model makes the connection...