Model Cars Magazine Forum

911 GT2

IJ001

How weird, I only took mine off the shelf on Saturday to think of what to do with it! Race, Rally, Road? Well I think I've found some old decals for it as a race car (I tested the GT3 last year!). But I'm pleased to say that mine is gloss white out of the box. It must have been shocking opening the box to a black bodyshell! But there is one race version that is black plus decals. A Taisan Starcard race car.

I've found a few white decals so the base colour is going to be red or blue, possibly with a camo style paintwork.

Anyway yours is looking good already with the red to start with Ian, so I'm looking forward to watching the rest of your build. I only got it off the shelf waiting to watch the Porsche Super Cup race at the Monaco F1 weekend.

PS.. we were down in NZ in February this year on a cruise ship out of Sydney, stopping at Aukland, Napier , Dunedin and Wellington on the south island but couldn't stop at Christchurch as there was a typhoon there the day before! But part of our last few days was cruising through the Fjordlands!

Edited by PatW

Thanks for the input everyone - The kit has been with me since November, but you may remember I stole the decals from it for my Supra 'What If' build over the Christmas holiday.   Moving-on, I started the decalling this afternoon, using a Scale Designs (Silver) sheet - never heard of them before, but I tell you the decals are absolutely top-shelf notwithstanding they're twenty years old.  Stay tuned, more pics when the 'stickers' are all done.

Ian.

e 1.jpg

That looks so good Ian... I've discovered that decaling is my favorite thing to do when I build models (at least for the three I have done).  It is amazing how much it transforms the car.  I just love the look of race cars with lots of cool graphics and colors.  And you set the stage perfectly with your painting and masking prior to decals.

Thanks all, really appreciate the comments. No work on the Porsche today - day (and night) job getting in the way - Tomorrow will be easier so I hope to 'Klear' (US = Future) all the transparencies and the bodyshell. No access to Zero or Gravity paints in New Zealand so we make do with good ol' Johnsons !

AFN

Ian.

21 hours ago, jchrisf said:

what did you paint it with Ian?

Tamiya 'Pure White' (TS-26) and 'Italian Red' (TS ?)...

The Klear / Future is hardening now, ready for polishing-out tomorrow. If I have time, hopefully I can do the final assembly & reveal, but I'm not rushing at it at this late stage. Already looking through the stash for my next victim !! - Could be a NASCAR as I haven't done one for a few months.

AFN

Ian.